Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Reasons to wear riding gear

I went through several states this summer and enjoyed the 10,000 plus miles of riding. It could have been a whole lot different if I wasn't wearing riding gear. Consider why going without a helmet and face-shield is not a good idea at touring speeds.

Montana has what I call epoxy bugs. These nasty things are trained to miss the windshield and hit dead center on the helmet face-shield with a very solid impact. Using multiple cleaners and ten to fifteen minutes of careful work visibility can be restored. The splat rivals any epoxy found in the local hardware stores. Without a good face-shield I would have been blinded or at the very least had to have stitches. The bugs in South Dakota and Wyoming are gooey and usually hit the windshield.

Next on the list are the birds in the rural areas. I missed all but one medium size bird and took a hit to the top of the helmet. Another one of those attention grabbing moments at 70 mph. If anybody thinks they can duck fast enough, good luck. No damage to the helmet, at least it wasn't my bare head.

Fortunately I missed the hail but still saw a lot of bad weather in one form or another. I learned years ago never leave home without cold weather gear even on a day ride. The temperature extremes ranged from 32 to 120 degrees. I used every bit of my heavy gear more than once throughout the trip.

The most dangerous things on the road are rental motor-homes. Driving down the middle of the road and will always cross the center line on corners. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were banned from the highways.

One final suggestion. I drove with my bright lights on most of the time. I noticed a lot of other riders are finally doing the same thing this year. People are paying less attention and aren't seeing other cars much less motorcycles.

Ride safe and think seriously about protecting your eyes and other valuable body parts when going for a ride.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

Great advice MarkG

I always drive with my high beam headlight and driving lights on during the day. It does get more attention than the low beam. I will be going on a 4000 mile trip next month and will have all my gear also.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Top Contributor

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

Well heeded advice... As a friend of mine likes to say, "keep your head on a swivel". You, are your best defense. Being seen goes for what's behind you as well as on coming traffic. Have your escape route planned for that driver with tunnel vision, that only sees the the vehicle AHEAD of you. Being deep trunked, while stopped, will really screw up your day.

Ride safe everyone....

Cheers, David

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 08-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Some humor mixed in with the serious reading is great. I personally crashed in June
of 2000, if it wasn't for the gear I would have been ripped apart. Had to replace some leather but it saved me. Thanks for sharing this. Be Safe.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads