Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #16

Been reading this thread and I'm now laughing too !!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #17

So I decided to check the throttle body for dirt and I wasn't disappointed! After 55,000 miles it needed a good scrubbing. Used seafoam on a rag and really shined it up. Took her out today and hesitation/stumble was gone. Coincidence???? I hope not!

Old 09-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #18

Quote:
So - SeaFoam and an Ivan Reflash should fix you right up.

Also, I'll bet you a dollar
SWEET, Pay the man. It was the gizmo not the Doohickey

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 09-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
....But if it just started could it be the air leak that is common on these beasty's?

Welcome by the way, Since I see this is your first post could you have just started riding it differently since you are getting accustomed to the bike and now you notice it??
Thanks! Been riding it for two years and it's always been strong and smooth with no hesitation, so this is definitely a sudden thing.. Tell me about this common air leak! Where does it occur.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #20

Ok. So I sprayed brake fluid around the TB/Intake joint and found a leak on the bottom side. Got the O-rings on order. Fingers crossed because this is getting embarrassing when I ride with my lady and my crew.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmatt View Post
Ok. So I sprayed brake fluid around the TB/Intake joint and found a leak on the bottom side. Got the O-rings on order. Fingers crossed because this is getting embarrassing when I ride with my lady and my crew.
Thunder used to make a gasket for the TB. Gasket price was OK, shipping was a rip. I had one, and then tore it going back in there.

Rac'n Ray (you won't know him unless you've been lurking a while) suggested using Threebond 1211 gasket sealer both sides of the Thunder gasket, that's the grip that tore it.

So now rather than ship another Thunder gasket all the way down here, I just use the Threebond sealant by itself. Everything bolts together much better, and the seal is superb.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 09-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Thunder used to make a gasket for the TB. Gasket price was OK, shipping was a rip. I had one, and then tore it going back in there.

Rac'n Ray (you won't know him unless you've been lurking a while) suggested using Threebond 1211 gasket sealer both sides of the Thunder gasket, that's the grip that tore it.

So now rather than ship another Thunder gasket all the way down here, I just use the Threebond sealant by itself. Everything bolts together much better, and the seal is superb.
Just as well that you made your own gasket. I think Thunder has gone out of business.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #23

Thanks Peg. I ordered new TB o-rings and intake gaskets from Kawasaki. I went ahead and ordered the o-rings just out of curiosity to see if Kawi changed their own stock. Nope. Went down to ACE freakin' Hardware (believe it or not) and found some 0-rings that were essentially the same diameter but were just about a millimeter thicker. Coated the intake gaskets and orings with copper gasket sealer and put her all back together. Man! I forgot how good she could run. Problem solved for less than $40. Repair shop wanted $125 just to diagnose. God I love the fine folks on this forum. Thank you all! Couldn't have done it without you! BTW..Thunder is def OOB.