Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #1

Chuckster's Dual-Plate Setup - Thoughts

I received Joe Norris' Dual-Plate Intake kit a couple of days ago, and today I finally had a chance to get it out onto the open highway for a test. I bought the bike with the Vance & Hines Dual Baggers already installed. Later I added the Dolbeck TFI P&P unit and today was the final piece.

The installation process went pretty smoothly, even for a klutz like me. An hour later, it was ready to go, sans K&N filter, which arrived just today. A quick visit to Gadget's site provided me with some baseline settings for the TFI to compensate for the additional air (2:30, 6:00, 1:00, 9:00), and after making the settings changes, I was off.

The very first thing I noticed was how much more smooth the throttle was. That alone put a "wow" on my lips as I was headed out of the neighborhood. Seriously, I haven't ridden a bike with such linear throttle response since the '92 Shadow I used to own. I love that!

Once I got out to the main road leading to the highway, I couldn't stop myself after I made the turn, and romped on it - hard throttle in 1st, dropped it into 2nd and twisted as far as it would go. The bike just growled in response and took off. The power wasn't snap-me-back-in-the-seat; it was more of a powerful pull that, before the intake, wasn't there. Before I knew it, I was doing 60 in second gear.

Big-Papa-Grin!

As I began to let off, I remembered that before the intake install, letting off while doing 60+ in a lower gear would result in a few backfires. After the install? Nothing.. just a smooth slowdown. Muuuch better! I was hoping the intake kit would fix that, and it did.

The real test was when I arrived at the pump. Even with the TFI, I've always had to put 93 octane in it to avoid pinging. I stood there for a second, wondering if I should risk a tank of mid-grade. I figured, "what the hell," and filled up on 89, then took it out on the highway.

For the rest of the ride home, about 5 miles, I tried everything I could to get it to ping. Even at 25 mph in 3rd gear, giving it full throttle, I couldn't do it.

Pulling back into the garage, the next thing I noticed was how cool the motor was compared to before the intake was installed. From the "tink, tink, tink"'s that were coming from it, it sounded like I only went around the block, not gave it a good thrashing for six miles.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with this setup. My Nomad runs better than ever. The sound coming from the pipes is deeper and full-throated, it runs 89 octane without pinging (YES!), and got a nice increase in power to boot.

Thank You - to the folks all over this board that make stuff like this possible. Trip, Joe Norris, and everyone else that contributes on this board.

Ya'll rock!

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #2

Told ya....

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 12-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Told you....
LOL. Yes sir, you did! And I took the advice too, but Ann wanted to get me the intake for Christmas, so that's why it took so long! Still, I'm like a kid that just left the toy store with a new rocket. Can't wait to go riding tomorrow!

KawaNOW Oldschool #885

Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #4

I'm using the single plate, but yes, I agree.

MT
VBA 936

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #5

yep! made a difference with my de-affled stock pipes, no fuel processer. Also noticed a little more umph! and a better sound. Nice mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Did you do the coaster plates too?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #7

Thanks for the post !! Nice write-up..

Isn't a great feeling to release some more of the pure power our scooters have.

2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #8

The intake is a must on our 1600 engines. The stock intake is soo restrictive! Who thought it would be a good idea for the air to inter on the left side, go in a tube, going through the hot cylinders, and then enter the throttle bodies on the right side? It’s a horrible design in my opinion. Most intakes only provide a slight performance increase but because of the poor stock design it seems to make a much more drastic change on our bikes!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to dabull

What is the difference between the dual intake setup versus the single side setup?? balanced looks? more power?? And if there are differences, what are they? TIA......

Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBull
What is the difference between the dual intake setup versus the single side setup?? balanced looks? more power?? And if there are differences, what are they? TIA......
No difference in performance for either one, just personal preference. The dual plate kit keeps the balanced look and stock configuration or the single plate system is used when you want to have just the right side and remove all the other components from the left along with the cross over tube.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to dabull

Thanks Joe....so to do the dual intake, what would be needed to order? The dual kit, coaster plates(?), spacers(?)

and crossover tube just stays in place?

Thanks again!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #12

Derry, All you need is Joe's dual plate kit, which has all of the needed hardware and a K & N E-3402 filter. Crossover tube stays in place and is blanked off with the inside plate. Filter fits between the plates and you keep the stock dog bowls on both sides. Instructions come with the kit.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Make the next tank full 87 octane. That is what this comp ratio should be rated for anyway.

Then see if you can get it to ping, and when you can't send me a 6 pack of La Batts

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #14

Ann & I took the bikes out today for a 327 mile ride through the piney woods of east Texas. If you look on Trip's personal site, part of the route included the Poynor Byway.
It was a fantastic day. Perfect for riding.

I did run a full tank of 87 through the Nomad after i used up the mid-grade from yesterday, and it didn't ping once through the entire tankfull. I'm liking that very much. Average mileage for the day was 32 mpg, and I confess I played with the newfound power a few times in the twisties today! . But I might need to back POT 1 & 2 off just a hair before the next ride. The motor feels a little rich. We'll see.

For those curious, I left the left side air cleaner and other stuff completely in-tact, more from laziness than anything else. It's all non-functional anyway and having left it there
will ease the transition back to stock if/when I decide to sell it.

Anyway, wanted to update the thoughts on the new setup after a good day in the saddle. To sum it all up, I should've done the TFI & intake the day I bought it!

Now Mac - I am a self-described Beer Snob. LaBatts?? That watery stuff? What's the point??

Ya'll come on down here to Texas, warm up, take a ride or three with the Mrs. & I, and have some real beer! A good Heffeweisen or a Brown Ale. One you cant see through! A beer that, when you finish it, you feel like you just had a good meal!

And If you're of a mind for tradin', I'll whip up some good Texas BBQ for some of that homemade maple syrup any day!

KawaNOW Oldschool #885

Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBull
Thanks Joe....so to do the dual intake, what would be needed to order? The dual kit, coaster plates(?), spacers(?)

and crossover tube just stays in place?

Thanks again!
Derry,
That is all you need, the dual plate kit and the E-3402 filter. You can add the coasters in if you prefer, those give the bike engine a cleaner look too.