Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthWest Group

Old 11-09-2014, 01:16 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
My first rally was the National in Custer. I had joined KawaNOW the year before when there were just a few over 400 members. If I remember right, there were over 50 Nomads at the Bavarian Inn. Seeing that many Nomads in one place was both a rarity and a treat. Down here, I'd be lucky to see another one besides mine every couple of months. Riding all the way up to Custer and meeting Trip, Larry, Gene, Brad, Scott, Daryl, and so many others on the way up was a privilege and I will always hold those fond memories very close. I don't post very much but I manage to get on here every few days and can't help but notice how much things have changed. So many, including myself, have changed brands and several aren't here anymore. But it's always good to meet up with the old lifelong friends I've made here. We need to continue meeting while we are still able to throw a leg over and ride.
I agree Mitch. I joined when KawaNOW was just a couple of months old and attended rallys in Mesquite '08, Custer '09, and Cortez '10. My career situation changed to where I've had to travel way more than my liking for work, and I have hardly had anytime to ride. Still have he green machine, but it's probably seen less than 1,000 miles in the last three years. Pretty sad.
I do value the friendships I've made here, and while I seldom post, I do lurk and usually check the forum every other day or so.
Those who remember, Scott was the SW regional Leader until he changed brands, and then Trip asked me to serve in his place, and I asked Jared to be assistant regional leader. Then in 2010 when my travel schedule got really crazy, I simply couldn't provide what's required for the role, and Joel stepped up. Great job man, now take a break.
I may not ever make another rally (I might, one never knows what the future holds), but I do hope to stay connected.
Be safe guys, don't sweat the small stuff. Hope to see some of you in person again soon.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #62
Top Contributor

Time for a change

Geez, a guy goes fishing for a few weeks and look what happens. Joel....you have done good things my friend. It is a thankless job that few are willing to step up to. Having been involved in planning numerous rallies myself, I know how much time and effort goes into making it all work. Thanks for your tireless efforts.

The VBA can't and never will be what the original KawaNOW was. It will never be as tight as that original Nomad-specific group was with all of its founding members. Rolling into Custer in 2009 to see 50 or more Nomads was a really great experience and was the beginning of many lifelong friendships. Sadly, and for a variety of reasons, this forum has gone from that once tight-knit group to a typical forum where people just want quick information without actually making an effort to form any real bonds. I can gets lots of information on the Victory Forum, but I'll never make a lifelong friend like I have here.

Kawasaki treats their cruiser market as an afterthought, with their sport bike division getting all the attention. They should have listened to the members here and made every effort to give them what they wanted. Instead of simply revamping the original Nomad platform with more power and touring options, they changed the entire thing. They gave us less rider space, ugly saddlebags, and basically everything we told them we didn't want. It's not rocket science to figure out why people have jumped ship, finding their needs better met with other brands. The Nomad was a real flagship bike, and they could have had a real solid and loyal customer base had they just been paying attention.

I don't come here near as often as I used to, checking in only once or twice a week now instead of three times a day as I can keep in touch with my buds via Facebook or text messaging. There is little more here for me now than to add a comment or two to a newbie Nomad owners questions.

Jared has his hands full (and maybe not the time commitment necessary) to turn this thing around. The old guard have to a large degree folded up their flags and few new members are stepping up. I don't blame Joel for taking a step back...and hope that someone else can pick up the ball and run with it. If they can't or won't...it's only a matter of time before things go further south here.
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 11-10-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #63
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Tahoe anyone?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #64
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
Geez, a guy goes fishing for a few weeks and look what happens. Joel....you have done good things my friend. It is a thankless job that few are willing to step up to. Having been involved in planning numerous rallies myself, I know how much time and effort goes into making it all work. Thanks for your tireless efforts.

The VBA can't and never will be what the original KawaNOW was. It will never be as tight as that original Nomad-specific group was with all of its founding members. Rolling into Custer in 2009 to see 50 or more Nomads was a really great experience and was the beginning of many lifelong friendships. Sadly, and for a variety of reasons, this forum has gone from that once tight-knit group to a typical forum where people just want quick information without actually making an effort to form any real bonds. I can gets lots of information on the Victory Forum, but I'll never make a lifelong friend like I have here.

Kawasaki treats their cruiser market as an afterthought, with their sport bike division getting all the attention. They should have listened to the members here and made every effort to give them what they wanted. Instead of simply revamping the original Nomad platform with more power and touring options, they changed the entire thing. They gave us less rider space, ugly saddlebags, and basically everything we told them we didn't want. It's not rocket science to figure out why people have jumped ship, finding their needs better met with other brands. The Nomad was a real flagship bike, and they could have had a real solid and loyal customer base had they just been paying attention.

I don't come here near as often as I used to, checking in only once or twice a week now instead of three times a day as I can keep in touch with my buds via Facebook or text messaging. There is little more here for me now than to add a comment or two to a newbie Nomad owners questions.

Jared has his hands full (and maybe not the time commitment necessary) to turn this thing around. The old guard have to a large degree folded up their flags and few new members are stepping up. I don't blame Joel for taking a step back...and hope that someone else can pick up the ball and run with it. If they can't or won't...it's only a matter of time before things go further south here.
Right on my friend !!

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 11-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #65

Time for a change

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Crap. Didn't realize me stepping down from the Regional Leader position would cause this type of discussion.

No kidding! You have done a great job though, thanks for all the work! Take it easy now ;)
See you in Eureka Springs
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #66

as for rallies to attend in 2015 for me I have three choices but think I won't make a final decision until after the first of the year.i am signed up for the vba rally in eureka springs
but am having second thoughts because interest seems weak to me.then there is brads
Tahoe rally that has like 3 people confirmed to attend and lastly the concourse owners group national rally in cortez,co. should be well attended and they have 130 rooms blocked out for their event.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 11-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
as for rallies to attend in 2015 for me I have three choices but think I won't make a final decision until after the first of the year.i am signed up for the vba rally in eureka springs
but am having second thoughts because interest seems weak to me.then there is brads
Tahoe rally that has like 3 people confirmed to attend and lastly the concourse owners group national rally in cortez,co. should be well attended and they have 130 rooms blocked out for their event.
The motel in Eureka Springs in almost sold out. Mostly VRA members I would think.
Like I said before it's the members that make the forum and rallies what they are.
I hope to see you in Arkansas next June.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers