Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #1

Mechanical knowledge

I am going to test your knowledge on why some Nomads get better MPG then others. I ride a 05 Nomad and now have about 22,000 miles on it. Let me tell what I have done to try and make it breathe better. I removed the stock air cleaner and installed a Hypercharger. I took off the stock pipes and put on V&H pipes. Put on a Cobra FI2000. After doing that, I went for a test run and only got 25 MPG. I then put the marble in the tube. With the California special, I have a set of vacuum tubes coming off the tank and the tube that went into the cross over chamber from the stock cleaner, I attached it to the Hypercharger. I also turned most of the settings off on the Cobra. That typically got me about 33 MPG at 80 MPH.

Recently, my MPG has dropped to less then 30. So I removed the vacuum tubes off the tank. Put back on my stock pipes. Checked the TPS and I am within factory setting. Even removed the Cobra FI2000. These changes has not made any improvement. I shot some carb cleaner down the throttle body and my idle RPM went up some and does seem to start better.

Reading some of the threads, I see some get up to 40+ MPG at cruising speed.

My question is this. Given what I have done to try and figure out what the problem is, what could I check out? The only thing I can think of is the injectors are spraying too much fuel. I have never had problems with pinging and do run injector cleaner in the gas every couple of months.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #2

Mechanical knowledge

I know how you feel. My beast has a TFI fuel do-hicky, Jardine noise makers, and Hypercharger air sucker thingy. And my MPG was why off. I tweaked this and that still no fix. Finally A Bro recommended that I get the thing dyno'ed. It was worth the time & money and it finally helped me fine tune the bike for the best fuel mileage and performance. 32-35MPG CITY, 45MPG+ HIGHWAY. And I get 8.9 more ponies. The dyno also let you know were your running rich or lean in the power band. Sport bike dudes do it all the time.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Mechanical knowledge

My bike is stock right now and only gets 42mpg when I keep it at 60 to 65 indicated on the speedo. When I'm rolling at 85 indicated ( about 78 actual ) my mileage drops to around 30. Also have noticed that this FI bike and my previous carbed bike got better mileage during warmer weather. In other words mileage on both went down with denser air at colder temps.
Performance and mileage do not go together. You have changed so much on your bike and tried to put it all back. Sounds like the carb cleaner has made some improvement. You might want to try to run a tankful of gas with a bit of Seafoam in it to see if you get any improvement. While you are going for mileage keep the beast at or below 60 indicated.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-15-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Mechanical knowledge

Or your clutch could be slipping causing you not get less mpg

check this linkhttp://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm

VBA #00077

Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Mechanical knowledge

Good points Guys: I just calculated mine on a 150 run and got 42 mpg exactly runing 65-75 on speedo. My '05 has V&H bagger pipes, stock air cleaner and no fuel processor thingy. I think the more things you add on the worse the mpg get. Im happy with what I have now. the dyno is the best idea probably to really FIND your sweet spot. Good Luck.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #6

Mechanical knowledge

Try a tankful of fuel with Seafoam added to it, It made a difference of about 20 miles to the tankful on my bike. However since I replaced my clutch spring , my mileage went down about 30 to 40 miles to the tank , and the exaust smells rich compared to before. I think I must have a vacumm leak to check out. Iridium sparkplugs are said to have made a difference also. Tire pressure can make a difference, check them at least weekly as a lot of tires leakdown slowly over time.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #7

Mechanical knowledge

My 2005 has no mechanical changes. I run synthetic oil. I get 40-42mpg consistantly no matter what speed. As long as I don't "drag race" through the gears.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #8

Mechanical knowledge

Flightdoc: my bike did run like yours ,about 44mpg with V&H pipes and a K&N filter, but something changed all of a sudden. It still runs good, Just gets crap mileage and stinks compared to before.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #9

Mechanical knowledge

Quote:
Good points Guys: I just calculated mine on a 150 run and got 42 mpg exactly runing 65-75 on speedo. My '05 has V&H bagger pipes, stock air cleaner and no fuel processor thingy. I think the more things you add on the worse the mpg get. Im happy with what I have now. the dyno is the best idea probably to really FIND your sweet spot. Good Luck.
Doc, you just put V&H Baggers on and didn't change anything else and it runs good and didn't lower your milage? If that is the case I may have to go to after market pipes.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Mechanical knowledge

Topcat: Correct I changed to V&H pipes which I like alot and get 42 on last checked mileage. Around town I just get about 30-32 which around this city thats good, too many stop lights. The new pipes will make your bike pop on deceleration but I dont mind.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #11

Mechanical knowledge

After reading all the help, I think the best will be to do a dyno. After I got the bike, I had one trip that I was pushing 50 MPG at about 70. I thought this was the best bike one could get. Then the bike stalled out as I was slowing down one day and from that time on, I did not get the same MPG. That is one reason I have tried the TFI thingy, V&H baggers, and Hypercharger. Trying to get more air through it. Reason for putting the stock pipes back on is I developed a spiral crack on the back header pipe on the V&H. So I had to do a little welding and put it back together. I did not get any throttle down popping until the crack started to develop. I like the pipes and will put them back on.

I also agree that sometimes as the air gets colder, mileage may decrease. However, when I make that hot summer run North out of Vegas to Idaho, the bike runs better as the air cools down and the humidity increases.

Here is to great winter riding in Vegas.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #12

Mechanical knowledge

I second that!! best time to ride is now. I've been hearing thats a common problem with the VH's. I installed a bunch of pipes for friends & the VH's were always a pain to put on, but they do sound real good!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Mechanical knowledge

Just have a dremel too handy when adding the V&H pipes and lightly grind the inside weld on the front portion of the muffler about 2 winds around and it will slide home. My V&H pipes have popped from the day I put them on about 6-7 mo. ago.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #14

Mechanical knowledge

seems adding the pipes and new mapping device may give a bit more power but really decreases mpg. Not sure if it's worth the trade off. My nomad goes pretty good stock. wife and I can cruise down the interstate comfortably at 70+ mph with a full load. That's good enough for me on a bike like this.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #15

Mechanical knowledge

My bike sucked gas bad after putting on all my new mods, 29-30MPG (V&H pipes, BAK, PCIII) But once i got it dyno'd it runs like a screaming whore and i get about 35 to 37 Hwy depending on how much i crack the throttle. I usually ride at 70 to 75 hwy. If I ride her hard at 85+ MPH I drop down to 32 to 33MPG. City riding is always right on at about 32MPG. My two cents.