Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #16

Since I don't have a fairing on my Nomad, You have everything I am looking to add if I got one.

The radio is functional if you cycle-camp. The radio is functional if you play patriotic music during group rides or parades. The radio is functional when my Sena dies during a IBA ride. The radio is functional is you just want to pull off the highway and dance with you significant other in the moonlight....

That being said, I don't know your situation. Maybe a flipout touchscreen GPS/video screen.

There are many like it... but this one is mine!!
My 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad:
-Ivan's ECU Flash
-Garry's fork brace
-Neutrino Element ECM
-Vizi-Tech SupaBrake 3 brake light modulator
-Ram Mount cell phone holder
-Grasshopper driver back rest

IBA #68409
VBA #3599

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2017, 12:05 AM   #17

You may be able to mount a GPS where the radio is located. Small item storage where the speakers are. Put a couple of USB ports to charge your phone or whatever. It will all take some fabrication skill. If you're not planning on doing it, it will probably cost a fair amount.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:45 AM   #18

My phone is both my GPS and my music player, so no need for that functionality, but I especially like the idea of additional storage space, extra USB ports, and maybe a mount for a cupholder or the like.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #19

I'd put a gun in the radio slot, behind a door that had a hidden release.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
My phone is both my GPS and my music player, so no need for that functionality, but I especially like the idea of additional storage space, extra USB ports, and maybe a mount for a cupholder or the like.
Is your phone waterproof? (Most aren't.) If not, you might consider leaving the radio in place.

If the problem is simply volume, why not add an amp? Or upgrade your speakers? Or both?

I don't care what you do as it's your bike not mine. Just trying to give you some suggestions rather than you butchering your ride.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Is your phone waterproof? (Most aren't.) If not, you might consider leaving the radio in place.

If the problem is simply volume, why not add an amp? Or upgrade your speakers? Or both?
Yes, actually, the Galaxy S7 is waterproof to a certain depth, so unless the rain includes flash flooding, it will be (and has been) fine. As far as the music volume, the first problem I have with it isn't the quality of sound, it's the fact that the volume required to hear it over the wind and through my helmet means that anyone near me gets to hear it too. I DESPISE being forced to listen to someone else's music while on the road, whether at a stoplight or moving down a highway. I will NOT be that guy, and since I don't use the bike for anything that would require it to act as a mobile stereo (bike camping, bike moonlight dancing, bike wedding DJ, etc...) , the speakers will never get used for music. As far as phone calls, my helmet comms work great for that as well, making the speakers doubly useless to me. Right now, they're just taking up valuable space.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #22

Quote:
As far as the music volume, the first problem I have with it isn't the quality of sound, it's the fact that the volume required to hear it over the wind and through my helmet means that anyone near me gets to hear it too. I DESPISE being forced to listen to someone else's music while on the road, whether at a stoplight or moving down a highway. I will NOT be that guy,
Now I get it. Thank You,.... Unless your a Pink Floyd Fan then I can handle the sound. But yes I do not want to be that guy too.

I despise Rap music and do not want the thump while David Gilmore is playing Comfortly Numb guitar solo. Absolutely ruins my day. And I am Serious.

And I used to be one of those guys, Thinking OZZY, Who does not like Ozzy.
Well Turns out they are Ted Nugent fans too. Nice People

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 09-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #23

Let me know when you get a solution, as I'm removing my radio too.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGus View Post
Let me know when you get a solution, as I'm removing my radio too.
It's gonna be a minute, since I've got a cross country later this month, and then a bunch of life stuff to take care of. I expect to start thinking about it seriously early next year, but I'll be posting my progress, for sure.