Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #16

Good to hear from you Larry, heal quick!

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #17

I'm mending TC, and the prognosis is favorable to avoid surgical repair of the vertebrae if I behave for the next 5-6 weeks. Thats how long Ive been told I have to wear this C-collar 24/7.
Started back to work on Monday, and this desk-bound stuff is a paradigm shift for sure. I'm used to having time outdoors in the sunshine during my workway. Staring at four walls and two computer screens that i have to turn my chair to see is a less than wonderful arrangement; although I will gladly adapt to it in lieu of the alternative "permanent dirt nap" that could have occurred.
I am scheduled for a mandatory all day training class today followed by a three day weekend. I'm sure we will all have to do round the room introductions so I'm working on including my new designation as crash-test-dummy in my self-intro. Maybe my co-workers as the PSA stated: "can learn a lot from a dummy"

Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #18

I have to add my two-cents...
About 30 years ago I was riding my motorcycle home around midnight. I was wearing a full-faced helmet. Because it was very foggy out, I was riding SLOW....maybe 10mph. I lived out in the country and when I was about 300 meters from my home, I came up upon, literally, a tilting (tilted) flat-bed truck parked IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! I did my best Evil Kenivel impression and went up the back of the truck and off the side. Evil Kenivel turned into Superman as I flew through the air. I flew a little further than the motorcycle, and landed facedown onto the roadway. I lost some skin on the right side of my body, but thank God my ugly mug was intact thanks to the full-faced helmet. It had DEEP gouges on the forehead part and the lower part.
Helmets for me? Heck yes.

'01 Vulcan Nomad 1500 Fi
'05 Yamaha V Star Classic 1100

Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #19

My full face helmet really saved me as well last season, I probably wouldn't have a face left after my slide had I not been wearing it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw View Post
I'm mending TC, and the prognosis is favorable to avoid surgical repair of the vertebrae if I behave for the next 5-6 weeks. Thats how long Ive been told I have to wear this C-collar 24/7.
Started back to work on Monday, and this desk-bound stuff is a paradigm shift for sure. I'm used to having time outdoors in the sunshine during my workway. Staring at four walls and two computer screens that i have to turn my chair to see is a less than wonderful arrangement; although I will gladly adapt to it in lieu of the alternative "permanent dirt nap" that could have occurred.
I am scheduled for a mandatory all day training class today followed by a three day weekend. I'm sure we will all have to do round the room introductions so I'm working on including my new designation as crash-test-dummy in my self-intro. Maybe my co-workers as the PSA stated: "can learn a lot from a dummy"
Good to see you didn't lose your sense of humor in the crash and are keeping things in perspective. The C-collar is much better than the dirtnap you could be taking
By all means behave for the next 5-6 weeks so you can avoid the surgery.
Maybe your screen name should be changed from LW to CrashTestDummy
Just kidding buddy
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #21

Hey LW, that sounds like a scary moment for sure. I'm glad you came out of it better than what it could have been. I'm also a cyclist and ride in the Bike MS ride in Oklahoma. So, I can relate to what you were doing. I've seen a few bicycle crashes since I've been riding (Sept 15-16 was my 5th ride to be a part of). Luckily (knock on wood) I have not been in a crash yet. I'm going to be upgrading my bike this winter to a newer one... my current bike is a 1985 Bianchi road race bicycle. It's a great bike and really fast, especially on downhill sections. But, it's somewhat heavy for a road bike.

Glad you are going to be ok. If you come to Oklahoma and ride with me, I'll come to Texas and ride with you. How about that deal? I'm on a great team and have been one of the top 66 fundraisers for the last couple years... we do a "Club 66" for the top 66 fundraisers in our theme of Rt 66. We ride old Rt 66 from Tulsa to Oklahoma City, 145 miles.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #22

Matt I like the idea of a 66 Route especially since I was a Phillips 66 employee before we were cast off downstream as part of Chevron Phillips Chemicals merger in 2000. I'll look that one up for my ride calendar next year. I just added a new to me (~circa 2003?) Cannondale R400 to my fleet. Reportedly it had less than 200 miles on it when it was put up on the wall and appears road ready.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw View Post
Matt I like the idea of a 66 Route especially since I was a Phillips 66 employee before we were cast off downstream as part of Chevron Phillips Chemicals merger in 2000. I'll look that one up for my ride calendar next year. I just added a new to me (~circa 2003?) Cannondale R400 to my fleet. Reportedly it had less than 200 miles on it when it was put up on the wall and appears road ready.
Sounds good! I'm not sure what I'm going to upgrade to, yet. More than likely something from BikesDirect.com. They seem to have some decent bikes for wholesale prices. Plus, I know a couple people that have bought from there before and they seem happy with the purchases.

Do you ride in the "Hotter Than Hell" ride in Wichita Falls? I have some friends that go down there and try it out. They usually do the 100 mile ride. If I get a new bike this winter, I'll probably try it out next year.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #24
Top Contributor

I firmly believe two things. First, I firmly believe everyone (over 18) should be allowed to decide for themselves whether or not they want to wear a lid. Second, I firmly believe I won't leave my driveway without MY lid on. I don't follow the ATGATT rule as my normal summer apparel is tennis shoes, jeans and a t shirt (in addition to my helmet) but I know what will happen if I dump the bike at more than about 5 mph without all that stuff. On the other hand, I just got a really nice armored textile jacket (and still have a leather jacket for cool days) so I might be covered (pun intended) in the future. A modular helmet is on my winter shopping list. I just don't feel as comfortable (mentally) with my 3/4 bucket as I used to.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 09-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #25

No choice here. Wearing a helmet is required for everyone. If I had the choice, I would continue to wear it, especially here with all of the cell phone addicts. I had one pass me on I-10 on my way to a meeting in Baton Rouge a few weeks ago. I was doing 75 mph and she was doing over 80 easily. It was before daylight and her face was illuminated from the phone screen as she was texting away. And it is illegal here for anyone to text while driving. $250 fine for first offense. It is also illegal for anyone under 18 to talk on a cell phone while driving. It's enforced but they continue anyway. How on earth did we make it without cell phones just a couple of decades ago? Larry, I'm so glad you're injuries are healing up. Listen to the doctors. Did I just say that TC?

Last edited by Cajunrider; 09-29-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #26

Thanks Mitch, I'm minding them. I doubt I'll test my injuries prematurely, since I didnt have surgical repair like you did. I think the warranty on my chassis is expired already.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
No choice here. Wearing a helmet is required for everyone. If I had the choice, I would continue to wear it, especially here with all of the cell phone addicts. I had one pass me on I-10 on my way to a meeting in Baton Rouge a few weeks ago. I was doing 75 mph and she was doing over 80 easily. It was before daylight and her face was illuminated from the phone screen as she was texting away. And it is illegal here for anyone to text while driving. $250 fine for first offense. It is also illegal for anyone under 18 to talk on a cell phone while driving. It's enforced but they continue anyway. How on earth did we make it without cell phones just a couple of decades ago? Larry, I'm so glad you're injuries are healing up. Listen to the doctors. Did I just say that TC?
You said it very well Mitch
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #28

I thought you were going to give me a hard time for telling Larry to listen to the Docs. You're in a swell mood tonight.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
I thought you were going to give me a hard time for telling Larry to listen to the Docs. You're in a swell mood tonight.
Just renewed his meds.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #30
Top Contributor

I wear a full face helmet all the time. I would probably have died in 1974 if not for a crash helmet. T boned a van doing about 40 mph that turned in front of me. The helmet was totalled, I survived.

Closed Thread