Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-15-2009, 03:13 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Helmets - Yes or No.

I know this is a subject that I really should keep my mouth shut about, but I just was looking at a photo of a new member and noted that he and his passenger were not wearing helmets. Admittedly the bike was stationary, but my thought was - if the driver doesn't want to wear a helmet, so be it. But it seemed in the photo that the passenger was a young person. As an adult, a father and a (I hope) responsible rider, I would always want my passenger to wear a helmet (as I do). And as for young people (read children), they should always wear a helmet.

Now I know that the wearing of helmets is a touchy subject in the U.s. and I have no wish to raise anyone temperature, or interfer with their "God given rights," but helmets are just sooo important.

OK, I said my piece.....Regards to all and be safe - Ken

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #2

Helmets - Yes or No.

Ken, It is a touchy subject for some. I do support wearing helmets even when not required. On our Custer trip I did venture out for gas a couple of times wearing a ball cap. It felt good without it but made me wonder what the heck I was doing without it. They are required for all riders in Louisiana. The recent legislative session tried repealing the law to require a helmet for all riders younger than 21 yrs as long as you could show LEO proof of at least $100,000 of uninsured motorists insurance. It passed in the House but failed in the Senate by 2 votes. I'm sure it will come up again next year and pass. Our governor has stated many times that he wants the law repealed. I will wear a helmet either way. Too many ignorant drivers down here.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

For me, 99.9% of my miles are with a helmet. The only time I don't where a helmet is when I make a quick trip to town (2 miles) for something.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

I "usually" wear a helmet, although for short trips, errands, etc. I wear a ball cap or do-rag. It's hard to bring myself to put on a helmet when it's really hot. I always wear one on longer rides, even if it is hot.

Helmets are only mandatory in AZ for under 18 years old.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #5

Helmets - Yes or No.

i believe that i am alive today because of wearing my helmet.
crashed my suzuki v-strom at 60 m.p.h. and took out three
wooden fence post along the side of the road,apparantly with
my head.i was knocked out for aproximately 45 minutes,the helmet
was destroyed,but no permanant brain damage.allthough i am
sure some might want to argue that last point.be safe and wear
your helmet.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Helmets - Yes or No.

Ken, I would agree with your thinking. I think every person should have the right to decide for themselves whether or not to wear a helmet. But, I also think helmets are absolutely important to wear (considering the alternative if you crash without one). I would rather not wear one, especially on hot days, but I always do. I don't want to unnecessarily put my beloved bride in the position of having to clean up after a brain-damaged vegetable, when I could have worn a helmet.

I do think all under the age of 18 ought to be required to wear a helmet, though. That seems to be the responsible thing for me as parent to do for my kids.

(And by the way, I was not riding around Custer without my helmet, contrary to what my picture below may seem to say.)

Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #7

Helmets - Yes or No.

I will say I have only ridden four short trips (testing bike in neighborhood and back from the dealership once) without a helmet. I wear a full face almost all the time but have a 1/2 helmet I wear from time to time. In FL, you don't have to wear one but I choose to wear one.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #8

Helmets - Yes or No.

In Texas you don't have to wear one, I think over 18 or so with proof of some kind of insurance (not good with facts). I do wear my helmet even when I don't have to, but I don't like it when the government or someone else tells me that I have to, I reckon its the principle of the thing, same feelings about seat belts. But to answer your question yes I think my passenger and myself should wear one.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #9

Helmets - Yes or No.

Like Landman I am confident that my helmet saved my egg when I crashed in April of '08. I remember hearing my helmet hit the concrete and then the next thing I remember was lying on my back in the middle of the road with some worried looking strangers standing over me telling me "don't move". I don't know how long I was out, but it was likely only a couple minutes as the police had not yet arrived on scene. I was fortunate to survive the experience with only a concussion and a few spots of road rash.
I don't like being told by the government that I have to wear a helmet, but will continue to wear at least a half shell because I'd hate to put my family in a position to have to care for me in the aftermath of a permanent head injury; especially when I chose not to protect my cranium and it's contents.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #10

Helmets - Yes or No.

A few of us, including myself, mentioned taking short trips without a helmet. Statistics show that the short, slow speed crashes result in fatalities because of head injuries that a helmet would have more than likely prevented. Falling from our bikes at 5 - 10 mph or even stopped could result in a fatal or debilitating head injury. A rider crashing head on into an automobile at 60 mph probably wouldn't survive even if he/she were wearing a DOT approved helmet. Many make a comparison between helmets and seat belts. That is more like comparing apples to oranges because the seat belt requirement is a federal mandate. No federal laws requiring riders to wear a helmet. I believe that a responsible adult should be given the right to choose wearing head protection but kids below 21 should be required for the simple reason that they will take more chances than an older and wiser adult. Besides that, their life is just beginning and should be preserved by law. Just my opinion.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #11

Helmets - Yes or No.

Even though helmets are a good way to protect your head in an accident, I can't stand being legislated to do anything. In my opinion it should always be a personal choice.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Even though helmets are a good way to protect your head in an accident, I can't stand being legislated to do anything. In my opinion it should always be a personal choice.
+1

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 07-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
You're in Canada, you could choose to wear a turban instead of a helmet and get away with it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

I have no quarrel with those who don't want to wear a helmet or to not have it decided for by someone else that they have to.

For me personally, I will not ride without a helmet. Period.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #15

Helmets - Yes or No.

I wear a helmet because it has become a habit, and out of respect for my wife and daughter. When I started riding, a helmet was mandatory for 1 year following my getting a MC endoresment. I rode sport bikes for my first 12 years on two wheels, and always wore a full face helmet. Mostly because the bugs in this part of the country are BIG, and hurt when struck at high rates of speed. After I got married, and kept buying bikes and riding, I promised my wife that I'd "always" wear one. I have changed to a 1/2 helmet now since I got my first Nomad in 2005, but still wear a full face in the winter. It seemed like a small price to pay to get her blessing. The law in Ohio now states "No person who is under the age of 18 years, or who holds a motorcycle operator's endorsement or license bearing a "novice," shall operate a motorcycle on a high-way, or be a passenger on a motorcycle, unless wearing a protective helmet on his or her head, and no other person shall be a passenger on a motorcycle operated by such a person unless similarly wearing a protective helmet. " I apperciate that some choose not too wear them, and I do resent being told what to do. However it is just something I do when I ride, like wearing a seatbelt, or decking out in orange when I hunt, or lifejacket when I waterski. I don't plan on anything bad happening, but I choose to give myself the best odds.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R