Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #1

removing the rear tire

need some advice. with idahos jack adapter under my nomad and the bike placed on a craftsman motorcycle jack will i be able to jack the bike high enough to get the wheel and tire out from under the bike. thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #2

removing the rear tire

Oh, yes. even without the adapter it'll come right out. The real key is that the left bag, rails, and muffler must come off, which makes a lot more room.

Here's mine, which I just did Thursday:

Old 05-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
removing the rear tire

Even with stock exhaust on a 1600 cadd??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #4

removing the rear tire

Oops! I should look at my own photos, huh? The muffler and rails only must absolutely come off if you want to lube the swingarm and driveshaft. But that's something I do at every rear tire change anyway.

In the instance of these photos I didn't as the tire was changed very early due to a big nail.

Also, I did just change my rear tire Thursday, but those photos were from a previous tire change. The photos from Thursday didn't come out well.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #5

removing the rear tire

Also, I think with stock mufflers the whole exhaust system has to come off to do the swingarm/driveshaft, as the rear head pipe covers the swingarm bolt.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

removing the rear tire

PS: Remember that you can always "crib up" the bike if you want it higher. Jack it up some, put blocks under it, drop the jack, add blocks to the jack, and jack it up some more.

Just make sure it's stable, tie it down when you get it up there (note that my photos do not show the tiedown straps attached) and pay close attention to what you're doing.

Also use the safety ratchet on the jack! If the hydraulics fail, they usually do so slowly, bu it is possible for them to fail suddenly and drop the bike right on you.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #7

removing the rear tire

really appreciate the info.have had my nomad for 3 years and i have decided to start changing myown tires.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #8

removing the rear tire

Anyone use the motorcycle jack that is sold at Harbor Freight? Wonder if its Junk or Not

Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #9

removing the rear tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrian
Anyone use the motorcycle jack that is sold at Harbor Freight? Wonder if its Junk or Not

I have a friend who uses one, and it works well. I went to harbor freight to get one (on sale) and they were out. I needed one "in the morning" and sears had theirs on sale, so I went and got a craftsman. except for the colors (and decals) they "look" exactly the same.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #10

removing the rear tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeister56
really appreciate the info.have had my nomad for 3 years and i have decided to start changing myown tires.
Its quite simple to do yourself, once the wheel is off,I had my old tire off, and the new one on within 15 minutes. It took longer to balance it, than changing it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #11

removing the rear tire

Ringhading,

Where did you get the whitewalls? Really add a diferent look to the Nomad don't they. I had some on a Drifter and really liked the look. So: Where, Cost, Sizes, and How do they handle? Thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #12

removing the rear tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead
Ringhading,

Where did you get the whitewalls? Really add a diferent look to the Nomad don't they. I had some on a Drifter and really liked the look. So: Where, Cost, Sizes, and How do they handle? Thanks
The tires are both Me880 Metzelers WWW 150/80/16 this is the only size available for the Nomads in whitewalls. I like the look of them on my bike, and they handle quite well. I bought the front tire last season, it was $110.00 from Ron Ayers Motorsports. The rear was just installed a few weeks ago, it was $238.00 purchased locally. (see the price difference between Canada and the States) Actually I just recieved an email from Ron Ayers last night advertising tires 10% over cost, only until May31. Heres a link;
http://www.ronayers.com:80/index.cfm?kw=memorialdayweeked&adv=4

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #13

removing the rear tire

I forgot to mention my bike is an 02, 1500. The 1600,s come with a 160 width tire on the rear that is not available in WWW. You can put the 150 width tire on the newer bikes, its just a slightly narrower tire.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

removing the rear tire

Justbrian.. I have the HF jack and mine comes down mighty fast.... I get a helper when I bring that one down....

To save on helpers, when the bike is just set to be up right, I crack all the bolts loose, and remove saddle bags rails and exhaust as needed. Pull the axel and bhang the caliper like Cadd shows.. Then I jack up the bike a little bit, and shove the wheel over leaving it on the ground.. jack up the bike as needed to clear the rear wheel and roll it out.

The new rubber gets launched up by hand, which isn't so easy for me, but because I am old and weak.... Once most everything needed is in place then. I go get my wife to lower this jack.. I am sure mine has a problem, and maybe that will be the last thing I fix on this side of the grass...

All I can say is the first time I went to lower it and it dropped like a rock, well that came as a shock. I had the idea it was just new,but now.... cheap crap from China and where Sears gets theirs...

If you can test it before you buy..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #15

removing the rear tire

Put some thicker oil in it Mac. Like 90 wt. or thicker.