Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #1

Do you have running lights in your trunk?

Do have the brake and directional lights working on your 1600 nomad trunk? If so how did you get the wiring into the trunk and were did you tap into the bike. I should add i am using a wompas rack also.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike58 View Post
Do have the brake and directional lights working on your 1600 nomad trunk? If so how did you get the wiring into the trunk and were did you tap into the bike. I should add i am using a wompas rack also.
I don't have a Nomad trunk but I drilled a hole in the bottom left front corner of my trunk. I tapped into the harness under the seat. I ran all of my lights and accessories through a fuse block and relays, that way no added load on the stock electrical system. I made the harness with DT connectors. That way its modular and can be easily removed. Got them off E-Bay for a good price. They are easy to work with and are water tight. Solder and heat shrink the connections that are not in the DT connectors.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

When I installed the trunk on my 2007 Nomad, I had turn, brake and running lights in it as well as 12v for a power port. I bought a 6 pin male/female connector set made for trailer wiring to make a quick-disconnect harness.

The best place to tap into the rear wiring is just beneath the seat. If you follow the wiring harness that passes through the rear fender forward, it will end in a 6-pin connector in the battery compartment where it plugs into the main chassis harness. Connect to the taillight harness near this connector. I don't remember the pinout on the connector, but a meter or test light should make it pretty obvious which pin is brake, rturn, lturn, tail, and ground.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

I have turn, brake and running lights in my ultra classic trunk. I also have the kuryakyn run, turn, brake controller. I use LED bulbs in the trunk (red) and wired the HD harness thru a quick disconnect (which also has the speaker wires going thru it too) and connected it in parallel to the kury controller. I have a total of 5 running and brake lights, and 2 either side directional lights. I also made a quick disconnect for the antenna coax. the first pic shows the rear of the trunk, the second shows the quick disconnect just to the right of the tag (over look the dirt please)

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #5

VulcanE - nice looking trunk! I like the NOMAD emblem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #6

Thanks Robert. I need to get a more recent pic to use. I've switched all my clear lenses out to red, cause the clears hazed over after a while, and the NOMAD emblem is a tailgate emblem for a '57 Chevy Nomad.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

I have the same setup as VulcanE, tied in under the seat to the oem wiring.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #8

Haven't wired mine yet. I have the Ultra Classic trunk but it doesn't have the rear lights only the small light strips under each side. Basically running lights only, no signal.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgconstable View Post
Haven't wired mine yet. I have the Ultra Classic trunk but it doesn't have the rear lights only the small light strips under each side. Basically running lights only, no signal.

The tail lights are the only difference between an Ultra Classic, and a Classic king tour Pak. You can add the tail lights, but it involves cutting the corners out of the tour pak, and drilling a couple of holes.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #10

Thanks VulcanE.. I can go without. :-)

Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #11

Be forewarned, the trunks on ebay with lights are LED, you have to add inline diodes and resitors to get a combo of running and brake or running and signal.

Just an FYI