Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #31

How Do You Learn To Ride 2up?

Eh, you'll get used to it. Like everyone has said, practice! Quick reminder (and this is something I do): in low speed turns keep the power on so you keep your forward momentum and don't get tempted to put your foot down, but ride the brake to keep a steady speed. It's what I do in U-turns, with the wife on back, and I can whip them out between two rows of parked cars now.

Good luck!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #32
Top Contributor

Trial and Error: practice. :-)

Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #33

DARN IT!!!!
NOT FAIR!!!

Yesterday after work, hubby rode his bike up to our local mechanic and left it for new tires to be put on today. He aksed me to swing by and pick him up. Of course, I jumped on my bike and went up there!!

All the guys were hanging aorund outside talking "bike smack" until he was finally ready to leave. Sure enough, one of the guys asked Chaz if he was riding b#tch on my bike and then all the other guys laughed!

That did it.....he said no way and I was the one that had to ride pillion home on my OWN BIKE!!!!! He just passed up another opportunity for me to learn....the shop is only a few miles from the back road we live on!!!!

Those darn guys had to tease him and he let them ::)

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #34

It's a guy thing.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #35
Advanced Member

Under the circumstances you can't really blame him.

When/if he does ride pillion I suggest you keep it on the DL (down low). ;)

Yes, It's a guy thing. :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #36

Where are the women around here to defend me?! ::)
It doesn't surprsie me the men would stick together!!! ;)

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #37

You have a point there.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #38

One thing to consider is trim. Boaters or flyers can expand on this but weight and banace are factors that are in play regardless of skill. My wife is an experienced rider and had no problems with a passenger but I don't ride on the back, not because of any macho issues with riding on the bitch seat, but because I'm over 6 foot and too close to 250 lbs for my own liking.

She's not.

The weight imbalance creates a risk to both of us because it's just plain unstable because of the trim. In motion the G forces will compensate for the lack of trim but the slower the speed the greater the instability and with a passenger this can be further complicated by actions of the passenger that can de-stabilize you even more through unexpected or inappropriate movement. It's just not a good idea. Consider the balance of the overall load any time you take on a passenger and you'll be fine but physics and nature wins out otherwise. Once your confidence is to the point that you're comfortable with a passenger you can ride heavier passengers and you'll recognize the effect of an unstable load and have the experience to compensate by giving it more speed rather than slowing down, you'll do fine.

It ain't necessarilly you. Ride safe whether there's one or two of you on your bike. You'll know if you are or not.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #39

You make some VERY good points!!!! Thank you!
Wouldn't I have felt silly if I had dumped us in front of all those shop guys!!!! LOL

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #40
Advanced Member

Rode 2up yesterday for the first time. My wife was on her daily afternoon walk when I was coming in after a ride and she asked if she could get on. (It was on our gravel road so I was thinking of all places to start practicing riding with a passenger, this was the worst place), so I said "sure". I was a little nervous as she was getting on, I didn't want to drop the bike and then she would never ride with me again. But it all went well and I drove a couple miles and then had to turn around in a small space and I was really nervous then, but made it back fine and she had fun. Whewwww. Glad to get that first one out of the way.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #41
Advanced Member

I've been riding my wife 2-up for < a year now. The only problems I have are slow maneuvers and braking to a stop b/c the front end feels very light. This probably due more to suspension issues than anything. It helps to adjust the rebound damping and (if your bike has it) increase the air is the rear shocks for the heavy load.

It does help to start with someone lighter. I started with my 11 YO daughter at first, then "upgraded" to my 16 YO daughter next. It made riding with my wife much easier.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #42

This is just a suggestion,but if you are worried about injuring someone,you can always strap a 100# sack of sand on the pillion.This way you can get used the weight first.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #43

if you want to get really good at riding 2up start on a high powered dirt bike or a crotch rocket. These things are set for all weight to be on the front and they can wheelie very easy if there is too much weight on the back. You will really get a feel for that weight transfer jazz when nearly all of your passengers weight is either directly above or behind the rear wheel.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #44

CheriAnn,
I haven't been riding that long. A few months ago, when I got my Nomad and started feeling comfortable with the much heavier weight of the motorcycle (I had a 65o VStar before, a real light weight in comparison), I dared to take my son for a ride. He is six and weighs about 55 pounds. I bought him some gear. We talked about signals and leaning with the rider, holding on and not getting on the bike before I get on the bike and whatnot. We started at 20 mph around the neighborhood. After doing that for many many days I took him on a 50 mile ride. Little interstate, highway, windies. I was tense, he had fun! He clinged on to me the whole time. His biker name now is "Little Suction Cup". I am always tense and a bit scared when he rides with me. I am extra careful. He usually ends up having ways more fun than I do.
I plan on taking a friend along on a poker run. That would be the first adult I will have as a passenger. I am nervous about it even though he is a light weight. Someone once told me that "You just have to go out there and do it."
I am glad I am not the only one who is nervous about taking a passenger. You can do it!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #45
Advanced Member

This is something like a few other posts I see that when I started riding, not much thought but sit there for a moment to get used to the additional weight and off we went.

My first 2-up on the Nomad this week; first my SO who I have had on the back in the worst of thunderstorms and hundreds of miles, she climbs on, and take a moment to lean the bike side to side to kinda get a feel for the added weight, once underway it was like she wasn't even there. Did a 180 with her at an intersection as easy as I would have without her.

Later in the day, my daughter stopped in and the same thing, except we did get some air at a RR track :-* I didn't point out the handholds until we got back, and I got hit when I showed them to her afterward!

Both had a blast though it might be hard to now spend time alone with my bike... NOT!

Point is, both know when to sit still and to let me 'drive' the bike, not trying to lean to compensate, etc. Passengers need to remember that they are just along for the ride, and a good rider makes it a good ride for both! It is good to be concerned, start out slow, but also as important is to not over analyze it to where you are fearful of trying it. A lot of good points made already!