Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #1

Beware Scootworks, makers of Phat Risers, Etc.

Just a cautionary note. In late February I ordered a set of Phat Risers from Scootworks, speaking/ordering from Dave. He showed me pictures of the product, and I placed my order paying with PayPal after receiving a PayPal invoice from his business.

A few weeks later (March 13) having not heard nor received anything, I emailed Dave and he told me that he had been busy out in the workshop and had the risers ready to go, adding that they would be shipped out the following day and that he would send me a tracking number. I got nothing.

On April 10th I emailed him again and he apologized saying that he had some "family issues" that he had been taking care of and would get them shipped right away.

On May 1st I contacted him again and he replied that he thought that they had already shipped but that he would check and get back to me. That was the last time he contacted me.

I tried three times since then and have never heard word. I honestly don't know what has happened, but I do know that I am out $100 and have nothing to show for it. And since I paid as if as a "gift" (thought I was doing him a favor) I have no recourse with PayPal.

So, just a buyer beware.

2003 Nomad 1500 Don't have a pic just yet 2003 Suzi VS1400
1999 Suzi VS800 1986 Yami FZ600 1974 Suzi TS400

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

Shame you we're unaware. Problems regarding Scootworks have been well known and commented on here for quite some time.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 07-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

linesider, I would contact Paypal and let them know what happened and how you paid with the "gift". He is not allowed to use that option with a business transaction so they may investigate and refund your money. They may also close his account if they find out he is abusing it.

Can you file a claim with your credit card since you never received the merchandise? That may be worth a try also.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

EXACTLY which PhatRiser model did you try to buy from Scootworks? Not dimension, not color, use the MODEL number.

I have a set of very slightly used PhatRiser in the garage. If you can provide the model number you need and it matches the model that I have, then I will be in touch. I needed a bit more pullback than they provided me.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #5

Everything you said in your first post was what I was told when I ordered 2 pulleys and a belt from him to change my Drifter to belt from chain a few years ago.
He takes the money right when you order but it takes months to get the product.
I did get the change over kit and it was worth the wait, but very aggravating.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #6

As you have seen if you went to the scootworks site,it's pretty much shut down. You can't order anything anyway. I guess because of the reputation he created from that site it was no longer advantageous to keep it going. However he has created a new site to work from. Here is the address so you can continue to work on getting your money back.

http://www.621cycles.com/

Old 07-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #7

I got a pulley from them when I had my 900. Looks like the new version of scootworks only deals in bling and suspension mods.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
Top Contributor

I scoped out the new 621 page. He doesn't seem to have much for sale but I did notice he is selling some "hard tail suspension" bits. Unless you have a bar hopper, why would you ever want a "bone crusher" suspension (and I use that term very loosely)?
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 07-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #9

linesider... Sorry you fell victim to Scootworks. I realize it's little conselation, but you are not alone. Once was a time when they sold quality products, and shipped out on time. But, those days are long gone.. Many people have been bilked and cheated by these folks, myself included.

I did a quick search of the forum, http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...archid=1182331 and came up with 484 hits on just the keyword scootworks.

I hope you can find some kind of recourse from Paypal.

Unfortunately, you may have already said it yourself... "Buyer be ware"

Good luck..
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #10

This company is right down the road from me. 8-10 years ago had a nice showroom and very helpful....I've been by the address listed for them but it appears vacant. The owner was great to work with at one point...not sure what has happened to them??

Old 07-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Advanced Member

I deleted my last post to update my comments.

Dealing with Scootworks 2005-2010 the owners Dave and Debbie were always upfront and made my delivers on time. There was one item which did take quite some time but they did make good as the item arrived !

From a few comments of (locals) going by their storefront perhaps they are cutting cost by closing their storefront to sell online only as many many companies are doing this ? Needless to say they could be liquidating and changing their course in life which we all can do or do. I am sure Dave and Debbie will make good !

It was always a pleasure to deal with them in the past.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #12

From another forum, here's the scoop on Scootworks:

Just FYI,

David and Debbie Hockaday, the Scootworks owners, went bankrupt on Feb 11, 2013. They have at least one legal judgment against their company for $40,000 (on file at Wake County, NC). If you go to BBB.org, you will see they have an "F" rating, and have over 51 complaints against them, many dealing with parts they simply did not ship to customers after charging their credit card. Google Scootworks Complaints....it speaks for itself.

Additionally, the belt drive conversions they make are dangerous. They do not measure the pulleys after they are manufactured, do not properly temper and grade the aluminum/steel they use, switch belt manufacturers not realizing that the tooth profile is not the same, resulting in catastrophic failures, and test their new "designs" by getting a customer to put it on their bike at "no charge". The customer gets to be the guinea pig. Google Scootworks Belt Drive Issues to see the vast problems people are having.

They have not paid their bills to their suppliers, such as Fastenal and McMaster Carr, resulting in all of them pulling their line of credit. Many of the motorcycle shops listed on the Scootworks Dealer Page do not even know they are a dealer - David just listed their name to get street credit after they purchased only on part from them. In further discussions with the dealers, many are angry to be associated with Scootworks and have had their lawyers demand to be removed.

David Hockaday has started anther company, EastRC.org, to shelter his assets because people are coming after Scootworks legally. Apparently he has no issues not paying his debts and screwing good people who place orders with his company out of their money.

I can provide all of the documentation to support these claims. I want to spread the word so that honest, hard working bike riders are safe and not taken advantage of.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
From another forum, here's the scoop on Scootworks:

Just FYI,

David and Debbie Hockaday, the Scootworks owners, went bankrupt on Feb 11, 2013. They have at least one legal judgment against their company for $40,000 (on file at Wake County, NC). If you go to BBB.org, you will see they have an "F" rating, and have over 51 complaints against them, many dealing with parts they simply did not ship to customers after charging their credit card. Google Scootworks Complaints....it speaks for itself.

Additionally, the belt drive conversions they make are dangerous. They do not measure the pulleys after they are manufactured, do not properly temper and grade the aluminum/steel they use, switch belt manufacturers not realizing that the tooth profile is not the same, resulting in catastrophic failures, and test their new "designs" by getting a customer to put it on their bike at "no charge". The customer gets to be the guinea pig. Google Scootworks Belt Drive Issues to see the vast problems people are having.

They have not paid their bills to their suppliers, such as Fastenal and McMaster Carr, resulting in all of them pulling their line of credit. Many of the motorcycle shops listed on the Scootworks Dealer Page do not even know they are a dealer - David just listed their name to get street credit after they purchased only on part from them. In further discussions with the dealers, many are angry to be associated with Scootworks and have had their lawyers demand to be removed.

David Hockaday has started anther company, EastRC.org, to shelter his assets because people are coming after Scootworks legally. Apparently he has no issues not paying his debts and screwing good people who place orders with his company out of their money.

I can provide all of the documentation to support these claims. I want to spread the word so that honest, hard working bike riders are safe and not taken advantage of.
Very Good Information and Thank You for the Update