Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Question mechanical seal replacement

Replacing mechanical seal in water pump. Old seal came out in two pieces and liked to never got the impeller off shaft. There is no corrosion on outside of impeller. End of impeller shaft and inside of impeller had a little corrosion which is probably why it was hard to get off. I have new mechanical seal, new housing gasket and two new housing bolt washers. Now that I have it all apart, I can see an o-ring on the end of the impeller shaft that has a piece out of it. I will order that and I am wondering if I shouldn't go ahead and replace the rubber seal and sealing seat in the base of the impeller. I have the impeller housing and mechanical seal chamber all cleaned up. I can't order any more parts until Tue. when local dealer opens. Is there any thing else I need to know or replace while I have everything apart? Bike is a 2008 Nomad and I change the coolant every 2-3 years.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #2

Wasted day

Well I replaced the mechanical seal, o-ring on the impeller shaft, impeller, water pump housing gasket and housing bolt gaskets. Ran bike and after five minutes it began leaking out the weep hose again! I did everything just like the shop manual said, torqued everything. I took it for a ride hoping that the blue sealant around the base of the mechanical seal flows and stops the leaking. Really bummed out, spent almost $80 in parts and leaks just as bad as before. Impeller shaft looked and felt fine, no wiggle like bad bearings and oil seal looked fine, no oil. Anyone have suggestions?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

you didnt touch the ceramic when installing it did you?

Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

mechanical seal

what are you calling the ceramic? I put anti-freeze on the seal to lube it for placement like the shop manual advised.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #5

kymaysob

check for PM

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #6

I realise this is an old thread.. with only basic tools, what's the best way to get impeller off shaft, been trying to pry it off with screw drivers etc but no luck, I have a little play in the shaft which is hindering my efforts as I don't want to damage the oil seal behind.

Also wondering if someone could provide a link to replacing mechanical seal with out splitting case...heard alot of talk about it but can't seem to find it myself.
TIA

Old 10-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #7

could you have put the seal in backwards ? just a thought

Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

havent touched mechanical seal yet, so it's not in backwards. my goal for the day at this point is getting impeller off but will need to borrow a gear puller from someone i know to do that.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #9

Awesome! Got impeller off. Spring/rubbers come out, now for metal piece behind that.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #10

so i need to clean this up more. the red seal looks bubbly to me, a little worried about it. I figure if it mechanical seal replacement goes well and fixes coolant issue that when oil seal goes, and I believe only a matter of time, that at least the 2 fluids would not mix...i'd just have a different fluid leak from this water pump overflow hose. Is there something, like permatex I can cover red seal with, is this recommended, has anyone done this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171011_144022.jpg (92.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171011_143711.jpg (98.2 KB, 10 views)

Old 10-19-2017, 03:05 AM   #11

Manual says not to coat mechanical seal with anything as it has an adhesive coating on it. Is it like a sticker, do I peel blue part off? Confused and would love some help so I can get it off the side stand and ride.