Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #46

Personal pet peeves

They're not dumb...they do it on purpose.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #47

Personal pet peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
They're not dumb...they do it on purpose.
I agree, but it is amazing, (even though I study human behaviour) that somebody's selfishness, outweighs their common sense.

If you asked a rational person if it makes sense to come to a complete stop in a 65mph exit only lane, the answer would be of course not.

Change the situation from hypothetical, to real time, and all of a sudden it doesnt seem like too bad of an idea to them, as long as it lets them cut out a half mile of stop and go traffic.

If from some dim witted move on my part, I found myself in that situation unexpectedly, I'd exit and get back on before I'd come to a complete stop in a fast moving lane.

Some people don't belong in the drivers seat of a moving vehicle. Too bad that there isn't a common sense test as part of the drivers license test huh?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #48

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Personal pet peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogooroo
"You can't fix stupid."
Sometimes I would sure like to!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #49
Top Contributor

Personal pet peeves

Too many people consider driving to be a right and not a privilege, and they drive as though they have the right to be wherever they want whenever they want. There is no regard for anyone else on the road because they become selfish children behind the wheel of their "toy".

The sad part is that some of these same people work at schools or churches and tell other people how to drive safely. I still think we should have a sign that pops up at the back of our bikes that informs the driver of their "lovely driving habits". We need a sign that says "Hang up and you might save my life!"
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #50

Personal pet peeves

Pet peeves? Whoa, whoa, whoa. I don't think you realize what you are getting yourself into here. I have way too many to list.

Ok, you convinced me:
  • Consulting the dictionary during a game of Scrabble.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Conversations started by the person at the next urinal.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Blasting 100 gallons of water through the hose just to get rid of a few leaves on the driveway.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Double-dipping.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Popular culture.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Not signaling lane changes or turns.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Making cashiers count twenty bucks worth of shrapnel, forcing the ten people behind you to wait.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Peeking through the door as you walk by my office. Can I help you?[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Art majors and their cultured naivety of everything.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Talking when I'm trying to watch tv.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Thinking celebrities know anything about politics or the economy.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Not understanding the difference between cultural and moral relativism.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Those ultra-bright blue headlights on cars.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Talking on the phone AND applying makeup AND smoking, all simultaneously while driving down the road.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Owning a 4WD and never driving it off-road.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Asking to borrow my SUV to haul an X-Mas tree, as if it's a truck.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Labeling others as conformists while being a part of a highly conformist culture yourself.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Being unaware of your surroundings.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]
  • Asking me which pair of shoes look better with that blouse, and then wearing the other ones.[/*:m:ai1f2ymg]

I'll probably add to this list as I go along...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #51

Personal pet peeves

Burk.... you forgot about wrong thread size...or mis-matched threads on risers!!! LOL!

Grab a cold one bro.... it'll get worse before it gets better!! LOL!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #52

Personal pet peeves

jm,

Hell, yes, LOL.

I suppose my greatest peeve of all time is people not being aware of their surroundings. Whether in a car, on a bike, on the road, or in the grocery store, people just do not pay attention.

For instance, the wife and I were driving home this past Friday evening, down Texas Avenue in College Station, right in front of the University. It's three lanes on each side of the median, and we're in the far right, and this Hummer limousine is in the far left about 100 yards in front of us. At a break in the median, the driver of the Hummer decides to turnaround and begins his U-turn. BIGGEST. MISTAKE. EVAR. He gets turned to the left as far as he can and bumps the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street, so he's basically perpendicular to the direction in which he was previously traveling. Oncoming traffic has to stop, all three lanes. He proceeds to slowly start backing up, basically into our three lanes, as if he expected people to stop for his dumb ass. Long story short, he gets three or four feet into the back-up, and BAM! One-ton Dodge jacked up about two feet with huge smokestacks and mudders on slams into his back-end, just crumpling that side of the Hummer like it was aluminum foil. I dunno if anybody was hurt, I didn't hang around that long.

You can certainly tell that neither was paying attention. That's #2 of the two coolest wrecks I've ever literally seen.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #53
Mega-Contributor

Personal pet peeves

Quote:
I suppose my greatest peeve of all time is people not being aware of their surroundings. Whether in a car, on a bike, on the road, or in the grocery store, people just do not pay attention.
You nailed it! I probably get more disgusted and disillusioned with humanity in the aisles at Costco than I do on the road. People who meander down the center of the aisle, oblivious to the fact that there are 400 other customers in the store with them. Women (usually, but not always) moving down the aisle at a snail's pace with the cellphone attached to their skull. I don't know how many times I've had to fight the urge to slap a cell phone off someone's noggin. Don't even get me going about their kids, especially the ones wearing those damn Heelies shoes. Those should be outlawed. While it's touching that little 11 month old Gregor is learning to walk, does he need to practice it in the middle of the aisle at the grocery store?

I believe that anyone that is so inattentive while operating a shopping cart is equally as inattentive when behind the wheel.

Okay, I'll take my meds now - I'll be fine in a little while.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #54

Personal pet peeves

Both of ya hit the nail on the head!!! It's a combination that they're in their own little world, oblivious to everybody else... and the fact that they don't give a crap about anybody else but themselves!!!

Like I tell my EX-wife.. "It's YOUR world... I'm just trying to get through it best as I can!!!"