Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #16

How Do You Learn To Ride 2up?

Hey Waterman,

My wife has uses that "slow down" signal too!!
As far as "grabbing the front brake" advice, which is excellent advice, if you'd taken the MSF basic course, you'd already know that grabbing the front brake is always a no-no. Straight or in a curve.
vin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #17

CheriAnn,

Did you take your husband on the back of the 900? If so, don't be so concerned that you really felt the weight because that is very normal. The Nomad carries its weight very low, so if you took him pillion on the Nomad, I'm betting that you'd feel significantly more confident. The first time I rode 2-up was when I took my wife on the back of my VF1000F Interceptor. Talk about high center of gravity. Intimidating at first, but again, practice made it second nature.

I can only agree with the excellent advice from other posters. We use an intercom system for communication which was money well spent. One signal I use is a quick tap on her knee indicates that something up ahead might require sudden manouvers on my part, and that she needs to pay attention. I also would emphasize that slow speeds is where the pillion will be most noticeable to you. My pillion is very experienced and knows to remain as still as possible when rolling to a stop. Remember, your pillion sits about 4 inches higher behind you which changes your bike's center-of-gravity significantly. This is not a bad thing - just something to be aware of. Many people just assume that they can jump on back and enjoy the ride. Not true at all. Riding pillion requires skill and practice.

And the best outcome of constant practice is that you and your pillion eventually become "one" rider - as in your bodily motions in corners and all manoeuvers become fluid, in-sync, and predictable. And what a great feeling it is...blasting through twisty roads, the two of you being one unit with the machine! It's truly a skill that needs development like any other.

With the Nomad, I actually prefer 2-up riding. It's such a balanced and forgiving machine...perfect, IMHO, for this type of riding.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth
With the Nomad, I actually prefer 2-up riding. It's such a balanced and forgiving machine...perfect, IMHO, for this type of riding.
I would have to agree. The Nomad is a much more stable platform when I have the wife aboard. The added weight really plants the bike very solidly to the ground. Thats not to say I don't enjoy riding solo....but I find that the Nomad's balance is perfectly suited for 2-up riding....especially when you get the right setting on the air shocks (which is different for everyone depending on total weight of pilot, passenger and luggage).

The wife had never really ridden much either, but she does great. I just told her to simply lean exactly as I lean (mirror my movement)...... and not fight against me. She took to it like an old pro... !
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #19

Well the redneck way would be strap down 3 fifty pound bags of dog food on the pillon and go for ride or find you're clueless redneck buddy named Earl. But since it looks like you're city folks, your hubby will have to do. Like the rest have said, practice in parking lot, it is a whole new dynamic to riding and the nomad is great at 2-up.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #20

CheriAnn.. Have you looked to/at Jerry "Moto-man" Paladino yet? I might be mistaken, but I do believe he had some advise in one of his videos about 2-up riding. Thats one guy I would absolutly take any and all advise from, in total confidence. It's worth checking into either way. As for personal experience, It always just came natural to me, but I'm a rather heavy boy, if you know what I mean. Therefor I was already accustomed to the heavier bikes and extra passenger weight. ;) Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress. :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #21

Strap on a large/heavy (200 lbs) bag of sand or something similar to simulate the added weight of a passenger and then practice.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #22
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Strap on a large/heavy (200 lbs) bag of sand or something similar to simulate the added weight of a passenger and then practice.

Yeah, a bag of sand ain't gonna whack you in the side of the head when you screw up. LOL

Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #23

This darn weather has turned pretty cold and we actually got about 9" of snow Sunday!!!
Someday soon I hope to try out all the wonderful advice I got!!! I'll just have to bribe the hubby with something good so he'll ride behind me!!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriAnn
This darn weather has turned pretty cold and we actually got about 9" of snow Sunday!!!
Someday soon I hope to try out all the wonderful advice I got!!! I'll just have to bribe the hubby with something good so he'll ride behind me!!!!
Boy, that sure leaves it wide open. Hmm, a cookie??? a piece of cake??? a promise not to slap him silly??? ::)
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
Hey Waterman,

My wife has uses that "slow down" signal too!!
As far as "grabbing the front brake" advice, which is excellent advice, if you'd taken the MSF basic course, you'd already know that grabbing the front brake is always a no-no. Straight or in a curve.
vin
flightdoc,

I think that is a universal signal from women riding on the back.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #26

Once you have got your turns down in the parking lot get you some kind of T-Bag. Strap it to your back seat and start adding weight. Practice with several different weights low in the bag and then figure how to move the weight up higher in the bag until you get the top heavy affect of a passenger on the back seat. This way no one but you are in danger if you should drop the bike. Once you get use to the weight and how the bike handles it won't matter if you have a 100 pound person or a 200 pound person on the back seat other than stopping and balancing the bike.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #27

Buy me a round trip ticket and I'll ride on the passenger seat with you. (235) Can we wait until the snow is gone and it's warmer way up there?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by "CHAINSAW"
Buy me a round trip ticket and I'll ride on the passenger seat with you. (235) Can we wait until the snow is gone and it's warmer way up there?
DEAL!!!!
That ticket can't be too expensive from Texas!!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #29

Maybe we can get Obama to pay for it. I think it's in the budget under, "Can a brother help a sister out?"

Old 03-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #30

LOL!!!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069