Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #16

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket
I have no quarrel with those who don't want to wear a helmet or to not have it decided for by someone else that they have to.

For me personally, I will not ride without a helmet. Period.
That works for me, thanks Bob, and Ken I might qualify the above statement to include that if adults have underage passengers I would hope that they have them wear a helmet.

If , however you are looking at signature photos I believe that they are intended to put the members on display and suspect they aren't necessarily representative of the way that they actually ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #17

Helmets - Yes or No.

You may want to ride with a turban here but its still illegal. A guy tried to use that excuse last year and the judge didn't buy his case. But we can ride without safety glasses.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #18

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket
I have no quarrel with those who don't want to wear a helmet or to not have it decided for by someone else that they have to.

For me personally, I will not ride without a helmet. Period.
Or your favorite yellow suit...which, I personally think is a good idea too. I'm going to get some riding britches soon.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #19

Helmets - Yes or No.

Helmet..YES..

Went down a few months ago, and judging from the damage to my helmet, I don't know if I'd be typing this if I didn't have one on. Period..End of story.. :(" title="" border="0"/>

Old 07-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
Mega-Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
You may want to ride with a turban here but its still illegal. A guy tried to use that excuse last year and the judge didn't buy his case. But we can ride without safety glasses.
Oh, my bad - I thought the judge ruled that he could wear the turban. I just remembered reading about the case.

That's like the muslim woman here who wanted to have her drivers license picture taken with her wearing a veil that covered 90% of her face.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Helmets - Yes or No.

Wow....I expected to get hung from the next tree with my HELMET - YES OR NO comment..I never expected to get some many positive (my my point of view) comments. I think that perhaps most cruiser riders are older and thus, respect the danger that motorcyling is to begin with. That and the fact that we have families that don't need "brain-dead" former riders, as a number of you mentioned. I didn't want to over-react in my initial comment, but I am a big proponent of helmets and good protective outerwear. Here in Germany helmets are required. Just the other day some idiot kid on a crotchrocket, along with his girlfriend, went flying down the autobahn at probably 100-110 MPH, tennis shoes, shorts and t-shirts. Ahhh, the exuberence of youth. Ciao - Ken

Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #22

Helmets - Yes or No.

By my choice I wear a helmet and will continue to do so. Of the last 30,000 miles I rode maybe 100 of them without a helmet. Having responded to a few motorcycle accidents, I know the helmet saves lives, especially in low speed accidents. With that being said:

I am dead set against laws that require adults wear a helmet. Your life, your choice.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #23

Helmets - Yes or No.

Interesting thread Ken thanks for posting/starting the thread. Heads are a lot tricker to fix than broken arms/legs. Nancy Nurse

p.s. I always wear helmet even in states where not required-wore my helmet while at Custer every time got on the bike. ;)

As you can see from my sig pics, I also wear a helmet when on the bicycle.

On a motorcycle they don't see you, on a bike some that see you come up behind you screaming or blowing their horns just to startle you. They think it's funny - sickos. My brother in law, rides his bicycle 15-25 miles 4-5 times a week has had people throw beer bottles, cans etc at him.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

I wear my helmet 99% of the time. My under age passengers must wear a helmet. Rules are rules.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #25

Helmets - Yes or No.

When I went down a year ago June I remember quite vividly the sound of my helmet going through the gravel. It was scratched from just outside my left eye around to the ear. No helmet or half helmet and I'd be a lot uglier than I am.

I rode from Crazy Horse back to the hotel, 3 miles, without and did not enjoy an inch of that ride.

Again it is a matter of dressing for the crash and not the ride.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 07-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Even though helmets are a good way to protect your head in an accident, I can't stand being legislated to do anything. In my opinion it should always be a personal choice.
You're in Canada, you could choose to wear a turban instead of a helmet and get away with it.

now that is funny

Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Helmets - Yes or No.

OK, I'll be the black sheep

I do wear a helmet because the law says I have to! (I'm Canadian, he!)
Personally, I would prefer not wearing one. Every-time I go in the states and enter one that doesn't require one, I pull mine off the first chance I get.

Back from Laconia bike week this year, I had mine when coming back because it was raining and it's really hard to drive in a thunderstorm without a lid ::)

I've always been a little rebellious

Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #28
Mega-Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timebandit

Personally, I would prefer not wearing one. Every-time I go in the states and enter one that doesn't require one, I pull mine off the first chance I get.

Back from Laconia bike week this year, I had mine when coming back because it was raining and it's really hard to drive in a thunderstorm without a lid ::)

What are you rebelling against?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #29
Advanced Member

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm the live and let live type of guy.

I don't go for being told what to do.(That's why I'm self employed and I'm the one who decides what I will and can do)
I will not tell others not to wear a helmet but I can decide if I wear a lid or not ::)

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #30
Mega-Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm the live and let live type of guy.

I don't go for being told what to do.(That's why I'm self employed and I'm the one who decides what I will and can do)
I will not tell others not to wear a helmet but I can decide if I wear a lid or not ::)
When I asked "What are you rebelling against" ? That was a set up for a line Marlon Brando said in "The Wild One", the mother of all motorcycle flicks. His reply? "What have ya got?"
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060