Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #1

Oil cooler

I haven't had my Nomad long, Heck I haven't seen it in about a month now. I was sitting here surfing my wish list of add-ons and was wondering if there an external oil cooler for the VN1700's? Or is there even a need for one?

There are many like it... but this one is mine!!
My 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad:
-Ivan's ECU Flash
-Garry's fork brace
-Neutrino Element ECM
-Vizi-Tech SupaBrake 3 brake light modulator
-Ram Mount cell phone holder
-Grasshopper driver back rest

IBA #68409
VBA #3599

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2017, 06:37 AM   #2

Never Seen One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeHavel View Post
I haven't had my Nomad long, Heck I haven't seen it in about a month now. I was sitting here surfing my wish list of add-ons and was wondering if there an external oil cooler for the VN1700's? Or is there even a need for one?
I've been around/had the 1700 since it was introduced in 2009. An oil cooler is one thing I've never seen. But then again I haven't seen everything.

As far as need.

#1 - the liquid cooling on the bike does a pretty good job at keeping things in check. (In case you didn't know - it only really cools the heads.

#2 - The Ivan Reflash helps reduce the heat on the 1700 engine partly by turning on the fan sooner so it doesn't get "Blasted Hot" before the fan comes on and also the retune just runs cooler (not as lean I think)

While I'm not familiar with different Air-Cooled bikes - I understand that Oil coolers were added to help keep things cooler - I'm gonna guess that you will find that is not the case for the Kawasaki 1700.

These are my opinions and your mileage may vary.

Oh #1 add on - Ivan Reflash http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/vn1700.htm

Old 08-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeHavel View Post
put case guard chaps on it and it will run cooler -- my fan hardly ever comes on even before ivans re flash -- cost @ 110 bucks for air lite brand

Old 08-10-2017, 03:42 AM   #4

Ivan's

Ivan's flash is the next mod I'm going to do. First was the brake light flasher (before I knew about Ivan).

The chaps/lowers look pretty cool, I'm adding those to the list too.

-Ivan's ECU Flash
-Garry's fork brace
-Neutrino Element ECM

IBA #68409
VBA #3599

Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #5

Yes, theres a oil cooler for the bike. Theres a base plate the can screw under the oil filter, was made by transdapt. Run your lines off the adapter to your cooler.
With water cooling, really doesn't need it....
On my bike, I'm running hotter cams, hi-compression pistons, I run the transdapt sandwich adapter under the oilfilter, I believe its the 1322, but just change the filter nipple if its the wrong size, and your good to go.
I'm running a hayden 3 row oil cooler just above my radiator....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 08-13-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:32 AM   #6

That looks like a couple items I can get. I just thought that there may have been a motorcycle specific set-up.

-Ivan's ECU Flash
-Garry's fork brace
-Neutrino Element ECM

IBA #68409
VBA #3599

Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #7

Caution - Measure first

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Yes, theres a oil cooler for the bike. Theres a base plate the can screw under the oil filter, was made by transdapt. Run your lines off the adapter to your cooler.
Not sure if there would be room under the Oil Filter on a 1700. On my Voyager with the stock short oil filter I use an End Cap Filter wrench that you put a 3/8 drive ratchet in. I have to make sure I remove the ratchet just after I break it loose or I can't get the ratchet out as the threads unscrew - very tight.

If I read the spec's on the Trans Dapt 1322 Oil Cooler Sandwich it is 2 1/4" thick - I would be surprised if there would be room to put an oil filter on it once is was installed. (Also, I only looked at the thickness of this - I have no clue if the threaded parts match up.)

Many have made modifications to their 1500/1600 Vulcan's which work great. What I have found is that the 1700's are just enough different that it may or may not work.

I may be all wet in my thinking - just saying measure to make sure there is room if you try this.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
Not sure if there would be room under the Oil Filter on a 1700. On my Voyager with the stock short oil filter I use an End Cap Filter wrench that you put a 3/8 drive ratchet in. I have to make sure I remove the ratchet just after I break it loose or I can't get the ratchet out as the threads unscrew - very tight.

If I read the spec's on the Trans Dapt 1322 Oil Cooler Sandwich it is 2 1/4" thick - I would be surprised if there would be room to put an oil filter on it once is was installed. (Also, I only looked at the thickness of this - I have no clue if the threaded parts match up.)

Many have made modifications to their 1500/1600 Vulcan's which work great. What I have found is that the 1700's are just enough different that it may or may not work.

I may be all wet in my thinking - just saying measure to make sure there is room if you try this.
Have to run the stock short, type filter....It gets busy under there fast, for more room, use 90 degree fittings coming off sandwich adaptor....will save you alot of headaches.
Also remember, the metric size of the Nomad filters is 20 x 1.5mm where the filter screws on, you have to change the 1" nipple thats on it.
Just call them, they'll help you out....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #9

Let me also say, this is not a bolt on deal here. The transdapt has alot of diff models....the model that I modified was either the 1322 or the 1358, don't remember which.... I've slept since then....
You have to install hoses, fittings. I'm using this setup on my 1500 trike project which needed a turbo feed line, oil temp, cause I'm running 8-14 psi of boost, also needed a oil return line....
Heres what I'm using on my turbo 1500 trike project, which also can be used for a oil cooler line, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMO.../dp/B004UVL6T4
I've done considerable mods to the 1500/1600 engines....a oil cooler helps all bikes.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #10

Great theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Let me also say, this is not a bolt on deal here. The transdapt has alot of diff models....the model that I modified was either the 1322 or the 1358, don't remember which.... I've slept since then....
You have to install hoses, fittings. I'm using this setup on my 1500 trike project which needed a turbo feed line, oil temp, cause I'm running 8-14 psi of boost, also needed a oil return line....
Heres what I'm using on my turbo 1500 trike project, which also can be used for a oil cooler line, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMO.../dp/B004UVL6T4
I've done considerable mods to the 1500/1600 engines....a oil cooler helps all bikes.
I personally think we are trying to resolve an issue that is not an issue - but it's been a good conversation. I once wondered how you would hook up an oil cooler - Never thought of this method. I'm out! Ride Safe.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
I personally think we are trying to resolve an issue that is not an issue - but it's been a good conversation. I once wondered how you would hook up an oil cooler - Never thought of this method. I'm out! Ride Safe.
i definately agree with this comment

Old 08-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:
I am Not sure how you can discount the valuable information that DL has. It may not be the answer you want but, maybe it was the wrong question. It was more information than my skill level has but, still very valuable comments from a proven trustworthy source. Thanks DL. I'm In. I can't/ won't try it but keep in mind I'm the kind of guy that has leftover parts when I reassemble things. So I know better than to try it.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-15-2017, 06:12 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Smokehavel has a 1700, Dragonlady is talking about 1500/1600, very different engines and opposite filter locations. The 1700 filter has to fit behind a frame member and not much extra room, as Mike says, but that member can be unbolted to better access the filter so anything is possible.
For a 1700 (and any stock liquid cooled engine) an oil cooler is totally unnecessary and likely more trouble than it's worth. Over a million kms on my Vulcans without an oil temperature related issue, they just keep going, and going, and going.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #14

Sorry if my comments sounded disrespectfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
I am Not sure how you can discount the valuable information that DL has. It may not be the answer you want but, maybe it was the wrong question. It was more information than my skill level has but, still very valuable comments from a proven trustworthy source. Thanks DL. I'm In. I can't/ won't try it but keep in mind I'm the kind of guy that has leftover parts when I reassemble things. So I know better than to try it.
I by no means meant any disrespect to anyone by my comments.

<I am Not sure how you can discount the valuable information that DL has>
I was not discounting DL's information - I learned a lot about how oil coolers could be hooked to just about anything with a spin on oil filter - I did not know this information prior to this post.. I learn everyday!

<It may not be the answer you want but, maybe it was the wrong question.>
I really have no predetermined answer to the question, The question was asked if a 1700 Vulcan Nomad could have an oil cooler added. I responded "I haven't heard of that being done". As the discussion progressed I tossed out concerns based on my knowledge gained from the 100,000 miles on my Voyagers.

Bottom line for me is that I was attempting to caution a seemingly eager original poster to want to purchase "Things" that may not work very well on a 1700 Vulcan based on Very knowledgeable experience from a 1500/1600 owner.

Some history - I'm very active in another Kawasaki Vulcan Forum over on Delphi. We had/have a very knowledgeable member who had a 1500 Nomad and has since switched to an HD Ultra. As people ask questions regarding the 1700 Voyager / Vaquero / Nomad - advise is given that does not apply to the 1700 at all. As Garry said these 1700's are different - similar but not the same as older Vulcan's. Still to this day advise is given as gospel to new folks about the 1700's when I still don't think he's only ever sat on one in the show room but has never ridden one.

So that being said - I'm was only trying to add Caution to the conversation for newer Vulcan owners.

Again - sorry if I sounded disrespectful. Was by no means my intent.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #15

Never thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
The 1700 filter has to fit behind a frame member and not much extra room, as Mike says, but that member can be unbolted to better access the filter so anything is possible.
I assume you are talking about the bottom Rad support where the Voltage regulator is? I never thought of removing that to change the oil. I had to replace that support when I added the KAMS to my 09 Voyager. If I remember right 2 bolts can re removed and the bottom rad support is out of the way. Wonder if that would allow the longer filter to be added.

That brings up another question - I have never tried a longer filter on the Voyager - will they work or isn't there enough room to get them in there. I have always run OEM filters.