Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #1

"Claying" my bike

Last week I read an article on how to tell if the paint on your bike/auto had contaminants embedded in it. Basically you wash it and dry it and then slip one of those small plastic bags used to wrap sandwiches for a lunchbox over your hand and run your fingers over the paint. If there are any contaminants you'll feel them. My paint felt smooth as a baby's back side to my naked fingers but with the baggy on it felt like 200 grit sandpaper.

Ordered the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Special from Autopia. It arrived in time for me to use it last weekend. I washed the bike real good, dried it off and used the clay as directed. To say I was surprised when the baggy test revealed the same sandpaper results after all that work is an understatement. I did it two more times - same thing.

Two suggestion for anyone thinking of claying their bike:
1. If your bike isn't brand new or you have never clawed it and the paint feels like sandpaper when you do the baggy test don't buy the Ultra Poly (or fine) clay. Get the medium abrasive and use as directed. The Ultra (fine) clay isn't abrasive enough to do the job. After you remove the contaminants with the medium the Ultra/fine should work ok for subsequent claying.

2. I purchased my products from Autopia Car Care. I emailed their Customer Service explaining my results as above. I asked if I might have done something wrong. They replied very quickly stating that they suggest using a medium abrasive clay or a Nanoskin Towel which has a clay like product embedded in it. They said if you drop the towel you can rinse it off and reuse it where if the clay is dropped you throw it away. The towel should be good for 40 motorcycles. They offered the clay or the towel, Iron-X and special lubricant for the towel as a replacement at no charge or if I preferred a full refund and I can keep the original product I purchased. In today's retail market it's refreshing to come across a company that puts customer service as a priority. I will definitely buy from them again.

I'll attempt to post some pics after I finish round two of this chore. Being retired sure gives one a lot of time to get himself in predicaments.

Login or Register to Remove Ads