Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 01-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #31

How did you crash?

WOW dan. You're a lucky boy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #32
Top Contributor

How did you crash?

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......what 's your official capacity here again Dan ???

j/k ;) ;) ;)

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #33

How did you crash?

Jeepers. I take it you don't do much group riding with stunts like that. :)

Old 01-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #34

How did you crash?

Quote:
Jeepers. I take it you don't do much group riding with stunts like that. :)
When I ride with groups I go the pace of the people I'm with. When I've ridden gravel roads with another person, I've gone their pace, then I might jump ahead for a minute out of boredom, then slow and wait for them.

I don't expect anyone to ride over their ability just to keep me entertained, but I do find going slow a bit of a bore. Consequently, I ride alone a lot.

That crash was totally rider error, not from too much speed necessary, but certainly too much speed for trying to frame a camera shot in my mind while coming up on a corner.

That part was just stupidity on my part.

If not for the camera angle lack of concentration, I'd have been watching the corner, slowed gradually and made the corner just fine.

Hopefully no one else is as thoughtless as I was on that section of road, but I posted it just in case.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
How did you crash?

Quote:
Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......what 's your official capacity here again Dan ???

j/k ;) ;) ;)
You gotta be qualified to hold a position either through education or experience. Sounds like experience to me.

Dan, you are one lucky dude.

I rode with a friend of mine late last fall to follow him home on his new Kaw 2000 Classic. He is a beginner. I stuck with him all the way to his garage and then talked to him for a while before leaving. I told him that I would be happy to ride with him anytime he wanted to get more experience but that he should avoid group rides for a while. He can barely control that monster. Needs lots of TLC and pointers if he is going to survive. He also needs to know that it is okay not to keep up with the group if he is uncomfortable.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #36

How did you crash?

My first and only crash was in August of 1968. On a 67 Triumph in an intersection with NO stop signs. Slowed and looked both ways.Due to a hedge in a yard off to my right I did not see a car approaching the intersection,I broadsided the car and was thrown completely over it.Landed in a yard on my head.I had a helmet on and I'm certain it saved my life,or at the very least serious injuries.I had only minor scrapes and bruises. What I remember most was afterwards in the ER.I swear they used pure alcohol and a wire brush to clean the abraisions on my back.I was wearing a T shirt and blue jeans. I don't even back out of the driveway without a helmet on. To this day I don't understand why there are intersections without stop signs for one of the streets.Since then I have been fortunate. In my opinion every driveway,cross street,and intersection is a potential hazard.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #37
Advanced Member

How did you crash?

My worst, 1981 Marietta Ga., I was heading to Atlanta for a booty call, it was toward the end of a 5 hour ride. I was with two other guys, one we really didn't want along, 85 mph in the lane next to the passing lane, the guy in front was in the passing lane, my front wheel was in line with his rear. He decided to change lanes with out signaling or looking. I saw him flinch a little to the right, the hair on the back of my neck stood up, his flinch turned into a full lane change. His rear tire contacted my front tire and started pushing me across the lane toward a car on my right, so I was leaning left to avoid the car. He then looked over his shoulder, saw me and pulled away. I was leaning so hard my bike went down on the left side. I slid for awhile and ended up in the break down lane. Swollen knee and some scars from road rash. The other guy told the cops I pulled into him. Luckily the guy riding behind me told them the truth..

Next crash, 1983, the day after picking up my brand new GPz750. Rode it straight from the dealer. The next morning, getting on the highway, I figured "I got a sport bike, lets really lean it into the turn" didn't take into consideration the mold release still on the tires. Lost the front end and watched my brand new baby slide down the road.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 02-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #38

How did you crash?

Quote:
My worst, 1981 Marietta Ga., I was heading to Atlanta for a booty call, it was toward the end of a 5 hour ride. I was with two other guys, one we really didn't want along,
A booty call 5 hours away, and going with 2 other guys?

Help me out here Nico and Blowndodge ;)

Old 02-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #39

How did you crash?

AH.....which one do I talk about. :-[ :-[

#1 Let's see....was driving down street in subdivision.....dog ran out from between parked cars... dog coming from my left side ...I knee jerked and evil knevieled to the right on the sidewalk and slid down sidewalk. Should have just kept going straight and not looked over at the dog :-/ One of those moments of inattention...should not have been startled by dog was enjoying the weather/ride laxidasal (I made up that word). It's amazing the amount of damage sliding a bike on concrete will do.

#2 Riding out in country on unfamiliar road crested a hill (no road signs) road made sudden 90 degree right turn...me went straight into shallow ditch. Driving a little too fast and panicked. Was still a newby when this one happened.:-/ If had not panicked..looked into curve......I looked at the ditch. ::)
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #40

How did you crash?

Quote:
[quote:at42snbu]My worst, 1981 Marietta Ga., I was heading to Atlanta for a booty call, it was toward the end of a 5 hour ride. I was with two other guys, one we really didn't want along,

Help me out here Nico and Blowndodge ;) [/quote:at42snbu]

I'm not touching that one.... I'm reformed...... SWB? Toddster?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #41
Top Contributor

How did you crash?

Quote:
[quote:2vkrv07u]

Help me out here Nico and Blowndodge ;)

I'm not touching that one.... I'm reformed...... SWB? Toddster?[/quote:2vkrv07u]

Don't look at me !!! 2 guys in the party ??? you'd better ask SWB or BD !!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #42
Advanced Member

How did you crash?

the end to by beautiful 06 nad, and almost me, came when i was traveling to sturgis last year. i was fourth in line, two lane road, speed between 55 and 60. dont know if i glanced down at map on tank bag, or was looking out in the prairie. when i turned my head up/back, my group was at a stand still to make a left turn into a rest area. panicing and locking my bike up, got me thrown off of it. my nad actually ran me over, and i had the front tire tread imprinted into my hip to prove it. my arrival in sturgis was in an ambulance. head contusion, broken ribs, fractured pelvis and some nasty road rash. my fault 100%, was gettin a lil to excited to get there, and was following to close. which i was recieved my ticket for, in the sturgis e.r.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #43

How did you crash?

That's terrible lonewolf. Did you get to enjoy Sturgis at all? :(
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #44

How did you crash?

Quote:
the end to by beautiful 06 nad, and almost me, came when i was traveling to sturgis last year. i was fourth in line, two lane road, speed between 55 and 60. dont know if i glanced down at map on tank bag, or was looking out in the prairie. when i turned my head up/back, my group was at a stand still to make a left turn into a rest area. panicing and locking my bike up, got me thrown off of it. my nad actually ran me over, and i had the front tire tread imprinted into my hip to prove it. my arrival in sturgis was in an ambulance. head contusion, broken ribs, fractured pelvis and some nasty road rash. my fault 100%, was gettin a lil to excited to get there, and was following to close. which i was recieved my ticket for, in the sturgis e.r.

That's horrible Lonewolf...

I thought this was Doc (lonewolf) posting when I first read it....

Old 02-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #45
Advanced Member

How did you crash?

thru the window of the sturgis hospital ! to add salt to the wound, a guy staying across the street had the same year and color nad, that i had. but i am reurning to sturgis this year with my new bike. !