Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #1

Ugrade to newer or put money into 2009

I have a 2009 Vulcan voyager with 12,000 mile on it. Runs great however i love the newer colors and id like ABS. Than being said my bike probably needs rear shocks because they dont hold air for long and I have been thinking of ivanizing.

Is it worth buying a new/newer bike just for color and ABS or should i just refresh my black and blue beauty?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Refresh!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #3

You should do what ever makes you the happiest.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #4

'You should do what ever makes you the happiest."

And what you can afford...

Old 09-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Its not just ABS it is Also K-ACT. It creates a different Animal. Breaking is different. You can not use the rear to slow you down into the corners, the front also brakes. You need to slow before the corners. Breaking in the corners is..Umm.. uncomfortable. It takes some seat time to get comfortable with. And you really need to bear down on the brakes (and I mean really hard) to enable the ABS. Which is when I think you need them=Panic Stopping. But it is different. They grab hard on the front when you use the rear peddle. Even though only 1 caliber on the front is activated by the rear peddle, and Both front activated on the front lever.Try to test one out before you buy.

Just my opinion though, But I do have the 16 Vaquero. 4300 miles and still learning the braking system. You can't drag the rear brake like you maybe used to, and taught how to do. I'm thinking it is a 60% front 40% rear in the K-ACT breaking. I maybe off a few %.

With a 2009 1700 Not much has changed since you bought it. And with only 12000 miles in those years you maybe looking at a new investment, with some severe depreciation on the current one you have.

Try the Ivan Flash first, and then think about it. If you do sell it will be easier to sell with the Flash anyway. Nobody wants down time to send it in when they just bought a new bike.

Just a few thoughts, Ride safe

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

Get the new

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak602 View Post
I have a 2009 Vulcan voyager with 12,000 mile on it. Runs great however i love the newer colors and id like ABS. Than being said my bike probably needs rear shocks because they dont hold air for long and I have been thinking of ivanizing.

Is it worth buying a new/newer bike just for color and ABS or should i just refresh my black and blue beauty?
I had a 2009 non ABS and traded it in for a 2013 and then to a 14 (Red/Silver)

There are Changes - the biggest being the KAMS system - it does help in keeping heat off from the Driver and Passenger.

Get the new one - Transfer any of your Accessories you want to keep and get it Ivanized - If you go new you will have a 3 year warranty.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

I can tell you from 100% experience that you will need to change no matter what. The fact that you want a different color suggest that you will not be happy with your current bike. I completely know where you coming from. Last year i had one of the best bike i ever had(2010 nomad) But i couldnt get pass the color scheme, well i ended up with a 2010 Voyager and trust me, just by looking at it it makes my happy as hell.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

Let me be clear, I dont hate the color. I had no idea Kact affected the normal braking of the bike.

My rear shocks dont hols air well. Any Siggestions?

My bike is pretty flawless. Maybe i can update it and add a cruiser to the mix.

Ideas???

Anyone upgrade their speakers to something better than stock??

Old 09-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #9

Ohhh, for some reason i thought you didnt like the color at all.

Check out progressives shocks, they are pretty good and (imho) at a good price.

As far as speakers, aftermarket speakers aren't much of a difference. Only way to add better sound would be by adding an amplifier to any aftermarket speakers.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #10

Refresh! New progressive shocks, new speaks. I use a JBL Wireless Bluetooth anchored to the back of the windshield emblem. Awesome sound. No other speaks on my Nomad. I don't trust abs on my car & don't want it on my bike. I've saved myself often with short controlled skid. Probably would have wobbled & lost it with abs. I like my Nomad enough that I can't imagine any bike I'd rather have. Can't wait to hit 50k miles & go for 100. Don't care how old a good bike is. Repaint if you want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #11

Please tell me more about the jbl wireless.
What series progressive.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #12

If it was me I'd upgrade. Find something new that best suits your needs, colour, styling, comfort, performance etc, even if it's another brand. But keep in mind there is no such thing as the perfect bike.
2012 Triumph Thruxton
2010 BMW R1200RT
2010 BMW K1300S
2009 Honda Deauville
2008 Triumph America
1997 Kawasaki ZX-7R
1989 Yamaha Virago 1100
1994 Honda CBR 1000F
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 1100fi
1989 Honda CBR1000F
1979 Yamaha XS 1.1
1985 Kawasaki 250LTD

Old 09-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #13

Ok - ABS/KACT.

#1 - Don't let anyone on a forum talk you out of the ABS/KACT due to their perceived ability to control the braking on a non-ABS unit. If they can do that they are in a very elite group. But for the average Joe (Which I am) The ABS/KACT can save your bacon.
For the average rider knowing what to do in a PANIC situation is where the ABS/KACT takes over. When you are in trouble! And probably not thinking clearly.

#2 - The KACT (Linked braking) is great my opinion. With over 70 some thousand miles on an ABS/KACT Voyager I can say that the ABS may have operated 2 or 3 times (And it kept me from dumping it). Now the KACT operates every time I ride it. What the KACT does is it keeps the 900+ lb bike from NOSEDIVING straight line or in a corner. The best I can describe it is that the bike just squats down evenly when you apply the brakes. Imagine going into a corner and needing to apply the brakes on a non ABS bike. The first thing a non ABS bike wants to do is Stand Up when you apply the front brake taking your line away from you in the corner. If you are going to fast and nail the rear brakes the rear tire will want to step out on you. On the KACT Voyager If you are going through a corner to fast and need to hit the brakes to just slow down a little, the bike does not porpoise if you get on the front brake - it just squats down in the corner without wanting to stand up.

I've had them both 09 Non ABS, 13 and 14 with ABS there is no way I would ever go back to one without the ABS/KACT (linked) brakes.

Good luck on making your decision. I originally ordered the bike you have 09, Blue, and Non ABS. It was my dream bike. Then they started hitting the dealerships - Gold was the first one my dealer could get. So Gold became my favorite color - Until there was a Blue 13 with ABS (that didn't wobble), Then the Red 14 - now my favorite.

Here is one final question - Has the 09 had the head bearings replaced? and does it wobble?

Old 09-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #14

I have not replaced any bearings and I have no wobble.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #15

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
Ok - ABS/KACT.

#1 - Don't let anyone on a forum talk you out of the ABS/KACT due to their perceived ability to control the braking on a non-ABS unit. If they can do that they are in a very elite group. But for the average Joe (Which I am) The ABS/KACT can save your bacon.
For the average rider knowing what to do in a PANIC situation is where the ABS/KACT takes over. When you are in trouble! And probably not thinking clearly.

#2 - The KACT (Linked braking) is great my opinion. With over 70 some thousand miles on an ABS/KACT Voyager I can say that the ABS may have operated 2 or 3 times (And it kept me from dumping it). Now the KACT operates every time I ride it. What the KACT does is it keeps the 900+ lb bike from NOSEDIVING straight line or in a corner. The best I can describe it is that the bike just squats down evenly when you apply the brakes. Imagine going into a corner and needing to apply the brakes on a non ABS bike. The first thing a non ABS bike wants to do is Stand Up when you apply the front brake taking your line away from you in the corner. If you are going to fast and nail the rear brakes the rear tire will want to step out on you. On the KACT Voyager If you are going through a corner to fast and need to hit the brakes to just slow down a little, the bike does not porpoise if you get on the front brake - it just squats down in the corner without wanting to stand up.

I've had them both 09 Non ABS, 13 and 14 with ABS there is no way I would ever go back to one without the ABS/KACT (linked) brakes.

Good luck on making your decision. I originally ordered the bike you have 09, Blue, and Non ABS. It was my dream bike. Then they started hitting the dealerships - Gold was the first one my dealer could get. So Gold became my favorite color - Until there was a Blue 13 with ABS (that didn't wobble), Then the Red 14 - now my favorite.

Here is one final question - Has the 09 had the head bearings replaced? and does it wobble?

I agree with you 100%

I had ABS on my 2008 HD Ultra Classic and after that I wouldn't go without them. I do think that the KACT linked system is much better than what was on the '08 Ultra Classic.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625