Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Helmets

Very well said Brian.

In my younger days I rode motorcyles and used whatever helmet came with the bike. Hand me downs that the previous owner no longer needed. Both were 3/4 with no face shield. Ever heard of the term "bee in the bonnet?" I have experienced that sensation several times and I can tell you it is not fun. Trying to stop a bike and get a helmet off with a pissed off insect taking vengenance on whatever is within reach is not fun. I imagine that many bikers have died attempting that very maneuver but we will never know. So, I wear a full face helmet with face shield. I have had enough bugs spattered on my face shield behind my windshield that I am convinced all the more that I do not want to risk one nailing me smack in the kisser at 75mph in traffic. I'm beyond trying to look cool. I don't care if I get hot. I don't care if my thinning hair is messed up. Believe it or not the few times that I have ridden without my helmet I felt at a disadvantage because I can not hear the engine and do not feel as in tune with my suroundings. I know that sounds strange but it is true.

I would much rather take my chances any day with a full helmet than with none at all. Consequently I don't care what the law says and I don't get wound up about my "right" to freedom of expression or feeling the wind in my hair. If I want to feel that sensation I will stand on top of a mountain in a storm. Ride safe.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #32

Helmets

Now that I'm getting old.... I no longer want to die young!

<marquee></marquee>

Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #33

Helmets

Well said Nico
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #34

Helmets

OK, a little perspective about dying old. I,m 60, and still have a lot of things to do and places to see. I'm not as macho as I used to be years ago. I ride when I want, where I want, for me, not to prove something to my peers. That being said, as some of you will recall, I came home from the hospital 2 weeks ago today after a heart attack. You will just have to take my word when I tell you I am not ready to go yet. Not on a motorcycle or operating table. I still have things to do. As long as I am relatively healthy then I am happy.
So, I wear a helmet, not cause someone tells me to, but the same reason I stop for red lights, signal turns, and try to stay as far away from trucks and cars as I can. Just trying to stack the deck in my favor. One more thing, I wear earplugs when I ride to cut down on wind noise. I hear as much around me or more than if I did not have a helmet on.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #35

Helmets

That was clear, concise and to the point Meanstreak. I am 100% in agreement with you. Like that song says, "Every gambler knows, that the secret to survival is knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #36

Helmets

Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #37

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Helmets

Like most on here...I've got a 1/2 helmet and a full flip face one also. I wear the half probably 95% of the time...and like some on here.. go lidless every now and then, thought it's getting less and less. Here's my 1/2...since wolfman was posting helmets... Can you guess which color??? lol.

http://tinyurl.com/yvtefd

Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #38

Helmets

Wolfman...Good point now that I think of it.

Is this a half helmet or beanie?
It's what I wear and I voted beanie but now I don't know?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #39

Helmets

I'd consider that a half. Seems to me the beanie has about half as much to it that one.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #40

Helmets

Quote:
I'd consider that a half. Seems to me the beanie has about half as much to it that one.
+1

Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #41
Top Contributor

Helmets

NXL half helmet here but in the winter a shoei 3/4 helmet with face shield, love my half helmet and you will too if you know anybody with same.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #42

Helmets

Joe, We call that a Half. I agree with meanstreak, a beanie does not have that much bulk.
I agree with most, I wear a half most of the time but more and more going with the full face. It's heavier, more bulky, hotter, more restricting and not cool but I just think if my head ever hits the pavement I will be glad I have it on.

Shep

Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #43

Helmets

1/2 Scorpion EXO100 even when the temps are in the 30's. I do have a full face for a long ride in the cold. Saving for the Scorpion EXO1000.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #44

Helmets

Here's a thought for you, why don't they make a 3/4 helmet with say a carbon fiber chin bar that is like a punters helmet face mask. Just a bar going around in front of your jaw.

Then if you skipped your face along the pavement, the bar would keep your skin off the pavement, but you wouldn't feel as confined as a full face helmet.

The only reason I wear a full face is to keep my teeth and lips on my face after a wreck, but I don't need the whole huge front part.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #45

Helmets

Good idea Dan.
Like you, I want to keep my teeth. I got more money invested in my teeth than my Nomad, and I don't have false teeth.