Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

Crying '04 Nomad still won't start

Well, I still have a problem somewhere with my '04 Nomad. Still the fuel pump is not working. I have taken the ign. switch apart and cleaned it. Checked the resistor and it is good. Tried a new resistor in the gray wire and that didn't work. The pump doesn't stop working just from sitting does it? After a couple of weeks from sitting in the garage it did this. Several of you have tried to help before and I want to say THANK YOU, I APPRECIATE IT! Now what should I check. Oh, by the way I now have a new battery also 'cause i broke the other one trying to take it out of the bike. It was a good one too.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparods View Post
Well, I still have a problem somewhere with my '04 Nomad. Still the fuel pump is not working. I have taken the ign. switch apart and cleaned it. Checked the resistor and it is good. Tried a new resistor in the gray wire and that didn't work. The pump doesn't stop working just from sitting does it? After a couple of weeks from sitting in the garage it did this. Several of you have tried to help before and I want to say THANK YOU, I APPRECIATE IT! Now what should I check. Oh, by the way I now have a new battery also 'cause i broke the other one trying to take it out of the bike. It was a good one too.
On my '06 there were three connectors on top of the battery bracket under the seat. One I think is the fuel pump. Check them to make sure they're fully connected. Had a buddy with the same problem and the connector was loose.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #3

I have ck'd those connections several times. I ck'd the gray wire at the connector to the ECM and still have 12 volts. Is it possible there is something else I should look at?

Old 05-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #4

I forgot to mention, when I ck'd the original resistor in the switch with my meter it registered 102 ohms. I then ck'd two of the new ones I got and they showed the same reading.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #5

have you checked the fuse under the seat?
its by itself next to the battery.
single fuse not related to the fuse box?
mark
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-05-2017, 11:47 PM   #6

Can you hear the fuel pump whine for a few seconds when you turn the key on? If not I'd keep looking for a reason, starting with the fuse, and relay.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #7

READ VERY CAREFULLY!! As I stated before. The fuel pump DOES NOT COME ON WHEN I TURN ON THE KEY!! It was okay one day, then two weeks latter after sitting in the garage it wouldn't start. I have ck'd the resistor at the ignition switch and it is good. I have ck'd the wiring plug at the ECM and every terminal has 12 volts. I know the gray wire is supposed to have 6 volts but it doesn't. I ck'd the resistor and it has the same ohm rating as two of the new ones I bought. I put one new one in the gray wire and still didn't work. I was told I needed 1/2 watt 100 ohm resistor and that is what I bought. The engine turns over perfectly! NEW BATTERY! I have ck'd all fuses and even replaced some just in case! NOW WHAT??? PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY SINCE I HAVE WRITTEN THIS SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE! Thank you

Old 05-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

Look at these VERY CAREFULLY.

I understand the frustration, but lose the attitude or no one will give a flying rat's ass about your problem.

I lost 10 days to a similar issue, it ended up being the resistor.

We all have our crosses to bear.

I'm in the middle of moving my warehouse/shop, and I'm leaving in 4 days for 11 days.

I have to spend a couple days at he house in Charlotte to see what needs attention, then 5 days in the mountains.

Nothing is ready to go yet.

Good Luck, and I hope the wiring diagram helps.
VBA 936

Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
Look at these VERY CAREFULLY.

I understand the frustration, but lose the attitude or no one will give a flying rat's ass about your problem.

I lost 10 days to a similar issue, it ended up being the resistor.

We all have our crosses to bear.

I'm in the middle of moving my warehouse/shop, and I'm leaving in 4 days for 11 days.

I have to spend a couple days at he house in Charlotte to see what needs attention, then 5 days in the mountains.

Nothing is ready to go yet.

Good Luck, and I hope the wiring diagram helps.
Have you checked the DFI Relay?
VBA 936

Old 05-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #10

As I already wrote you in other topic, check the spark. If you Do have a spark then the problem is not in efi system, not in the ignition switch and not the resistor.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #11

Unplug the fuel pump wiring harness and connect jumpers to it DIRECTLY from a 12 volt source, if you hear it whine you issue is elsewhere.
I you don't hear it check the wires from the connection to the pump, they may have an internal break.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

I chased my tail around and checked power and the Fuel pressure regulator was bad on my bike