Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #1

What almost got you this week?

I thought I'd start a thread on cars etc. that almost got you. Of course you were paying attention and the bastards missed

But if you hadn't paid attention, what would have gotten you?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #2

On my ride Sunday, I stopped at a hardware store to look at materials for my trunk rack. The store is on a 4-5 lane one way street.

An old man pulled in and I assumed was waiting for somebody in the store, he was parked across three parking spots (store only had about 12 spots). The clerk came out and had a hard time communicating to him that he was using up 3 prime spots and needed to move. I thought that he must just be old and not so with it.

We both pulled out at the same time, and I was surprised to see him by himself in the car. The store had two exits onto the one way street. I was in the up stream exit, he was in the down stream.

After the break in oncoming cars, we both pulled out. Only he pulled out coming the wrong way right at me!

I dodged him and oncoming cars started honking at him, but he kept going up to the next side street ( 1/2 block).

I'm now wondering if he was drunk, and ducked into the parking lot because he saw a cop or something.

My mistake? Having information that somebody wasn't performing at their best, and still expecting them to do the right thing. Should have made a mental note to watch out for him.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #3

Probably not drunk. It was only a half block for the turn toward home. After all, nobody was coming (didn't see the motorcycle and oncoming cars) and the one-way sign shouldn't have been there anyway. Several elderly people I know believe this is acceptable.

My mother (87) has macular degeneration amongst other eye problems. Just a few months ago she made the following comments. "I only drive on streets with plenty of white lines." Why I asked? "I try and keep the car between the white lines when I'm driving at night because I can't see the road." It gets worse. "If she is driving and the sun is in the wrong position, she can't see what is in front of her unless it is something big. Looking at the traffic signals is hard because of the glare. She has trouble seeing small cars and motorcycles so she just hopes they aren't around when she has to go to the store." Sometimes she will pull into a parking lot, if she has time, and wait for things to change before getting back on the road.

My side of the phone conversation was less than polite. Told my sister and she also read my mother the riot act. Unfortunately until she has an accident there is no way to get the license revoked. Between the two of us we have limited some of mother's driving, unfortunately we have not been able to stop it.

Besides the distracted drivers with cell phones, reading books, etc., we also have to pay close attention to the time of day and light conditions. Remembering that people like my mother can still pass the eye tests. I think of that telephone conversation every time I get on the bike.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #4

Last Sunday night my wife and I were riding home from dinner and a young girl turned left in front of us at an intersection. Of course she was on the phone.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #5

Cholesterol and smokes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #6

I'm so used to expecting others to do the wrong thing that I don't even consider it almost being got. In fact, there's almost some sense of satisfaction, "hey, I anticipated that" and of course, being ready with a proper and timely reaction.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #7

Was coming off the feeder road to get on to the interstate. Business parkin lot on the right of the feeder road dumps out right at the exit. Fool shot straight out in front of me. I missed the exit but kept the bike upright. THANK THE GOOD LORD.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #8

I have a daily commute down I-35 of about 20 miles each way. Speeds range from 80 to 0.

I get on an average of at least two adrenalin rushes every day I commute. Ironically most are not on the actual freeway but on the feeder roads or in local city street traffic.

The usual, like distraction due to cell phone, running or jumping red lights, non-signaling lane changes, rolling or no stopping at stop signs, or my favorite the left turn from the right most lane just as you are about to pass. Even many of those that stop or hesitate when they see you just pull out anyway when they realize you're not a bigger vehicle.

The drive off or leaving the scene after a collision in the Austin area is about 30%. Lots of unlicensed and uninsured drivers on the roads in this area. Some say it is because of our proximity to the border. We have already had 6 hit and run fatalities this year and only one has been caught.

After 100,000 miles in under 4 years on the 1500 Nomad, Yes, I've got stories but not enough time or space here to share. So, I'll save them for the campfire ring at the next rally.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #9

I picked up my 07 Nad this Friday. It was raining and about 44 degrees. I was coming through the little of Summerville, Ga where they still diagonal park. A sweet little old lady in a maroon Town Car backed out and missed me by maybe a foot. I was very nice and waved at her...................................... with one finger.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #10

Wow, that could have had a real bad ending.Glad you made it home safe OB

Old 02-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #11

OB,
I think there is something about a new bike, the first time I rode my bike, I had a school bus driver pull out right in front of me. I had just finished my MSC class and the swerving technique I was taught really worked. Anyway glad to hear you got your new bike home and you are safe. Let us know how it compares with your previous Nomad

Shep

Old 03-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
Top Contributor

almost a Subaru wagon yesterday

Old 03-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #13

Quote:
almost a Subaru wagon yesterday
Splain the set up beez :)

Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
Top Contributor

I was driving up the road and there's a road that intersects from the right. The woman was up close to the wheel looking to see any cars coming (since they are bigger) from her right. She must have looked left and not noticed me. She started pulling out and saw me and didn't know if she should stop or go. She gave it more gas and I was afraid she was going to run into a boulder the people had in their yard in case someone ran the intersection so they wouldn't hit their house. I slowed down and she made the left turn coming towards me on her side. I could see she was startled and could read her lips telling me she was sorry. There is a slight incline coming from the light I pulled out from and I was just hitting 2nd when all happened so I was well down in my speed and gearing. Something like this happens at the beginning of bike season every year. I'd imagine this will stick in her mind for awhile.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #15

I almost bought it on the way to work a while back. I was in the middle of three westbound lanes on a 6-lane road with concrete median. Traffic had just started from a light, I was in front, and I was on the throttle. A little truck coming the opposite direction pulled into the left-turn lane in the median and stopped. Then he turns left across my path. Going slow as molassas too. No problem. I was expecting that. What happened next I did NOT expect.

As he pulled across all 3 lanes into the slow lane, making a complete u-turn, I drifted from the middle to the inside lane to give him as much room as possible. It wasn't enough.

He continues, at about 20 MPH (I'm going at least 40) and cuts back across all three lanes right in front of me. Yikes!

I panic brake, smoking the tires, coming up on my feet, fishtailing, and wondering if I can get by him. I scrubbed off enough speed to swerve by him on the right, with three lanes of traffic coming up on my butt. Fortunately, I think they saw this all and slowed down a bit which probably saved me and the idiot in the truck.