Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #1

New ride (sort of)

Since Vickie got her own bike I decided to remove my passenger seat, rear rack and back rest to try the solo look (she won't be needing it for a while). I really like the look and it seems to handle like a different bike. I guess this is because I may sit back a little further on the seat than I did with a backrest. It even feels like the bike sits lower. I found today with a 50 mile round trip that I seem to slouch more and it makes my back a little sore (I'm old). I still like it but after removing my Fire & Steel backrest there are 4 bolt holes in the fender. Is there a rack for the fender that matches the holes or are there black or chrome push in plugs available to cover them? I also saw the leather covers. How do they mount? (require any new holes?)
Zoom

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #2

New ride (sort of)

Yeah, I cruise in solo mode from Sept to May. It's too cold then for my wife to ride so I just take it all off. The leather strips will go on under the rear bolt of the main seat and use the original bolt from the rear of the passenger. I would bet they will hide the holes from the beackrest. All the models online will tell you how wide the leather is, just measure how much you wuold need.

I have the mustang and would prefer the tuxedo brand. I think mustang is kinda cheap on these. All they really care about are seats. If you wanna go real badass, get the solo rack that fits the yamaha vstar and lay it on top of the leather bib. That looks real nice. You have to drill out a hole on the Rack , but not the fender of your bike and it will lay just right.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Advanced Member

New ride (sort of)

Gotta love the solo look on these bikes.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #4

New ride (sort of)

When you solo the bike it really changes the whole look of the bike. they look lean and mean when there done like that.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #5

New ride (sort of)

Ck out Spirello's bike... his is one of the better "solo" Nomads I have seen.

Just my opinion.

PS: PM Spirello. He will be more than helpful in letting you know all the "things" he has used to make his bike look great. By the way... his is black also.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #6

New ride (sort of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom45
there are 4 bolt holes in the fender. Is there a rack for the fender that matches the holes or are there black or chrome push in plugs available to cover them? I also saw the leather covers. How do they mount? (require any new holes?)
Zoom
The Mustang Leather fender bib is mounted by the screw in the back of your seat and another at the end of the bib on the fender - existing hole.
I found black plastic Auto trim plugs to look a LOT cleaner, about $4.99 for several. Just force them into the existing screw holes. When I convert back to double-up, I usually just pull the plugs out with needle nose pliers.
This works great for black bikes - for colors, I suppose you could dupli-color the plugs before mounting.

Hope that helps.