Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-18-2010, 04:40 AM   #1

Rider struck by lightning in Colorado

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...56/detail.html

I'm still in Europe, but looked at the local news just to see what is happening. I've seen a rider almost struck by lightning, so close I thought it got them, and I've had a strike so close I zapped through the metal rod of an umbrella, but this one would have been bad news.

Do any of you take precautions for lightning?

I'll confess that after the near miss(I was getting something out of my hardbag in a parking lot) I was afraid of it for a while, but now I ride through storms. What about you?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

That is really something Dan. Hard to imagine getting struck by lightning. Guess he is fortunate to be alive.

I have ridden in downpours but not while it was lightning. If I see lightning I will seek some type of shelter if possible.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #3

I try to get inside if its bad lightning close by. Its nothing to fool with.
Last summer my son was playing in a school yard and lightning struck the flag pole, they where about 25 yards away when it hit, they were fine luckily but he said the asphalt was smoking around them for a minute.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #4

I witnessed a close friend (class mate) get struck by lightning in 1971 while crabbing on a dam in Southern Terrebonne Parish. It was a direct hit in the middle of his shoulder blades. He was killed instantly and burnt nearly beyond recognition. 2 weeks later, another from the same class flipped his car near where I now live and was partially ejected while the car was rolling. He too was killed instantly. We were at the scene of the accident the following morning and the funeral home workers were there with a flat shovel and bag picking up sections of his skull. Not a good year for our class. Anyway, back to the lightning, I refuse to let my operations crew work outside during a thunderstorm. Don't care if the plant is falling down around my ears, they won't go outside. Several years ago when I was an outside operator, lightning hit a vent stack about 40 feet from where I was standing and ignited it. That was too close. Lightning scares me more than anything else that I can think of. On a bike, you aren't grounded but that won't stop lightning from striking you. It is such a powerful force and the voltage is so high it could easily go to ground by jumping from the metal rim to the road. Nothing to fool with IMHO.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #5

I totally agree with all of you. I too duck for cover.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #6

We have a lot of lightning strikes here in Colorado Springs. When I was in College, I used to work for a stucco company running their lath crews. This basically involved wrapping the exterior walls in metal stucco netting or metal lath. One summer afternoon were trying to finish up a large home next to the foothills as a thunderstorm was brewing, but still looked to be an hour or more away. Sky overhead was blue and cloudless. All of the sudden, an ear-shattering boom shook the ground as a lightning bolt struck the roof of the house we were working on. A bizarre blue flame with sparks began firing off of the metal netting we had just installed and lasted for several seconds. One of my guys screamed like a little girl. We wrapped up and went home, but it really impacted me as to how far away from the actual storm a lightning strike can occur.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Sure reminds me how weak, frail, and easily destroyed we humans are!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #8

Lightning, hail, and tornadoes are the show stoppers. The last trip was a three hour delay in Durango due to lightning. Missed two tornadoes, golf ball and baseball size hail in northern Colorado and South Dakota. That kind of heavy weather is not worth the risk, I will find someplace to wait it out.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
but now I ride through storms. What about you?
No way would I ride in an electrical storm! The odd thing about lightning is that it doesn't really come out of the sky and "strike" you. If you watch a high-speed video of a strike, lightning forms BETWEEN you and the sky. You'll see part of the lightning bolt reaching up FROM an object on the ground to meet the bolt from the sky to make the connection.

If you've ever been very close to a strike, just before it happens you feel the charge in your body. That means you're a potential target as are all the other objects around you. That feeling means that you're already trying to make the connection with the lightning and that a lightning bolt could come shooting out of your head toward the sky.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #10

I was having supper last night with a collegue of mine (we're EMS managers) that is a good friend of one of the other riders from that group, all firefighters from Broward county Fla., the guy past away from his injuries after his transfer. Although the news report a helmet "splinter", the thing broke in half and the victim well lets say was not a pretty site.
About two years ago a rider was struck and killed in Gatineau, Quebec while riding during a storm on a highway. Let's just say it's like being on a golf course, why chance it.... IMHO

RIP rider
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #11

After my near miss(hit something nearby, but still zapped my hand where I was touching the metal rod of an umbrella) I was supper cautious. I missed a VROC rally 15 miles away just because the weather report showed a few lightning strikes on their live map. Most everyone at the rally kept riding from reading their posts, but the near miss was still too fresh in my mind, and I didn't want to chance it.

I wouldn't purposely ride into a lightning storm now, so I'm not that cavalier, but I'd probably ride to that VROC rally now, as did most of the people who were there.

If you could see thunder heads building 30 miles in the distance, and you were on a trip, at what point would you get off the road and wait however many hours it took for it to pass completely?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Dan,

I rode into a storm (well, the storm backed up on me) that contained quite a bit of lightning and it was hitting close. There was no where to pull off or turn around. I was pulling seat cushion out for a week. I've had lightning hit 80 feet from me. It was a hard enough strike that me and my dad were on our butts looking at one another. The general look of "Let's get the HE!! out of here".
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #13

Don't remember the year; but it was in Colorado that several young kids were killed by lightning while playing a sport on a high-school field.

The problem was... there weren't any storms in the sky around there.

It was later determined that the lightning was generated from another storm nearly 30+ miles away and around several other mountains. This was documented by Doppler radar.

So... while a freak situation... it remains possible to be struck by lightning generated from many miles away.

In those situations... if it happens, well then... it was just simply your time to go. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #14

Wow. This is incredible. Never really thought much about it.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #15

Several years back my hubbie (Ken) was doing some plumbing under a house out in the country. Skies clear pretty day...then a bolt of lightening far off in the distance. ....traveled thru the ground and Ken got a good jolt as he was touching a metal pipe.
Rocked him pretty good....there was nobody home he said he could just see folks coming home from work that afternoon and finding him laying there dead under their house still holding the pipe.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing