Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #16

C-collar free to a good home. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
...From the look of the scrapes, and the fact that the lights went out even with it, you may have had your last day on earth if not for it....
No kidding. That's a rather sobering thought.

I used to ride without a helmet sometimes when I was younger. Not any more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Wow LW just reading that scared me. ya know, as big as you are.... if you had stayed in the saddle the whole way and held on to the handlebars, your bike might not have got any damage whatsoever!!! Sorry, sense of humor....glad your ok my friend...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #18

Nope, no broken bones Dan. I think when the lights went out my rag-doll impersonation prevented me from doing anything silly like trying to catch myself which would have likely resulted in broken bones. I went off low side, and I really dont remember leaving the bike; but what the hay, I've had a head injury! I dont remember calling my wife on my cell phone either, but the only time that could have happened was while I was lying in the street waiting for PD & Ambulance to arrive. There has never been a question as to helmet or no-helmet. While I respect every rider's choice, I've scooped up more helmetless bodies than helmeted patients in the last 25+ years.

The CT scan [i]did[/i] find a brain, but they said they couldnt verify functionality. . . I wonder what that meant?

I went today and walked the road where I crashed and found far more sand on the roadway than I expected to find. Mistake number one of Wednesday was in route selection and not avoiding the construction zone. Mistake number 2 was in keeping my attention on the car I avoided longer than necessary. Had I disengaged as soon as I knew I had avoided him I would have seen the stopped suburban with a little more room between us and possibly could have avoided the over-braking I did.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #19

Keep that bike all things have risk if you enjoy it go for it. All people die only some people live. There is a lot of risk with that fire helmet bet you wont quit that. God bless

Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW
...The CT scan did find a brain, but they said they couldnt verify functionality. . . I wonder what that meant?...
Probably means about another $2000 in tests they can bill to your insurance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #21

LW,,

Really sorry to hear that you went down.

Very glad to hear you were not seriously injured and your bike fared ok with less damage that you anticipated.

Just shared this with Trip. He is unable to log in but wanted me to pass alone his too is sorry this happened to you and wishes you a quick recovery.

Live form Alpine, Texas - Gateway to Big Bend

Old 04-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #22

Tough one LW. We appreciate your write up though, helps the rest of us think of one more way it can happen. Really glad to hear you are okay and that neither you or the bike were any worse off, and I'm sure the wife will come around. BTW, that's the helmet I prefer to wear too, glad to see it did its job.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #23

LW, what can I say that has not already been said. Glad you made it through so well.The bike will be fixed and you will soon be good as new. I always dress for the crash,it pays dividends when needed.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #24

LW,
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I am glad you are doing well. take care.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #25

Sorry about the wreck KW glad you're going to be ok. Ditto on the "life saving helmet". Hope this gives some of our non helmet wearers a pause to reflect!!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #26

Thanks for the encouragement folks. It helps my mood way more than having had several days off now with gorgeous weather and no bike to ride, but this too shall pass.

I went helmet shopping this morning. I think I'll stay with the HJC AC-2M half. I saw one on eBay with the vulcan emblem on it, but unfortunately I dont think they make it in wine or solver, just matte and glass black. Oh well.

BTW-
The shop I stopped at has an 05 Nad in Blue/silver w/15k miles on it for $9,9??.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #27

lw...really glad you're ok. You story sounded way to familiar to me.

vin

Old 04-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #28

Was out riding yesterday and came across a couple constructions areas, was extra cautious and alert as a result of your (LW's) story. Sure are a lot of distractions and confusion in those areas, and loose gravel all over the place.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #29

Glad to hear your ok.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #30

Glad you are safe LW and thanks to the reminder for the rest of us to be a little more careful out there.

It's great you came out of it with so little damage...