Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #16

Quote:
I had a speedo-healer at one time. Caused a skip. Removed it and all was normal
Not Knowing much about how these things work, was it plugged in on the initial start up of the bike with Ivans re flash of the ECU? Can this cause any issues. Like if I forget to in plug the O2 sensor and fire the bike up initially will/ could it cause the ECU to program differently?

And

Quote:
May not be riding much longer anyway
What kind of talk is this?

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #17

So I am going to get my ECU flashed after reading all of the reviews. Did most of you leave the stock exhaust or change it at the time the ECU was flashed? Thanks for any reply.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerfred View Post
So I am going to get my ECU flashed after reading all of the reviews. Did most of you leave the stock exhaust or change it at the time the ECU was flashed? Thanks for any reply.
I had the stock exhaust for 9 months before changing to Cobra Tri Flo mufflers. You will still notice a huge improvement with stock intake and exhaust. If you plan on pipes with a BAK make sure that you inform Ivan so he can flash for the BAK option.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #19

Quote:
when I shift into 2d and at about 2K - 2.5k RPM and crack the throttle ( And I don't mean wrapping in wide open) it stumbles, hitches and surges dramatically
I have not Ivanized and Run with Rays Throttle mod, My bike will somewhat do that in that RPM range. after I loosened the belt some it was less dramatic. Just an observation. Above 27 or 2800 its better after 3000 No problems. Not sure if this helps but thought I would share it.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
This is the way it usually works out for me but, I'm pretty close to the point where I'm regretting having the ECU flashed.. Of course it's only my bike and no-one else is having any problems at all. I'm sure there will be many here that will tell me that it's just my bike and there is something wrong with it causing the symptoms. There will be a host of reasons ranging from throttle body problems, type of gas, spark plugs, riding technique, time of day, tire pressure, atmospheric conditions, if I slept well the night before, geographical location and on and on. Here are the issues. When I start it up for the first time that day and after letting it warm up, when I shift into 2d and at about 2K - 2.5k RPM and crack the throttle ( And I don't mean wrapping in wide open) it stumbles, hitches and surges dramatically . When I get into the higher gears it starts preforming more normally. And, after riding for a while, and it seems, after its been shut down then started back up, everything is pretty normal. I always use Top Tier 93 octane gas, have new spark plugs and have run Sea Foam thru the gas tank. I've also used the spray Sea Foam thru the throttle bodies along with Throttle Body cleaner so they should be relatively clean. The rest of the day it runs pretty normal. Not quite there yet but thinking about getting a new ECU and being done with it. I'd rather have a dog that trots along without complaining than a stumbling Greyhound. The bike has 54k miles and I ride conservatively, and still only get 34-36 mpg. I treat her like I own her not stole her.
I have been getting a stumble on mine for the 1st 4-5 times of twisting the throttle, even lightly. Doesnt matter if I let it reach operating temp or start and go. After this, it gets much better and mine does not have the Ivan mod. Hope to find the problem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #21

Pilot, not sure if this will help your problem, but just took mine for a short ride and it was much better. I unplugged both plugs from the throttle body, about 8 wires each, 1 on front on 1 on the bottom. I sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner and re connected them. I then sprayed B12 carb cleaner in the throttle body and let set a few minutes, then soaked a clean rag in some Seafoam I have and used an allen wrench to wipe the inside of the throttle body around the throttle plates. I had key on, but not running, twist the throttle to open them. Was much smoother after doing this.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #22

Post Ivan Flash

Just rode back from Ivan's after getting the Voyager flashed. What an amazing improvement. Smooth throttle, a lot of more power and no popping. Wonderful improvement. Was in and out in 20 minutes. Very nice experience.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
I have been getting a stumble on mine for the 1st 4-5 times of twisting the throttle, even lightly. Doesnt matter if I let it reach operating temp or start and go. After this, it gets much better and mine does not have the Ivan mod. Hope to find the problem.
sounds like u have the same issue that i do and others have commented on too
it is not consistent or related to eng temp or ambient temp -- my first thought was tps [throttle position sensor] because that has been an issue on some of the cars i have worked with in years past -- used to be they were adjustable so u could often times correct a stumbling problem with a simple adjustment -- on our 1700 there is no adjustment the way its put together -- i tried to adjust mine once but the cover on it wouldnt let it move and i didnt want to risk damaging the throttle body by taking it apart just to see if it could be done

if anyone has done that i would like to know -- at the cost of those things i hesitate to risk it just to see if it can be done -- i think my issue is related to throttle position not rpm so that makes me think tps signal to the ecm maybe -- possibly a bad spot on the contacts in the tps that could be cleaned or finessed to get it right ----- has anyone tried it ???