Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #1

final drive help

I have an oil seal leak on the tire side of the ring gear on the final drive.
Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...4455#sch291987

I'm looking at part number 92049B

I need to remove the seal and replace it but 'm not sure how to remove it. I'm wondering if I have to separate the gear to remove it or just stick a pick in it and pry it out and tap the new one back in.
Anyone done this yet? I read Rings write up in the tech section of this website and it happened to be the only seal he didn't touch in his write up... go figure.

Thanks for any help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #2

final drive help

Easy fix, if you're sure that's where the leak is. You'll see right away once the tire/rim is off to verify that's where the leak is coming from. Pop the old seal out with a lip seal remover, or a flat blade screw driver, not much holds it in. Make sure not to use any sharp tool that could nick the housing or the output shaft assembly. If the new seal has a visible spring in it, make sure to pack the seal with an oil soluble product ( lubri-plate ) so when you tap it into place the spring doesn't become dislodged. If the seal is a none spring style, then put a small amount of liquid gasket maker on the outside of the seal ( very small film ) then slowly work the new seal over the splines of the output shaft making sure not to damage the sealing lip of the seal, then with a soft mallet, tap the seal into place until flush with the housing.

Forgot to mention that once the old seal has been removed, carefully check the seal running surface of the output shaft to make sure it's not grooved up. If it is, there is a produce called a "speedy sleeve" that can be installed over the shaft for the seal to run on a new like surface.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #3

final drive help

I replied to your pm, and Voyager gave you some good advice also. As I mentioned in the pm, dont start taking the ring gear apart, that will open a whole can of worms that you don't want to do.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #4

final drive help

Thanks guys!
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to jack something up and regret it later. I really need to get a service manual for this bike already!
I ended up drilling a couple holes in it... carefully drilled a couple holes in it and pried it out.
It looked scratch free on the inside and I'm not quite sure why it was leaking but it is. I cleaned it up good and pushed the new one in by hand.
voyager thanks fr the tip of filling the backside of the seal so as not to lose the spring!
Ringadingh thanks for the drilling tip to help pull the seal out!
Oh and under the tech section you said you might be able to do it while the final drive is on the bike... I now know that I wouldn't want to do it while on the bike:)

So, does any one know what the torque of the bolts that hold the ring gear to the final drive case are? There are two different size bolts which I imagine means two different torques. For a 2004 1500... I really need to get a service manual ::)

Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #5

final drive help

There is a procedure in the shop manual that explains how to do it, there are some critical tolerances though, thats why I would avoid taking it apart. The same goes with the pinion gear as well.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #6

final drive help

I'm just talking about putting the two halves of the final drive back together. You had them apart in your write up... you happen to know the torque on the bolts?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

final drive help

Based on what I see here ( http://www.gadgetjq.com/torquesettings.htm ) under Final Drive/Final Gear Case Cover Bolts (8 mm)/Final Gear Case Cover Bolts (10 mm).
I'm going with 17 ftlb on the small bolts and 25 ftlb on the larger bolt.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #8

final drive help

That should work fine, I didn't use a torque wrench when I did mine, I only used a ratchet when I put it back together.

VBA #27
VROC #18951