Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #61

How did you crash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
... I was in Pine Ridge, on Gooseneck Break Road. I should have taken a hint....
LOL, you didn't tell me that part. About the name of the road that is. I wasn't laughin' about your busted ribs.

Out here we've got a road called Armbuster road. I think I'll stay off it with the bike. ::)

The road where you dropped your Nomad was Skyline Drive, and it was not a crash. It was a zero-speed drop in a sandy intersection. Not even a bandaid for you on that one, but I remember that Gwyn needed a bit of trauma counciling afterwards. The only physical damage was to the gremlin bell, which I refurbished.

I still have that bell on my bike, BTW & have not crashed nor dropped the bike since I put it on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #62
Sr. Contributor

How did you crash?

Yup That drop was because of the crash and the kind of traffic in cal, plus a man hole cover, sanded over and me not know if I should chit or go blind..

I was so befuzzeled I didn't pull the side stand out before I raised the bike (gulp) For anyone who drops on the right, it is a good idea to pull that side stand out before you raise the bike again.

I was in a wild instant that time fer sure... Once back on I blew to about 80 still in first gear limiter be dammned!

I can tell you my ribs didn't like that one bit, but if the 2 of us I am more accustomed to working with broken bones and pain. A few louset ribs won't stop me, but they will make me wish I was stopped just the same.

OT I fell a whole 5 feet of staging once, and broke my left wrist and chipped my left elbow, which was like a silver dollar down my fore arm, and was back at work as a carpenter the next day.

Getting back here still with the same lung ailment I left with was fun to the tune of $1,600.00, but what made that fun was the x ray showing the ribs... LOL The look on the techs face was priceless.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #63

How did you crash?

What? They knitted into a Celtic knot?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #64
Sr. Contributor

How did you crash?

Well I have broken my ribs doing other things besides riding. That only accounts for 11, then there is 5 more for falling down stairs which I am an expert at, and then more hitting things like trees skiing, ice skiing, and trying to fly also skiing. Of course then there is falling down th stairs like things called getting a figgin crampon stuck, which is also very good for hyper-extending the knee, with the additional fun of breaking ribs.

What makes that special is you still get to stand up and put on a 80 pound pack and hike out. Altleast there is plenty of ice in winter, to reduce the swelling.

Not not a celtic knott, but thats not a bad idea as a goal!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #65
Advanced Member

How did you crash?

I was coming up a ramp onto the interstate. To head north, I had to immediately move to the far left. As I built up speed, I checked the rear view mirror and verified an opening in oncoming traffic. I gave it gas-- and things slowed down to dream-like.

All of a sudden, my bike was about 20-30 degrees off-center (strange). I compensated and brought it back to more than 30 degrees off-center in the other direction.

At this point, my thought process was something like, "I can lay it down for a controlled slide. No, I have new paint. I think I can save it." In response, the tires gained grabbed the road, and I flipped.

I came to a stop on the shoulder, lay there making sure everything could move, then got up. My shoulder hurt a bit.

In retrospect: In going up the ramp, I had noticed a track of water--as if a pick-up truck had had water in his bed that had drained on the uphill. This was my first ride after returning from a 10-day 2-wheel trip to New England with my wife. I didn't have her or the luggage on the back.

The combination of wet surface, less weight and the great torque of my Vulcan cost me rear wheel traction and my ego.

Actually, a broken shoulder, helmet rash and banged up ribs provided a very good reminder that I was not immortal. I broke both mirrors on the bike, but the paint didn't suffer a scratch!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #66

How did you crash?

Bob H, Good job researching the old threads and coming up with this one. Thanks for sharing the story, we all learn something from each.