Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #61
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Have you hit an animal on your bike?

I didn't hit an animal but my wife and I had a doe hit us about 5 yrs. ago up in the Queen Charlotte Islands in northern BC.
We were driving between Charlotte City and Masset City. Beautiful day riding along the coast. The deer must have been down eating kelp on the seashore . My buddy and his wife drove ahead of us, and then the doe came up the bank right beside us and took a couple of steps beside us, we were literally eye ball to eye ball, when it decided to try and cross in front of us. I was only doing 80 - 85 km per hr. { a tad over 50 mph.} The way, and where it came up upon us I had no chance to stop. Of course the deer didn't make it and took the front wheel out and the bike went down. My wife went off the back onto the other lane. Thank God there weren't any oncoming cars. I stayed with the bike till it was sliding and pushed off. My wife got a little more road rash than me. I went through my leather jacket a bit and a small quarter size hole in my jeans. But both of us did good. The bike was great and stayed down and just slid down the road. That Venture you see is the bike we were on. I ended up duct taping it and riding home. The deer laid on the bank of a hill until my buddy came back with the police. {I had to have an accident report for the insurance.} We thought it was dead. As soon as the cop drove up it tried to scramble up the bank. But the frt. quarter must have been broken and the cop ended putting 4 or 5 shots point blank in the skull to put it down. That was sad. My wife took the bus back home when she could, and hasn't been back on a bike since. Can't say I blame her. My insurance fixed the bike. All new fairing, frt fender, just about everything really. Sold it and started to vacation in Europe until last year when my wife got a inheritance and told me to go get the bike I wanted. She knew I still wanted to ride. I've said this before....is it any wonder I love my wife. She is the greatest.
No I didn't keep the road kill for the freezer. Just in case you were wondering.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #62

So Ricky, that venture trunk on your Nomad is a nostalgia thing huh :)

Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #63

Old 04-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #64
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

On our last ride Nico pulled over at some out of the way farm and "hit" a few animals and then left! does that count??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
On our last ride Nico pulled over at some out of the way farm and "hit" a few animals and then left! does that count??
I noticed the pages a little sticky on that copy of ZooNews you had in your backpack.... ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #66
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

So Sir Nico,
This was an interesting thread.
Why is it, the conversation always seems to head down that "curved and twisted" road, between you and "Blowndodge"....and others?
I like twisted, but twisted roads is what I'm looking for.
Just curious

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #67

hit a snake one day and it flipped up on the wife. another time i was coming home from work. had a state trooper following me real close. was paying more attention to him than the road. then i hit a big black bird. it stuck to the windscreen and didnt come off. so i reached over and fling it off and it smacked into the troopers car. he pulled me over and gave me a heafty ticket.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #68

I can join the ranks of people that got bees in theri helmet. AN odd/scary one though. I was rounding a conrner one night and came face - face with a full grown cow. Gong about 60 on a dark country road. and just happened to have gotten out the fence and decided to stand in the road. That was back when I was on a honda magna. I was able to stop pretty quickly. But whoe knows. Now i have three headlights. I porbly would have seen it sooner in the nomad.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #69
Top Contributor

Didn't hit it but just about. Last night going to work on the bike I almost got an opossum 1/2 mile down the road a black cat ran across at that point I thought turn around and go home or keep going. The night before I had the van and had a bear ran across in front of me Damn new moon
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradontexas
he pulled me over and gave me a heafty ticket.
For what? Sounds like you got screwed. Of course, its never a good idea to give an officer the bird

Old 08-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #71

I hit a pit bull so hard it bent the right crash bar up against the motor, bent the brake peddle all the way in and almost broke my foot. The witness stated that I nailed the dog hard at about 55 mph, spun the dog around about 2 times and knocked him down. Then the dog got up, shook it off and ran down the street as if nothing happened.

I also hit a ped that was running against a don't walk in a crosswalk. Cracked the faring and bent the crash bar again on the rt side. I was doing about 20 mph when he crossed from in front of a bobtail trk at the i/s.

I was able to stay up both times.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #72

1973 or so I was riding down I95 south from Washington, DC on a beautiful Sunday morning on my 500cc Kawa triple just lovin life when I was struck in the face by a seagul that took off from the roadside, with bad timing. Felt like a baseball bat hit me.
I hate it when I run over those little toads that get in the road on the warm summer nights!! Yuk.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #73

So far I got lucky, the biggest animal I have killed was some HUGE bug that splashed on my forehead and left a gooey stain the size of a quarter

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #74
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel

Hit one of those big black birds at the base of the windshield driving up through Mexico. Bird was dive bombing right in the middle of the highway.