2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #2

I thought this was one of the best comments on that link.
"Millennials are only focused on being virtue signallers and social justice warriors scanning tweets for violations, they are group thinkers they do not have independent thoughts, at colleges if a student does have a dissenting thought they know to keep it to themselves. conforming to the ideology is number one. millennials have produced no musical rock n roll groups of note, no music at all except for computer altered voice singing with no back up bands. they have no rebel spirit, which is what usually fuels the music scene like grunge or punk, or even new wave. sad! "

Old 07-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Such a sad lot they are.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Such a sad lot they are.

I can remember,as a kid,running out to the front gate to watch motorbikes go past.While other kids got comics,i had bike magazines,and could tell the difference in the sound of a Norton & Triumph/BSA.Ariel ect,by the time i was 8yrs old.I ride around today,and even with the noise my bike makes,the young uns dont even look up from their i pads.I dont envy them at all,the sad little bastards.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #5

I have to agree...with everything posted so far...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #6

Yup , I totally agree . The farther away from technology I am the better I feel . I do realize that it can be a very helpful tool in life but sometimes it's great to just let go and see the real world without it .

Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #7

I'll agree that colleges teach kids to be followers, not leaders. I agree that technology is the downfall of man - we have no social skills and are lazy because of it. At the same time, I agree that technology is one of the greatest things about mankind! Balance is key.

The thing about generation Y (millenials) is that they're not all lazy, self entitled jerks with no work ethic, passion or talent. It's a broad generalization. The reason alot of millenials are that way is because of their parents poor parenting skills. Baby boomers are the parents of Gen Y. I could generalize that they're all grumpy old farts with no skill for anything relevant today.

I'm good with my hands. I weld, I build cars, bikes. I play in a rock n roll band that plays stuff I love: zeppelin, hendrix, cream, bb king... the list goes on. I have a 54 chevy 210. And a modern mustang GT. And I'm a IT systems administrator. That job affords me the opportunity to buy 1000lb bikes and old cars if I want. But, I think my baby boomer parents raised me right. I embrace technology and old school trades alike. As I said, it's all about balance.

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes

Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Cultures change and each generation defines their era. People outside of that generation can bemoan it because they are different like a last ditch effort to preserve what they know, or they can challenge their assumptions and actually try to understand the factors that make the younger generation different. it's not necessarily a good or bad type of thing. Kids today grow up in a world that has some different requirements to survive and do well and the ways of older generations may not work as well and probably don't work as well for them. If they aren't into HDs and heavy cruisers, I am sure there's a good reason for it. It's up to companies to evolve with the changing cultural conditions to remain in business and even profitable. Bemoaning from a business perspective will just aid in circling the drain.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I can remember,as a kid,running out to the front gate to watch motorbikes go past.While other kids got comics,i had bike magazines,and could tell the difference in the sound of a Norton & Triumph/BSA.Ariel ect,by the time i was 8yrs old.I ride around today,and even with the noise my bike makes,the young uns dont even look up from their i pads.I dont envy them at all,the sad little bastards.
You still remember the sounds of the old Kawasaki's and Suzuki's ?
....Ring..ding..ding..ding... Ring...ding..ding..ding...

Old 07-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
You still remember the sounds of the old Kawasaki's and Suzuki's ?
....Ring..ding..ding..ding... Ring...ding..ding..ding...

And the smell of 2 stroke oil. Everyone said those cheap Japanes bikes were crap,but those people had the same mentallity as Harley riders.They were faster,lighter,and a lot more reliable than anything that went before them.The 350 Kawasaki S2 would piss all over a Triumph Bonneville.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...aki_350_S2.jpg

Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #11
Top Contributor

I saw a Padgett Yamaha leaving my local youth club circa 1966 and it made the Triumphs/Nortons/Beezers look like they were stood still. Not much later came the 750 Honda and the Kawasaki triples. Then in the early 70's came the 900 Kawasaki.
The writing was on the wall for British bikes, they were doomed.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I saw a Padgett Yamaha leaving my local youth club circa 1966 and it made the Triumphs/Nortons/Beezers look like they were stood still. Not much later came the 750 Honda and the Kawasaki triples. Then in the early 70's came the 900 Kawasaki.
The writing was on the wall for British bikes, they were doomed.

I had a 1978 Yamaha RD400E,Beckett tuned.It would eat the Z900's Laverda Jota's,and anything else it came across.With a set of Micron pipes, it was seriously loud too.

Last edited by mick56; 01-09-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

In 1965 I was 15 years old. There was a Benelli and Motor Morini dealer about 300 feet from my back door. Two blocks away a Yamaha dealer, 3 miles to a Honda dealer, 4 miles to a Harley dealer, 6 miles to a Kwawsaki dealer, Triumph was about 25 miles. Anything else was considered too far to bother with. Back then we all switched bikes for a night or borrowed something for a weekend if we wanted to venture further outside the area. You didn't need to go and buy a bigger bike, just borrow John's 650 Kawasaki. What fun we had for a couple of years in high school.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Last edited by Loafer; 07-25-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Millennials want self driving cars if they can't catch an Uber. They spend a bike payment on lattes and smart phones.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 07-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I had a 1978 Yamaha RD400E,Beckett tuned.It would eat the Z900's Laverda Jota's,and anything else it came across.With a set of Micron pipes, it was seriously loud too.
Did you pawn your shoes to buy gas for the Yamaha ?