Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 10-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #76

What almost got you this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CHAINSAW"
Bicycles are another problem. Don't follow the rules of the rode and ride wherever they feel like it.
In this case, the cyclist was doing everything right. He was on the correct side of the road and was riding on the shoulder of the road, but like I said, the overpass is very narrow with barely enough width for 2 traffic lanes. We have a law in AZ that you have to stay at least 3' away from bicycles as you pass them. I don't think you could stay in your own lane and give a 3' safety zone for bikes on this overpass.
There are times where it's like a perfect storm. Nobody is doing anything technically wrong, and it still doesn't look good.

I suppose that one might have been better on your bike than in a car as far as having room between you, but certainly a grab your attention event.

I've had a time or two where on a two laner an oncoming car has made a pass that left me on the shoulder and we're going 3 vehicles across. It always pisses me off, but at least there is room that wouldn't have been there with 3 cars across.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #77

New to the Forum but my wife and I were out on November 1 and had just popped over a hill on a two lane in the Lake Country of Minnesota when I see the red Impala coming on a side gravel road. It became apparent that he was looking to the right when I was on his left and he wasn't planning on stopping. Can hardly see me with the light bar and headlight with Sylvania Superstreak bulbs, I guess.

It was the first time that I had had to lock the brakes doing about 60 mph and I was wondering to myself, OK, if I live and my wife dies, the kids are really going to be mad. Luckily, he saw me at the last instant, I went to the left and he was swerved to the right and stopped with the biggest pie pan eyes, I've ever seen. I hope I scared the crap out of him as he sure did me.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #78

Well, had my first run in with an 18 wheeler on the interstate this morning. I usually look in their side mirror when I am getting ready to pass them and make sure they have looked and seen me. This guy looked right at me in the mirror, I started up around him and when I got near his cab he decided he wanted my lane and didn't even use a signal. Luckily for me he heard the blare of that Bad Boy Horn on the right side of the bike and swerved back. I thought I was going to be testing the rumble strips and God forbid the grass median.

That horn has saved me many times on the interstate.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #79

I was headed home this last Friday after work. As I turned onto the 2-lane and got up to speed I met a string of traffic with an 18-wheeler leading. I was probably going about 55-60 mph. The speed for them had just dropped from 65 to 55mph and this idiot decides that he needs to pass the 18-wheeler. I braked hard and luckily there was a shoulder to pull onto but then it appeared that he continued to swerve towards me and I headed for the ditch. At the last instant before I ran off into the ditch he went past between me and the truck at what was probably 80mph. I was able to stay on the very edge of the shoulder and not go into the ditch. I did not get the make or even the color of the car as it happen so quickly. Headlights and running lights were on and I have 2-55 watt spots on either side of headlight that were on. I did not even have time for a horn blast. I did not attribute my safety to anything I did other than braking and steering away from the impending headon. I thank God his Angels were watching out for me.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #80

Mark, must not have been any reflector posts to snag your right hand on huh?

Glad you squeezed through. I've had that same one happen twice.

Login or Register to Remove Ads