Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #1

Crying Just venting - Tire shopping

Greetings,

Just venting: Love/Hate shopping for motorcycle tires. Most sites have poor filters for narrowing down tire selections. JakeWilson and DennisKirk have pretty good filtering tools. The rest are a just frustrating.
Of course I made my own headaches, I am wanting to do RADIAL's front and back. (Had heard that the rolling resistance of Radials was less, so MGP's should go up.).
Trying to find RADIALS, then in the right size (or an acceptable alternative) and by Brand and by load rating and ... Argh! The filters return the list and NO RADIALS in the return, or not in the size needed!

Thanks for letting me vent...

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #2

Feel Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings,

Just venting: Love/Hate shopping for motorcycle tires. Most sites have poor filters for narrowing down tire selections. JakeWilson and DennisKirk have pretty good filtering tools. The rest are a just frustrating.
Of course I made my own headaches, I am wanting to do RADIAL's front and back. (Had heard that the rolling resistance of Radials was less, so MGP's should go up.).
Trying to find RADIALS, then in the right size (or an acceptable alternative) and by Brand and by load rating and ... Argh! The filters return the list and NO RADIALS in the return, or not in the size needed!

Ride safe,
Smokier
I seem to remember years ago going through the Radial, Bias, Load Rating conversation (Before the Commander II's came out). From my memory I could get a Dunlop Elite 3 tire in either Radial or Bias that would fit the rear. From what I remember the Radial wore out quicker and scalloped more than the Bias counter part.

Also during this time period on my 2009 Voyager - I switched to the Dunlop Elite 3 front tire (can't remember if Bias or Radial) - That is when my journey of front end wobble started. I don't know if it was a Bad Tire or what but it was un-rideable. This was before we discovered All Balls helped/solved the wobble. Ended up putting a Stock Bridgestone back on it - It still wobbled a tad but the Bridgestone tread pattern least magnified any wobble for me.

Am I to assume you want the same tire Make/Model front and rear? I ask this as many say and Manufactures suggest the same front and rear tire as they work together.

I have been running the Metzler 888 Marathon on the front of my Voyager for the last 2 front tires with the Dunlop American Elite on the rear. That is a combination I would not hesitate recommending to anyone. That said - I've got an American Elite front tire in the shop to replace the front when it wears out. I liked the rear American Elite so much I want to try the front.

Don't fret to much about which tire to buy, Cause your gonna have to do it again and again every year - if your riding a lot. Choose the next option next time until you find what works best for you.

As far as the Rolling resistance and better MPG of tires. Over my lifetime I have attempted to reduce my fuel consumption by implementing every "Fuel Saving" promise out there and Never Once have I saved enough to warrant the worth of the gadget. Once I thought that I put so many "Fuel Saving" things on my car that I would have to stop every 40 miles and take gas out of my tank. I guess all those percentages of savings don't add up like that.

Good Luck - Happy Shopping

Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #3

With only 4200 miles on my bike I am shopping for a new tire, now so I know what to get later. Seems there is no Great tire for our rims. Good solid tires, with varying option's but not Great. I read all the tire posts to learn more. But last night I read something that really stuck out, Mike07Nad said he thinks the tread pattern on the front Brigstones has a pattern that helps with the front end wobble. I'm sold. Too many threads about the front end wobbles. Changing head bearings is not for me, so I save money by keeping them in shape with the right front tire.
Changing tires is also not for me so I have a local small business down the street, They do tires, first come first serve. Usually about 2 hours turn around. and I am back on the road. I order the tire ahead of time from them. It' about 10 bucks more than online but they charge 75.00 for the rear and 50.00 for the front on Vaqueros. That includes balancing.
Quote:
Don't fret to much about which tire to buy, Cause your gonna have to do it again and again
I don't fret, but I do like to gather as much information as I can.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 08-19-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Having the "right" tire on the front is not going to extend the life of the head bearings because the wobble only occurs when both hands are taken off the bars.

Unless you drive everywhere with no hands ? :)

Last edited by redjay; 08-19-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Quote:
Greetings,

Ride safe,
Smokier
Remember the days before the internet when tire shopping was done in the car or on the phone ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Wobble not Caused by Tire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
With only 4200 miles on my bike I am shopping for a new tire, now so I know what to get later. Seems there is no Great tire for our rims. Good solid tires, with varying option's but not Great. I read all the tire posts to learn more. But last night I read something that really stuck out, Mike07Nad said he thinks the tread pattern on the front Brigstones has a pattern that helps with the front end wobble. I'm sold. Too many threads about the front end wobbles. Changing head bearings is not for me, so I save money by keeping them in shape with the right front tire.
Changing tires is also not for me so I have a local small business down the street, They do tires, first come first serve. Usually about 2 hours turn around. and I am back on the road. I order the tire ahead of time from them. It' about 10 bucks more than online but they charge 75.00 for the rear and 50.00 for the front on Vaqueros. That includes balancing.

I don't fret, but I do like to gather as much information as I can.
Let me start by sayin - I do NOT believe the wobble is caused by the front tire. What I was trying to say was that depending on the Tread pattern - the OEM tire made the wobble more palatable than other tires.

And I believe that the wobble is a result of Kawasaki not putting enough grease on the OEM head bearings. Not to mention they installed ball bearing instead of a tapered roller bearing.

Also, a stock front tire should last you upwards of 12 -15,000 miles. It's the stock rear tire that wears out in 5-7,000 miles.

Hope that helps. I hope whatever tire you choose you never get the Wobble - But I'm gonna bet that over the life of your bike - You Will - and the answer is the All Balls Bearings.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
the OEM tire made the wobble more palatable than other tires.

And I believe that the wobble is a result of Kawasaki not putting enough grease on the OEM head bearings. Not to mention they installed ball bearing instead of a tapered roller bearing.
I did not mean to put your thoughts into a recommendation. It just made sense to me. I see the lack of grease to be a cookie they toss at the dealer to provide a source of income.
I always remember the story they sold us in Restaurant Management in College. American airlines was looking to save money, they got together a group to look at things that would not impact customer satisfaction but save money. They came up with removing one olive from each salad they served. Saved the company 1,000,000.00 the first year. So a small squirt of grease as apposed to a good amount can save Production costs. Sometimes I forget they do this to make money and not just to make me happy.
If a product lasts forever how do you get someone to sell it without supporting the possible extra business you can get.
I priced re greasing the bearing to save money. My mechanic said it would be about the same price as a replacement. So All Balls is in the picture for the future. Because I know tapered bearings are better, basic physics to me. But I would like to put off the cost as far as possible. I notched the bearings on my last bike but because of the age of the bike, my lack of Knowledge, being ignorant, thinking I did not need to worry and the cost to install ( doing it myself was not an option, due to my skill set). I decided to do a trade and Now I have the Vaquero. It was costly and I like to think I have learned.
Back to the original point, Thanks for the thoughts. And my Tire choice will be the stock for the front. Based off of an observation then, and not scientific data. Confidence plays a big part in how we ride. I'm Confident, Based off of your observations.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #8

I put a set of Avon Cobras on my nomad. They are bias belted. I don't know about tire life yet but otherwise they are fantastic. Greatly improved cornering, silent, no road noise. Stick like glue in wet or dry weather. I can ride wobble free at any speed, ( I still have the original stem bearings). Of course there will always be the one who has a friend who has a friend who put on a set of Avon Cobras and just hated them, fell apart on road, cupped, went flat, etc. etc.. Anyways that's my experience with Avon's.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
Top Contributor

2005 Nomad, stock head bearings. Stock Bridgestones then Avon Cobras, no wobble.
2010 Voyager, stock head bearings. Stock tires then Michelin Commander II, wobble.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
then Michelin Commander II, wobble
And shortly after My Stem bearings Notched. HMMMM... But then again My daughters 3rd cousin, who is my age ( and I swear I never slept with at the wedding) her ex-husband Knows a guy who swears by the MCIIs for bikes. But the real problem started last year when I got a Birthday card from her daughter that said "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad". And this year a cake.IMG_20170803_091032324.jpg
So it just goes to show you that everyone has an opinion on tires,

Old 08-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
And shortly after My Stem bearings Notched. HMMMM... But then again My daughters 3rd cousin, who is my age ( and I swear I never slept with at the wedding) her ex-husband Knows a guy who swears by the MCIIs for bikes. But the real problem started last year when I got a Birthday card from her daughter that said "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad". And this year a cake.Attachment 13071
So it just goes to show you that everyone has an opinion on tires,
The Voyager wobbled on the original tires as well as the Commander II's.
My 1300 V Star does not wobble on the Commander II's.

Seeing as my 05 Nomad had no wobble and my 2008 V Star has no wobble I wonder if the steering geometry of the Voyager accentuates the wobble regardless of the tires fitted ? But then some say that with Allballs steering head bearings installed the problem is solved.

Last edited by redjay; 08-19-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
The Voyager wobbled on the original tires as well as the Commander II's.
Damn, so much for that plan. I will have them tweek my bearings on the rear tire change this fall then. Just to be safe.

Last edited by mbarr10; 08-19-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #13

Thumbs Up Oh and yes, I feel better!

Lots of good comments and observations guys! Thanks to all.

Mike; I do not worry too much about same brand/model of tire front back. I am more concerned with type pairs (RADIAL/RADIAL vs RADIAL/BIAS). The other concern is staying CLOSE to the OEM sizes... And a "personal" thing; dont like front tires with a center rib or channel (Water).

SO ended up with an Avon AV71 Cobra (radial) front and an American Elite (radial) rear.
The bride's ride is MC II's front and back. They are wearing like champs and no wobble (she does not take her hands off).

RedJay; oh yeah, in those days; call the (st)ealer and related shops and try to "deal" on a set. Ufda, fun I don't miss.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Last edited by smokier; 08-20-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #14

Ahhhh - Ackward

Quote:
"Happy Birthday Uncle Dad".
That's funny - I don't care who's your daddy.

Hey Uncle - I tried to do one of them there Jeanieology searches on the internet and our family tree came back looking like a phone pole.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #15

If you happy - I happy

Quote:

SO ended up with an Avon AV71 Cobra (radial) front and an American Elite (radial) rear.
I will be interested as to your opinion on the Dunlop American Elite (Radial) Rear - mine have always been Bias. Thus you could say I've been Bias in all my rear tire comments. (I gotta stop reading that Pun Page on Faceplant, I mean Book.)