Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Advanced Member

How to remove windshield scratches?

Hello all
I have read several other forums, websites to include Gadgets but I was wondering if anyone has a "secrete" way to remove medium to fine scratches from the Nomad's windshield?
I am looking to reduce them by at least 75% or better, obviously totally goes without saying...
;)
Thanks ahead of time...

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #2

I have heard that regular tooth paste is a good way to start but it did not work for me. I don't know if my scratches are to big/deep for that method but I have tried any of the other methods.
Sorry that I don't have a better answer, just wanted to share my findings.

I have been considering these products as I have had very good luck with other products from Maguiars.
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer%20(Meguiar's %20Brand)%3EClear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=15101

Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Thanks OP
I was trying to find one that I have heard a lot about and that is Novus Plastic Polish.
It comes in 3 types.
So far I can not find it in any of our local stores.
I was hoping not to have to order it online...
Thanks

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 03-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #4

I use Novus #1 regularly for cleaning and polishing, and it does a good job at that. It won't remove scratches of any significance, however. I advise against using Novus #2 and/or #3, as I once used Novus #2 attempting to remove deeper scratches...it wound up cutting through the winshield coating and making a real mess of things.

If you haven't already, look for Novus products at marine dealers; hardware stores; and auto parts stores. All of them carry it around here.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #5

Ah yes Novus. I totally forgot about that. I may have to look for that to try as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #6

From the Novus polishing tips:

Coated Plastics
Some plastics are coated with a thin film which may be damaged by the abrasives in the polish. NOVUS No. 2 and No. 3 Polishes are not recommended for use on coated plastics or eyeglass lenses.

Lots of polycarbonate windshields have a UV film on it. My windshield does too. How do I know (?) I removed scratches as well as the film, which isn't as noticeable as the scratch that was there. The scratch was really noticeable and pretty deep.

My windshield is a labeled a Panlite sheet pc-7112. I know some folks have polished the scratches out using these products with great success. Makes me wonder if the film is getting polished out of if Kaw has different windshields, some with film some without. I have posted a pic of the film-less spot on by bike before but cant seem to locate it today.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #7

If I ever get scratches deep enough to worry about,this is how I plan on fixing them. http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=229

Of course,I won't worry about it after I get my fairing.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Nomad "Darksider"
If I ever get scratches deep enough to worry about,this is how I plan on fixing them. http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=229

Of course,I won't worry about it after I get my fairing.
Probably in my future soon enough...