Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

Ops the big crash

It finally happened to me the big crash after close calls over the years. Been riding since 14 am 62 now.

Yes it hurts but not bad. Broken right wrist and I am right handed. Very deep bruised right hip bone that is the worst of the accident. 2 upper ribs broken, 2 toes broken, and road rash on legs and elbows. Not to bad really I would say at going down at 100 kph. Was sitting upright when it came to stopping on my bumb that explains the hip. Not walking in a wheel chair huts to much and well in this case drugs are great pain killers prescription.

I have not viewed the bike or trailer yet that will be a few weeks away once I am better. Typing in one finger method so it is slow going.

Told trailer is ok by tow truck driver and he says bike is not bad at all really. It ended up about 200 feet away from where I sat, upside down trailer still attached.

If it is possible I am going to rebuild bike so in future will be posting list of parts need that is still a long way off.

Yes will ride again things do happen and just happy I am ok and in great shape after all said and done.

Was on holidays when it happened just outside Valemont BC. Had been all over BC on holidays about 7000 kms I put on bike from Prince George to Vancouver Island to Kamloops and was heading home that day and planned to be home that night.

I think it was something on highway a piece of pipe or something that caught my front wheel and violently turned it to the left but never saw it must have blended into road surface.

Here is video of bike before accident in Jasper Park camp grounds and myself letting you all know I am alive and well.

It is a great day to be alive that is for sure.

Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by buckey1313; 07-18-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #2

As I always say, I'm happy you are able to type this story. Get better and get back in the saddle!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
Rest is stock (Currently)

Old 07-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #3

Sorry to hear this . Hope you heel up quickly and are able to get back to doing what you love !!!

Old 07-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

I wish you a good speedy recovery, at least your still here with us to talk about it.
The bike can always be fixed or replaced. Take it easy for now and rest up for a while.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

Can do nothing but rest as hip will not let me stand up. Frustration level is high as am right handed and that is broken wrist so can not do much for myself. my mood is high and awesome so happy most of the time just frustrated I am a person who never asks for help and now am having to and hate that.

it will all come together in time and I look forward to working on my bike if it is not a write off I want to do it. It gives me something to look forward too.

thanks for the well wishes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by buckey1313; 07-19-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #6

Sorry to see this but I'm happy you survived as well as you did. I hope you heal very quickly and get the bike fixed to ride again.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Last edited by JD Hog; 07-19-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Here's to a speedy recovery. Did you have a helmet on and what does it look like?

Old 07-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #8

I also am interested in what you were wearing. Jacket, boots, gloves, pants, helmet (1/2, full, etc. Boy it all can happen in the blink of an eye. Glad you are on the road to recovery... Take Care

Old 07-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #9

Yes had a Nolan N43 Helmet on. My left leg has the most road rash on it. Helmet was in open face configuration at the time and it has one small not bad scrape on it in one spot. I was sitting up when I came to a stop. What I remember is I stayed on bike as it tipped over must have hit the helmet then on the ground I believe. I rode bike tucked in for a shot bit them pushed myself off bike and away from it. My left elbow has a small road rash not bad really. I believe that is why my left hip hurts so much can not walk on left leg as believe it took the hard blow when I left the bike and have torn mussels etc and bruised really bad on it. Please keep the negative comment down I know about leathers and am not a child I do not need a scolding from anyone at this time.

My jeans are in style they are torn up but not that bad really lol so that answers that question. I had just a hoodie on was a really hot day and the hoodie is not that bad either. I had no gloves on and my hands are perfect no marks. I Know allot will scold me for what I was wearing but that is our own personal choice. Most of us have had on same thing as me when you run to the store at one time or other and things can happen at any time.

Lucky me in lots of ways.

Last edited by buckey1313; 07-19-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Sorry for your mishap, heal quickly and complete. Be Safe.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 07-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #11

Very unfortunate. Get well soon

2006 Vulcan Nomad
2003 Road Star Silverado *SOLD*

Old 07-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
It finally happened to me the big crash after close calls over the years. Been riding since 14 am 62 now.

Yes it hurts but not bad. Broken right wrist and I am right handed. Very deep bruised right hip bone that is the worst of the accident. 2 upper ribs broken, 2 toes broken, and road rash on legs and elbows. Not to bad really I would say at going down at 100 kph. Was sitting upright when it came to stopping on my bumb that explains the hip. Not walking in a wheel chair huts to much and well in this case drugs are great pain killers prescription.

I have not viewed the bike or trailer yet that will be a few weeks away once I am better. Typing in one finger method so it is slow going.

Told trailer is ok by tow truck driver and he says bike is not bad at all really. It ended up about 200 feet away from where I sat, upside down trailer still attached.

If it is possible I am going to rebuild bike so in future will be posting list of parts need that is still a long way off.

Yes will ride again things do happen and just happy I am ok and in great shape after all said and done.

Was on holidays when it happened just outside Valemont BC. Had been all over BC on holidays about 7000 kms I put on bike from Prince George to Vancouver Island to Kamloops and was heading home that day and planned to be home that night.

I think it was something on highway a piece of pipe or something that caught my front wheel and violently turned it to the left but never saw it must have blended into road surface.

Here is video of bike before accident in Jasper Park camp grounds and myself letting you all know I am alive and well.

It is a great day to be alive that is for sure.

Dave

The idea of it blending in with the road is a real danger.

I got a real lesson back in '82. I was headed home from work about midnight, there had been a small amount of mist, not fog, and I was climbing up the Altamont grade east bound. Just as I cleared the mist I noticed something in the road just before I hit it. It was a piece of split firewood. Looked like oak and it was barkside up. It blended in with the color of the blacktop. The light on my Honda was poor at best. You would over drive the low beam and blind everyone with the high.

When I hit it the front tire came up and moved left as I crossed it on the end. It was lying about 45 degrees to my line of travel. The piece of wood came up and hit my case guard.

This puts me in a condition like a counter steer move, putting me in a sharp right change of motion.

Lucky for me it was midnight and there was no traffic on the freeway.

It took all 4 lanes to get straightened out and I didn't go down. My guarding angel kept me upright that night.

But the danger is very real for obstacles blending in and not able to see them until it's too late.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #13

Glad to hear you came out of that as well as you did, no scolding from this direction . Prayers that you recover quickly and get to make your own repairs if that's what you want to do. Take care for now it will be waiting on you when you're able.

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 07-20-2017, 12:12 AM   #14

Dave, very sorry to see this post. Man we live right next door. Im in Stony Plain. If there is any help I could provide just let me know. I do have an number of parts and pieces from my Nomad and Voyager that may help with rebuild. dart me an email at yelnatspuc@gmail.com
Regards,
John
2006 900 Kawa Classic
2007 1600 Nomad
2013 Voyager

Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #15

Get well soon.