Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #16

Helmets

I use a half-helmet. I am probably going to get a full also.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #17

Helmets

We've got a helmet law in Georgia so I wear a 1/2. Helmet laws and seat belt laws are just another case of the government telling us what to do. When I lived in Florida I rarely wore a helmet. It's my head, If I want it to look like a watermelon that fell off a truck, that's my business.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #18

Helmets

Quote:
don't know if mine is considered 1/2 or beanie
Good question. Actually, I'm not sure what makes a "beanie".
Mines like yours wolfman, and I consider it a half helmet...at least that's what the manufacturer called it when I bought it.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #19

Helmets

I use a 1/2 helmet most of the time and a fullface the rest of the time. On really hot days I wish I could go without one, but it looks like only the turbanheads can do that here.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #20

Helmets

this is my helmet http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXL-F...9321QQtcZphoto

I got my wife some leather chaps from them too for around 20 bucks. Can't beat their prices!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #21

Helmets

Quote:
this is my helmet http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXL-F...9321QQtcZphoto

I got my wife some leather chaps from them too for around 20 bucks. Can't beat their prices!
Yep, that's what I have also.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 02-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #22

Helmets

Guys, I don't know what makes a helmet a beanie either, maybe I should have said "skull cap" My son in law wears a little thin helmet with very little if any foam inside, fits close to his head and doesn't look like it offer any protection at all . He and his friends call it a beanie, but what do I know ??????

Old 02-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #23

Helmets

1) Scraped up Chrome Dome

2) Chrome German Helmet

3) Nolan Modular N-100

4) Blowndodge Mask

Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #24

Helmets

Quote:
We've got a helmet law in Georgia so I wear a 1/2. Helmet laws and seat belt laws are just another case of the government telling us what to do. When I lived in Florida I rarely wore a helmet. It's my head, If I want it to look like a watermelon that fell off a truck, that's my business.
I completely agree. I don't think that the government should be able to tell us whether we have the right to ride without helmets or not. I live in Arkansas, where they are encouraged, but not mandatory... However, we often go to Missouri for Rallies and there it is mandatory. I can't stand going there! I don't want to wear one just because they say that I have to! lol. I wear one about 95% of the time, but... I just believe that you should be able to make that decision. I would be very unhappy living in a helmet mandatory state... just my 2C.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #25

Helmets

New York where I live is helmet mandatory.
The state tells me i have to wear a Helmet. They also tell me I have to wear a seatbelt in my car and truck. I don't see the problem as I would do both on my own.
I value my life and the feelings of the people who love me more than any preconcieved freedoms I would convince myself I had by going without a helmet or seatbelt.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #26

Helmets

I have a 3/4 I wear mostly on my Nomad.I wear a full face on the meanstreak.I am finding myself wearing the full face from time to time on the Nomad as well. I understand we don't want the government telling us how to do every little thing in our life. I think a helmet should be a choice for adults. My son had to lay his bike down to avoid a wreck involving 3 cagers. Ground a hole all the way into the foam liner of his helmet, but did not get to his head.Anyway, I just dress for the crash.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #27

Helmets

Helmets really only play a significant role in low speed crashes or falls. BUT that is where the helmet is needed the most. Imagine what it would feel like to hit the back of your head on the asphalt without a helmet vs having the layer of protection the helmet provides. It's kind of like a child on a bicycle. Serious head injuries and death can be mitigated by a helmet at slow speed.

As I stated in a previous thread about helmet protection, Sport bike riders usually dress the best when it comes to rider protection...cruiser riders are the absolute worst (myself included). However, when it comes to high speed crashes, it has been my experience that the gear the motorcycle rider wears really doesn't play a big role in the determination of "life or death." Sometime the helmet just keeps all the parts in the bucket. (I could show you some pics to prove my point) The determining factor is the type of impacts that occur between the 1st event of the crash until the motorcycle and its rider(s) come to final rest.

Virginia is a state that requires a helmet. An argument is often made that there are really no more deaths in the states that do not require a helmet. I agree. BUT, my concern is the higher number of long term injuries, hospital stays, and job losses that are recorded in the states that do not have a helmet requirement. I'd like to review those crash investigations or interview the folk's who were injured to get their hindsight opinion.

I will tell you that there are guys on my squad who refuse to ride a motorcycle because of the experiences they've had in the nature of our job. I am a firm believer that life is about choices and you have not input to your life being ended by the bad choices that somebody else makes (i.e. red light runner, DUI driver, etc). That is why it is important to be a defensive motorcycle rider and not an aggressive or offensive one.

Here is my 2cw about freedom in general....Freedom does not come without significant cost and/or loss of life when facing a threat. I wear a bullet proof vest every time I am wearing my uniform because there is a chance I will be in a gun fight. Likewise, I choose to wear a helmet every time I ride my motorcycle because there is a chance I will be in a crash. Believe it or not, the motorcycle crash odds are significantly higher than the gun fight. YOUR life can change directions in a matter of seconds.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #28

Helmets

If I was certain that I would die in a motorcycle wreck, I wouldn't wear a helmet. It would be more comfortable to go without.

I'm not afraid of death and would much rather die young than old, so dying on my bike isn't a concern for me. The thing that scares me to death is becoming so brain damaged that I'm institutionalized, and then being stuck alive.

I wear a helmet to mitigate that danger, not the danger of dying.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #29

Helmets

I'm not afraid of death and would much rather die young than old

I may be taking this out of context, but if I'm not, that has to be one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard :-/
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #30

Helmets

Quote:
I'm not afraid of death and would much rather die young than old

I may be taking this out of context, but if I'm not, that has to be one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard :-/
I'm thinking it's probably going to be remembered as the dumbest statement that you've ever heard.

Not sure what is so great about old age, I'm hoping to avoid it.

To those that would like to get old, to each his own, and here's to your longevity :)