Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Post ride checks?

Got home from work on Thursday. Changed into my shorts and t-shirt. Came back into the kitchen and my wife's eyes got big and very concerned, "What did you do to your nose?"

I had no idea, but it must have been pretty gruesome to elicit her response. I went into the bathroom to look in the mirror. Across the bridge of my nose was a thick, coagulated mass of what looked like dried-blood. I didn't remember cutting it or banging up against anything in my shades that would open it up that much. WTF?

Then, I gingerly touched it. It was a bug that had formed perfectly in line with the bottom of the nose bridge of my glasses.

I had run through a couple rain spots on the way home. Some of those drops hurt. I guess one of them was a bug.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #2

Post ride checks?

YUCK! Just the other day on the way to work, I smacked a dragon fly. It covered my right glasses lens and dripped onto my cheek. One thing about it he won't have the guts to do that again!
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad

Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Post ride checks?

Sounds like a June Bug, they are dull blood red when battered open, and can hurt.

As a teen I encountered one not far from a pit where all sorts of people shot targets. I used to go there myself. This day was hot and back in the late 60's no one was very safety consious like now, so i was in boots and jeans only with a shirt and jacket in my leather bags, The bike was a Triumph 650 bonnie.

Well as kids do i was goin like a demon, and when i was hit, thought I had been shot in the sternum. Before i could die, i pulled over, to stop and die in peace. When i did stop the bullet hole had legs. That bug really hurt.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Post ride checks?

I once got a wasp in the back of my shirt that stung me before I could pull over.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #5

Post ride checks?

Many years ago my best friend and I were riding hard, me on my 650, him on his 550. I was following him, when all at once he slid backwards on his seat, really hard, his hands were gripping the handle bars and it looked like he was just hanging on.

He hit the brakes hard, so I followed suit and we coasted to a stop along side the road.

I put my kickstand down and walked up to him to see what was wrong. He slowly got his helmet off and was gasping for air and holding his chest.

Finally he managed to tell me he took a sparrow in the chest. It damn near wiped him off the bike. He had one hell of a bruise dead center on his breast bone., all from a bird that probably only weighs a few ounces.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Post ride checks?

bugs on the face, just can't be avoided, when they hit hard or on a sensitive spot it can make you lose concentration for a moment, you don't want to lose control over a bug
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 08-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #7

Post ride checks?

??? You guys don't have windshields on your bikes and face shields on your helmets ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #8

Post ride checks?

Back in 1980 there were not alot of bikes with windshields, I had one on my bike, my friend had taken his off to feel the wind.

He put it back on after the ride, which we cut real short.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Post ride checks?

I keep my faceshield pulled completely down any time I ride. What the windshield doesn't stop the faceshield does. I wouldn't ride without either.

Long ago in the day before helmet laws I can remember being hit so hard in the forehead they would almost knock you out when they hit you. Probably a june bug as it felt really large when it hit.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Post ride checks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
??? You guys don't have windshields on your bikes and face shields on your helmets ???
Have the windshield, but I look over the top of it. The wind hits right at the top of my helmet. I guess the bug didn't quite follow the wind path.

Face shield: In the summer. I wear a half helmet and motorcycle sunglasses (foam lining around the eye sockets)