Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 08-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

I know this is controversial, but

Sorry, I PM'd the original poster over on the VRA forum and asked if it was OK to post his thread here and he asked me to take it down.

Per glwilson's comment, I have re-posted the original post but have changed all names.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Top Cat; 08-30-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Advanced Member

We can't read it...

Old 08-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #3

Link only take us to the login page, not to the thread.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #4

That's a shame. I can certainly understand the OP's viewpoint.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 08-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

I was in a pretty bad accident back in 1980. Had numerous broken bones and road rash, and spent time in the hospital, and to this day, I still say the reason I'm still here and ridding is because I was wearing a helmet, and I know the helmet took a lick that would have busted my skull, 'cause the helmet was busted. I may not wear a full face most of the time, but I do wear something all the time.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

I did have a chance to read his thread before you took it down, and while I understand his wishes I also thought it worthy of being spread around. If one person is saved by those words then it was worth sharing.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #7

I agree Norm, that is why I posted it.
BUT, the original poster did not want it left here so I have to follow his wishes
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Sorry, I PM'd the original poster over on the VRA forum and asked if it was OK to post his thread here and he asked me to take it down.
Change the names to protect the innocent and tell us a similar story.

After reading the other responses, apparently it was about an accident of sorts.

I always think hearing about accidents help others to remain aware of its cause(s).

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #9

OK, good idea Greg.
Here is the post, names were changed.
The pic refereed to in the text was not posted with the article.

Tomorrow is Joe's funeral. I'm planning on riding there. I feel rather conflicted on this. Pardon the rambling nature of this.

Joe was a friend. We didn't agree on everything. Morally, we differed. Organizationally, we differed. He helped me with planning our annual event the past couple of years by planning ride routes and scheduling the shooting range. He took over planning this year's and next year's event as I was/will be occupied with military. I didn't agree with some of the decisions, as they've lead to a loss of attendees in the past.

He was an avid no-helmet rider. I'm an avid no-helmet-law kind of guy, but I always wear mine. For me, it's about responsibility to my family. I feel the same with seat belts and car seats - they're personal responsibility and should not be legislated.

Joe turned left in front of a moving truck. He may have had a green arrow and the truck a red light, but I don't know for sure. They collided and Joe was thrown from the bike and hit his head on the pavement. As you can see from the picture, it wasn't that hard a hit - the bike is repairable. I firmly believe that had he worn a lid, he'd be telling us how either he or the driver was a dumbass for running a light.

As some of you know, I've had two accidents. Both were single-vehicle incidents and both were caused by errors on my part (speed, front brake on gravel). Both resulted in damage to my helmets. The first was so slight that I didn't even know it happened until days later when I took a close look at it. The second was quite pronounced.

In July, another friend had an accident on his restored 78 Kaw. Terry is not sure why, but it got into a tank slapper at about 70 MPH. He spend about 3 weeks in the hospital and has numerous surgeries ahead for his knee and wrist. He has given up riding for good. He's lucky to be alive. It was a MUCH worse accident than Joe's.

Anyway, I feel like I'm going to a funeral that shouldn't be. Joe should be getting out of the hospital and nursing broken bones and bruises, like Terry. I should feel sad. I feel angry. Not at the truck that hit him, but at Joe for not taking responsibility for his kids, the kids and grand-kids of his girlfriend (whom he developed a relationship with) and for his friends.

Yes, I believe that God calls us home when it's our time. I also think God gave us free will and that plays a part. I think that God puts us into situations where our choices have consequences. I don't believe he's got a book up there with times and dates and "bingo" no matter what you do, you're done. To me that goes against free will. And if we don't have free will, then we're all puppets in a sick, twisted play.

Anyway, I'm going to ride to a funeral tomorrow. I might punch the corpse in the face. Out of respect for his family, I won't. But, I'll want to.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #10

The helmet-choice has been a controversy since helmets were created.

Just like almost anything, one's actions have consequences, not just for them, but for an unknown number of others. This story is a good example.

So when I hear someone say; "What I do is my business, it is my choice and freedom", I have to question whether they include others in their statement, who might be affected by the consequences of their choice.

This applies to drugs, drinking, and any other decision one makes that could cause harm to them self. There are almost always others who also suffer if things go bad because of a choice made.

Personally, I always wear a helmet. I was in a bad accident, and I believe my helmet saved me from severe injury. It still hangs in my garage as a reminder, in the event I ever remotely consider not wearing one.

However, I never jump on anyone for not wearing one. I just hope they have given it thought.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 08-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #11
Top Contributor

I am sure most have a helmet/no helmet story to tell. Here is mine.

I was 21 years old at the time and a guy coming the other way in a van figures he has enough time turn into a side street across my path. He was wrong. I hit the side of the van and went right over it. I landed on my back with my helmet hitting the ground hard enough to knock me out. Luckily I was (and always have) wearing a helmet. I have worn a full face helmet ever since they became available.

It makes me cringe to see anyone riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

I wear a helmet, but if someone else chooses not to, that's not my concern.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I wear a helmet, but if someone else chooses not to, that's not my concern.
I can understand what you are saying Scott. Someone else's business is their business.

I think the person who created the original message that was re-posted was going through the "What if??" scenario. What if his friend had worn a helmet that day? Would he still be alive today?

This past Monday I was at the memorial service for a friend who was killed in a motorcycle accident. I don't know all the specifics but what I do know was the he was riding a HD cruiser that he planned to sell. He had taken the HD on trade on a car and seemed to have no interest in the bike whatsoever. I believe that he had ridden dirt bikes as a teenager but don't think that he was at all experienced on bigger bikes. When I heard the sad news I was thinking the "What if's". What if he had never gotten on that bike? What if someone came along and bought it before he rode it? What if he has stayed at home and worked in the yard that day and not gone riding?

I think that in these cases where we lose a friend or loved one we always wonder if there was something we could have done to prevent such a loss.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 08-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
I can understand what you are saying Scott. Someone else's business is their business.

I think the person who created the original message that was re-posted was going through the "What if??" scenario. What if his friend had worn a helmet that day? Would he still be alive today?

This past Monday I was at the memorial service for a friend who was killed in a motorcycle accident. I don't know all the specifics but what I do know was the he was riding a HD cruiser that he planned to sell. He had taken the HD on trade on a car and seemed to have no interest in the bike whatsoever. I believe that he had ridden dirt bikes as a teenager but don't think that he was at all experienced on bigger bikes. When I heard the sad news I was thinking the "What if's". What if he had never gotten on that bike? What if someone came along and bought it before he rode it? What if he has stayed at home and worked in the yard that day and not gone riding?

I think that in these cases where we lose a friend or loved one we always wonder if there was something we could have done to prevent such a loss.
Just curious , was your friend wearing a helmet.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-01-2016, 06:00 AM   #15
Advanced Member

We all know that people die every day.

Maybe wearing a helmet would have saved a life.

Maybe wearing a life preserver would have kept him from drowning.

Maybe she were in a Hummer instead of a civic she'd be here today.

I only he had eaten better, not climbed that ladder, etc.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad