Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #16

I have 05 Nomad, doing some mods now. Put Paul Yaffe classic 12" apes on last week. Best change that I've made. Love the height, pullback and the best is grip angle. They put your hands straight instead of angled out. Very comfortable . Changed front brake lines ( Galfer Brake Lines) that comes with everything you need, simple change out. Extended wires on left and right side. Ran those thru bars. Jared has a great video and pics talking you thru the whole process. Taking New Reckless fairing to paint shop tomorrow. Changed out grips, while I was doing this. Oh, I purchased bars on Amazon, great price. Everyone was out of the Santee 11" Dresser. They are back ordered, couldn't' wait. These I installed are just like the Dresser Apes. Just not 1 1/4" diameter tapered. 1" all the way. My clutch line was fine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #17

Often times people forget about seat thickness and design in this whole equation. Different seats will affect your ride stance, reach, height, etc too.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #18

I sure do like the hidden wire look . I wanted to try mini apes for awhile but didn't want to spend a whole lot until I tried them for a while . I ordered the harley 12" chrome werks "300012" . These seem to be a popular bar so I thought I'd give them a try.
The big plan is to get the 1 1/4" fat bar and do the same . Flat break light with signals in the bags and paint .
My wife keeps asking "are you done yet ? " and I just smile and say " for now "

Old 06-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillybagger View Post
I have 05 Nomad, doing some mods now. Put Paul Yaffe classic 12" apes on last week. Best change that I've made. Love the height, pullback and the best is grip angle. They put your hands straight instead of angled out. Very comfortable . Changed front brake lines ( Galfer Brake Lines) that comes with everything you need, simple change out. Extended wires on left and right side. Ran those thru bars. Jared has a great video and pics talking you thru the whole process. Taking New Reckless fairing to paint shop tomorrow. Changed out grips, while I was doing this. Oh, I purchased bars on Amazon, great price. Everyone was out of the Santee 11" Dresser. They are back ordered, couldn't' wait. These I installed are just like the Dresser Apes. Just not 1 1/4" diameter tapered. 1" all the way. My clutch line was fine.
Would love to see some pics . Sounds very nice . By the way " welcome to the forum" Glad to have yah !!!

Old 06-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS_JOE View Post
Often times people forget about seat thickness and design in this whole equation. Different seats will affect your ride stance, reach, height, etc too.
Your very right , 1" of seat height can make a big difference . I'm using the standard stock seat and plan on redoing it with studs " new leather of course "

This will probably be something I'll have to get use to .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #21

Ridefree, did you every receive your apes and get them installed? I was finally able to remember to take a picture of the set up I have. I installed the Paul Yaffe classic 12" apes and was able to keep the stock cables. I extended the electrical, but that is because I ran the wires inside of the bars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150619_130342.jpg (95.0 KB, 61 views)
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50
And restoreing 1979 Honda CB750k

Old 06-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillisfire View Post
Ridefree, did you every receive your apes and get them installed? I was finally able to remember to take a picture of the set up I have. I installed the Paul Yaffe classic 12" apes and was able to keep the stock cables. I extended the electrical, but that is because I ran the wires inside of the bars.
Yes , but I'm waiting on the new grips before I install everything . Right now I'm trying to get a bug out of the system so it's down for awhile . I may have to break down and take it in .

Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
This is what mine looks like with the fairing installed last week.
I'm still making modifications but it works.

I was actually looking to try that handlebar out as well to see how it feels on a long trip. I just took a 3 ride a day after I put my fairing on it and I was very impressed on how well the ape hanger and the fairing worked for me.
Thanks,
I've been trying to figure out what bars would work.
These are perfect.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 06-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is what mine looks like with the fairing installed last week.
I'm still making modifications but it works.

I was actually looking to try that handlebar out as well to see how it feels on a long trip. I just took a 3 ride a day after I put my fairing on it and I was very impressed on how well the ape hanger and the fairing worked for me.
I ordered this set of bars Tuesday night and they came Wednesday night from Amazon. They sure shipped fast and free too.
In sizing them up, I may have to reroute my brake line.
I'll try to get them on soon and I'll let you know.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 06-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #25

I just am finishing up the Khrome Werks 12" apes on my 2000 Nomad. The brake line came no where long enough even on the standard factory risers. I couldn't find my special brake line stretcher tool, so had to order a longer line. Clutch line behind triple tee worked ( replacing this winter)for now and wiring and throttle cables were long enough in stock version.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #26

Oracle's mini apes are on my bike now! The only issue I had was the front brake line. I had to have one made longer than stock. Will also do the clutch line in the future as its a little more tight than I care for, but it works for now. It rides much better now. My back is in a better position and controlling the bike seems much easier.

Ride Safe
Eddie R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3685.jpg (46.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3688.jpg (52.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3691.jpg (54.7 KB, 53 views)

Old 06-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie R. View Post
Oracle's mini apes are on my bike now! The only issue I had was the front brake line. I had to have one made longer than stock. Will also do the clutch line in the future as its a little more tight than I care for, but it works for now. It rides much better now. My back is in a better position and controlling the bike seems much easier.

Ride Safe
Eddie R.
Those bars look great with your bike . I've got my bars and waiting for grips to come now . I'm just going to set them aside until I get the gremlin out of my bike .
Still waiting for my Dobeck EJK to arrive . When all is good I'll do my install and post some pics .

Old 06-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #28
Advanced Member

I don't know how anyone could make the original lines work with these bars. When you put the bars beside the original they set 6 inches higher.
Anyway I ordered galfer clutch and break lines 6" over directly from Galfer today.

Should be in next week.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 06-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie R. View Post

Ride Safe
Eddie R.
Hey Eddie.
I'm glad it all worked out for you Eddie. Sorry everything didn't fit as well as you and I thought it would but man that's a great looking bike. It's surprising how much easier it is to maneuver the bike once you've gone to mini apes...
Once again, it was a pleasure meeting you brother...

VROC #36658

-viajar con pasiĆ³n

Old 06-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #30
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey Eddie.
I'm glad it all worked out for you Eddie. Sorry everything didn't fit as well as you and I thought it would but man that's a great looking bike. It's surprising how much easier it is to maneuver the bike once you've gone to mini apes...
Once again, it was a pleasure meeting you brother...
Did you have to extend the electrical wires or did you just pull them out.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio