Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #1

Personal pet peeves

dui brought up something in one of his threads that reminded me of the thing the pisses me off the most when I'm out riding.

If a car knows that I'm there, but keeps coming anyway, that steams me more that anything. For instance, on a multi lane exit, you are in the left of the two exit lanes. A car in the right lane decides that it wants to turn left at the end of the exit and starts into your lane. You honk your horn as they start to move over and the turn and look right at you, then keep coming.

That pisses me off more than anything. It's easier to understand that some or just not fit for driving and won't look, and therefore don't see you. But looking right at you, and deciding that they want the lane anyway, and keep coming is not understandable to me.

What is your peeve?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #2

Personal pet peeves

Guys who park beautiful Nomads precariously on the edge of cliffs? ;)

Just kidding Dan, I hear ya, people who look right at you and keep on coming. Really fries my ham.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 03-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Personal pet peeves

Quote:
people who look right at you and keep on coming. Really fries my ham.
That is what my Stebel Air Horn is for. Works great!!

What frosts me is when the driver in front of me stops dead in a long merge lane and waits for traffic to clear instead of actually continuing with the flow and merging with traffic.

Tailgaiters also are a pet peeve. Oh, and agressive drivers speeding through traffic.

That's enough for now.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #4

Personal pet peeves

Oh I have a Stebel too. It gets way more use than I would like.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 03-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #5

Personal pet peeves

What gets me the most, and most often, is when I leave a good safe distance between me and the vehicle in front and some Ahole switches lanes into the gap.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #6

Personal pet peeves

People who stop instead of merging into traffic, and tailgaters probably bug me the most, and also drivers that will Slam on the brakes as soon as the traffic light turns yellow rather than proceed through it. :(" title="" border="0"/> :(" title="" border="0"/>

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #7

Personal pet peeves

The complete idiot, usually multiple idiots, behind me talking on the cellphone and reading a ________ (book, computer, contract, or something else) in heavy traffic. Quite common in this area. Just get out of their way, they have no clue what is in front of them.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 03-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Personal pet peeves

A couple of pet peeves.

The butt hole who passes you then slows down. I have seen it where they come out of nowhere to pass you then slow down and you can't pass them.

Second is tailgaters. Had one on the bike last year coming down from Estes Park on 34. The jack ass was pulling a camper and was right on my tail. Finally hit a turn out and let him pass. Caught up with them at Loveland. They looked at me and then looked straight ahead.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Personal pet peeves

just flip a quarter at them and break their windshield

Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #10

Personal pet peeves

All of the above. We have to be on our toes every second and drive defensively

Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #11

Personal pet peeves

ALL the above and the a hole who spped ups in a passing zone so you cannt pass,, Then slows to 5/10 MPH slower then the limit..... :-/

Old 03-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #12

Personal pet peeves

Pet Peeve....
Guy riding my tail and will never stop in time if I have to make a quick stop. Gimme some room, will ya?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #13

Personal pet peeves

Quote:
ALL the above and the a hole who spped ups in a passing zone so you cannt pass,, Then slows to 5/10 MPH slower then the limit..... :-/
I hate that one hugely.

In my cars I use cruise control a lot of the time to not get tickets (I creep up in speed and end up going 90mph otherwise). It's amazing that with cruise on you can catch a car a mile ahead of you, then as soon as a passing lane opens up they are going 10mph faster than they were.

When we are in one of our Lexus' it's never a problem, we can pass them anyway, but in my Dodge Dakota it meant I was stuck behind them when they slowed back down 10mph as soon as the passing lane ended. :(" title="" border="0"/>

I haven't found it to be a problem on the bike, as it can out accelerate most cars, but last summer I was following a BMW motorcycle in the mountains that pissed me off pretty good.

He went dog slow through all the corners taking most of the fun out of the ride, then everytime a straight came he had to show me how fast his bike was. I could never pass him until he pulled off finally into a road side attraction.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Personal pet peeves

This is what window beaters on the end of your handlebars are for. For awhile I carred metal scrap like huge rusted bolts, nuts and assorted crap and I would chuck it at the car. Throwing at the window is dangerous and doesn't cause enough damage. chuck it at the rear quarter panel is major expensive. I've reframed from doing much of this anymore for sanity sake.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #15

Personal pet peeves

Quote:
This is what window beaters on the end of your handlebars are for. For awhile I carred metal scrap like huge rusted bolts, nuts and assorted crap and I would chuck it at the car. Throwing at the window is dangerous and doesn't cause enough damage. chuck it at the rear quarter panel is major expensive. I've reframed from doing much of this anymore for sanity sake.
Now thats just crazy You do know if you pi$$ somebody off in a car they can easily run your a$$ over , right?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]