Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #16

Dangerous intersections

dui - I always have trouble visualizing distance when folks talk about feet but can visualize the football field for gaging. That was very infomative....thanks.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #17

Dangerous intersections

Unwind

When I get a yellow, and there are no cars waiting to turn left in front of me, I'm more liberal in continuing through the intersection.

If a car is waiting to turn left, I'm much more conservative in stopping, rather than going through the intersection.

One reason for this is just courtesy, it's nice to give them the chance to make their turn before the other side gets a green and leaves them hanging. The other reason is because if they get antsy like you mentioned, the might turn in front of you.

My caution meter is fully pegged when a light turns yellow, and an oncoming car is waiting to turn left in front of me.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #18

Dangerous intersections

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2
dui - I always have trouble visualizing distance when folks talk about feet but can visualize the football field for gaging. That was very infomative....thanks.
+1

I knew that stopping distances get disproportionately larger based on speed, but was surprised by the difference between 35mph and 45mph.

20 extra yards to stop, by going those 10mph. When driving down the street, those 10mph feel the same to me. I'm sure that in my general awareness while riding at those speeds, I've underestimated the difference of that 10mph and what it'll take to stop.

Thanks for posting it.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #19

Dangerous intersections

DUI,

That more than answered my question. Thanks so much. To be sure I understand for the right on red scenario......If you have the red light and want to make a right hand turn, you fall under the same standards/rules as a red light. You do not have any right of ways in this situation. If you make that right turn on the red light and I am traveling through the intersection on a green light and hit you.....you could be held at fault??
I love knowing these kind of answers. I know in many cases there isn't an absolute right or wrong answer but it's good to know the basics.

thanks vin

Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #20

Dangerous intersections

It seems to me Vin that your scenario would be the same as failure to yield at a stop sign.
Of course I could be wrong. I was wrong once before. But thats because I thought I was wrong
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #21

Dangerous intersections

TC.......you must be wrong again!!! No buddy, I agree with you. I wanted to hear it from the resident expert dui.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #22

Dangerous intersections

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
DUI,

That more than answered my question. Thanks so much. To be sure I understand for the right on red scenario......If you have the red light and want to make a right hand turn, you fall under the same standards/rules as a red light. You do not have any right of ways in this situation. If you make that right turn on the red light and I am traveling through the intersection on a green light and hit you.....you could be held at fault??
I love knowing these kind of answers. I know in many cases there isn't an absolute right or wrong answer but it's good to know the basics.

thanks vin
Yes, it would be considered fail to yield right-of-way. There is no difference in having to stop at the red light and then safely making the right turn than having to stop at a stop sign at a side street and safely making the right turn. The same would apply for pulling out of a business without a posted sign or turning onto a roadway from a private driveway.

The only time someone could make the right turn without stopping first is when the solid red light has a green right turn arrow under or below it. The use of this configuration is rare but I want to point out that it does exist. In that case, traffic going the opposite direction on the road you are turning onto usually has a green left turn arrow at the same time and there is no chance of being struck by an oncoming vehicle.

To make it clear as mud...draw a basic 4 way intersection with the roads east to west and south to north. The right turn arrow for a vehicle traveling north turning east would be lit at the same time the left turn arrow is lit for a vehicle traveling west turning south.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #23

Dangerous intersections

thanks dui. I'll think of more subjects to through at you. I like the factual info you present to us.

vin

Old 04-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #24

Dangerous intersections

ALL intersections are potential tragedies, especially on a motorcycle. I am always leery when approaching an intersection.We have many here in town with NO stop requirements for either street.Bugs the hell out of me.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #25

Dangerous intersections

As VIN, Dan, Unwind2, and several others know...I am a cop assigned to a traffic enforcement unit in the Commonwealth state of VA. Simply put, my specialty is traffic and I am happy to answer anything about any traffic related matters either by forum, personal message, or email at dui546@gmail.com -- However, my passion is DUI (or DWI) and I have and do tons of training on DUI and I have put hand cuffs on hundreds of impaired drivers.

However, to stay on the topic of dangerous intersections...

Believe it or not...the fines under the Virginia state code vary for running a red light. If you are found guilty of running a red light going straight ahead or when making a left turn the fine is $100. The fine for running a red light when making a right turn is $50. I suppose the general thought process behind the law is the threat level of the violation.

There is also a separate offense for making a right turn on red where it is properly posted "no turn on red". This is provided that the vehicle comes to a complete stop and then makes the turn where the signs are posted that prohibit turning on red. The actual offense is somewhat of a "catch all" because it is "disregard a highway sign." The standard fine is $35.

Another strange charge regarding traffic lights is "Evading a Traffic Control Device" -- this is where the vehicle cuts through a private parking lot, shopping center, gas station, roadway median, etc to avoid waiting in the traffic congestion. Believe it or not...this can actually be a very serious problem and we get numerous complaints from citizens about drivers doing maneuvers that meet the scope of the charge.

Do people avoiding traffic signals anger any of you?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #26
Mega-Contributor

Dangerous intersections

Quote:
Originally Posted by dui546
As VIN, Dan, Unwind2, and several others know...I am a cop assigned to a traffic enforcement unit in the Commonwealth state of VA. Simply put, my specialty is traffic and I am happy to answer anything about any traffic related matters either by forum, personal message, or email at dui546@gmail.com -- However, my passion is DUI (or DWI) and I have and do tons of training on DUI and I have put hand cuffs on hundreds of impaired drivers.

However, to stay on the topic of dangerous intersections...

Believe it or not...the fines under the Virginia state code vary for running a red light. If you are found guilty of running a red light going straight ahead or when making a left turn the fine is $100. The fine for running a red light when making a right turn is $50. I suppose the general thought process behind the law is the threat level of the violation.

There is also a separate offense for making a right turn on red where it is properly posted "no turn on red". This is provided that the vehicle comes to a complete stop and then makes the turn where the signs are posted that prohibit turning on red. The actual offense is somewhat of a "catch all" because it is "disregard a highway sign." The standard fine is $35.

Another strange charge regarding traffic lights is "Evading a Traffic Control Device" -- this is where the vehicle cuts through a private parking lot, shopping center, gas station, roadway median, etc to avoid waiting in the traffic congestion. Believe it or not...this can actually be a very serious problem and we get numerous complaints from citizens about drivers doing maneuvers that meet the scope of the charge.

Do people avoiding traffic signals anger any of you?
Yes, it does anger me. It bothers me when people act as though they can't be bothered to act in a civil manner, it bothers me that some people think their time is more valuable than mine, and it bothers me when people think the law only applies to everyone BUT them.

I see people cutting corners through gas stations all the time! <marquee>I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!</marquee>
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #27

Dangerous intersections

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
TC.......you must be wrong again!!! No buddy, I agree with you. I wanted to hear it from the resident expert dui.
WEEELLLL, EXCUUUSSSSEEE MMMEEEEEEEEEEEE
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #28

Dangerous intersections

Quote:
Originally Posted by dui546
As VIN, Dan, Unwind2, and several others know...I am a cop assigned to a traffic enforcement unit in the Commonwealth state of VA. Simply put, my specialty is traffic and I am happy to answer anything about any traffic related matters

Your knowledge and participation is greatly appreciated here. :)

Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #29

Dangerous intersections

It bothers me too.....depending on what someone does to avoid waiting in line. Down the street from us is a major intersection that, in the morning, is always a mess. When I get within a few hundred feet of it and I need to make a right turn I will ride down the side of the road. Trying to avoid sitting in line and sniffing all the exhaust. I know it's no excuse. I asked one of our town officers what they felt about it and he said they aren't going to go after someone that is relatively close to the intersection and is traveling driving slow. He said if someone was driving down the side of the road for a great distance he would at least stop them and have a talk.

vin

Old 04-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #30

Dangerous intersections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
It seems to me Vin that your scenario would be the same as failure to yield at a stop sign.
Of course I could be wrong. I was wrong once before. But thats because I thought I was wrong
Yeah but you have stayed at a Holiday Inn? Right?
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing