Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Error code 18

Woke up to this today. Guess I'll be doing the throttle body check sometime this weekend. Debating on whether to just order one from ebay and have it ready, or doing the checks to see what the problem is. ECU is only a year old, so I would think I could rule that out.

Older bike with no warranty, so it's all on my dime.

Besides the checks it gives to do in the manual, I'll be pulling off the tank and checking for any wires that may have rubbed. Had the harness recall done, but wouldn't say I was 100% sure about the work the dealer did.

Of course this comes when I'm in the middle of remodeling most of the house. Any time not spent on that gets a raised eyebrow from the Mrs.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Annnnnd it's gone.

Started up when I left work this afternoon, no codes or flashing light. Ran fine.

Be checking all the wires and putting some dielectric grease on the connections.

My dilemma now is, I told the wife it could be a very expensive part. So now that I don't need it, what do I spend the money on?
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #3

Quote:
My dilemma now is, I told the wife it could be a very expensive part. So now that I don't need it, what do I spend the money on?
Great question, your in the drivers seat. I used to stash it for a rainy day. Some days it pours. But then you get caught bailing out the house hold budget when you need it the most. But you may need tires and such later. They never notice.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 10-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Security cameras came in I ordered. Forgot about those. She just said the box was in the front room. No anger, no question of how much they cost.

I'm afraid to go to sleep now.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Security cameras came in I ordered. Forgot about those. She just said the box was in the front room. No anger, no question of how much they cost.

I'm afraid to go to sleep now.
Well at least with the security camera's in place you'll have evidence of the nocturnal events...
Be safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #6

I had the same issue on mine. I have a 2009. I did a throttile body service and used a drop if top engine cleaner.

Honestly my bike never ran so crisp. I also put a 1/4 bottle of top tier fuel additive in the tank.

Im in the automotive service business so i used some of the products that I would use on cars on the Kaw. Man she is running sweet.

That code appears now and then. Do a full key cycle and it usually goes away.....

Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Washed the bike on Sunday and parked it. Monday morning the code was back. Rode it to work and when I left Monday afternoon, it was gone. Took off the air cleaner and put dielectric grease on all the plug ins. Rained yesterday so I drove in. This morning, no code. Figured with it coming and going it wasn't a part going out. Cheap and easy fix. I like that.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash