Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-23-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

thread repair

I noticed when I dropped oil recently that my 99 vn1500 sump plug was dodgy, to say the least. I wasn't sure how bad but reinstalled it and put some 1 min gasket glue my car mechanic suggested around the plug...I would of put it on thread too but had already installed and didn't want to take it out again and risk further damage. Anyway has anyone ever used helicoils (not sure if this is just an australian product) to fix this problem? My mechanic was unsure whether they would do a 19mm bolt thread. Can I try thread tape? Again don't want to be taking the plug in and out time after time but a helicoil would require me to trailer bike over an hour away. Anyone have any 'universal' solutions to this thread strip out problem?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #2

Use the screen plug on the side below the left floorboard to change oil. If your drain plug is not leaking just leave it alone.

http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/v...0_oil-sys.html
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-23-2017, 06:25 AM   #3

I got magnetic oil plugs from bike bandit. They fit the threads very snug compared to the stock plugs. Might solve your problem. Also, I've always used just a little of the soft permatex on threads & bolt head. Never had a leak on 45 years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 08-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Can I try thread tape?
Ehhhh, I wouldn't, it makes it too easy to turn and you're liable to screw up what's left.
Any chance you can go one size bigger and tap it out to suit?
There's self tapping plugs also but I'm not much of a fan of them. Just my preference, no real reason why............Mike

Old 08-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #5

If you got it back in and it's not leaking, then don't touch it.

Like was suggested, use the side drain instead.

It's easier and cleaner, you don't even have to remove it, just loosen and the oil will flow.

And it's directional, it's slotted (for lack of a better description) and you can semi-control the direction of the flow.
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #6

It is leaking. After 5 days there was a decent puddle of oil on the concrete, I'd say a couple of hundred ml . It's only this quantity why I feel I need to do something, If it was a few drops I wouldn't bother at all. Also, my oil is fresh -I want to drain it and reuse it after helicoil.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #7

Maybe I drain oil, use a thread/gasket cement on thread and around bolt. Refill and check. And use other drain/filter plug from now on.
..but the helicoil question related to the size of the bolt...my car mechanic queried if they helicoiled that size...but it sounds as though people have used them, and specifically on the 99 nomad. :)

Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #8

I would hope an oversize bolt & rethread would be an option. I doubt permagasket would seal that big a leak.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 08-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngwarrior View Post
Maybe I drain oil, use a thread/gasket cement on thread and around bolt. Refill and check. And use other drain/filter plug from now on.
..but the helicoil question related to the size of the bolt...my car mechanic queried if they helicoiled that size...but it sounds as though people have used them, and specifically on the 99 nomad. :)

Ask them mate.
http://www.timesert.com.au/

Old 08-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #10

I had the same issue with my `08. I wrapped Teflon tape around the plug and a dab of silicone sealant around the base and threaded it back in. I was careful to get it snug but not overtighten it and damage the threads any more.

That`s probably about 2 years ago and no sign of leakage since. I now use the side drain when doing oil changes as most have suggested.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 08-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #11

Just a thought. Did you replace the crush gasket on the drain plug? Without the gasket you may be missing a couple rounds of threads and that drain plug will not torque up. I forgot the crush gasket one time long ago and let it drop in a drain pain.......

Old 08-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #12

The case is nice soft aluminum.

I would try one of the oversize bolts first.

If it works, great, if not then drill it out and use a Timesert, they're easier to use then a helicoil.
VBA 936

Old 08-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Metric helicoils are made. If you go that route, pack the drill flutes and tap flutes with grease prior to drilling and tapping. The grease will trap or collect the chips so they don't end up in your crankcase. Go slow. And look in past the hole so you don't run the drill or tap into something and damage it.

You may have to start the threads with the tap and then grind the starting threads of the tap off so you can get the tap in deep enough to finish the threads out all the way

Good luck.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #14
Advanced Member

This works perfect- but then like most folks use the left side Oil Screen Drain to change your oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngwarrior View Post
I noticed when I dropped oil recently that my 99 vn1500 sump plug was dodgy, to say the least. I wasn't sure how bad but reinstalled it and put some 1 min gasket glue my car mechanic suggested around the plug...I would of put it on thread too but had already installed and didn't want to take it out again and risk further damage. Anyway has anyone ever used helicoils (not sure if this is just an australian product) to fix this problem? My mechanic was unsure whether they would do a 19mm bolt thread. Can I try thread tape? Again don't want to be taking the plug in and out time after time but a helicoil would require me to trailer bike over an hour away. Anyone have any 'universal' solutions to this thread strip out problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Over sized Oil Drain Plug.jpg (97.4 KB, 14 views)