Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 10-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #1

I've had a lot going on. Update!

My fall project started out as getting and installing a Venture trunk on my Nomad. Some how things got caught up an a whirl wind and it went something like this.

When Liz saw my trunk she decided she wanted one also. So she bought one on ebay that was supposed to be in very good condition with a third brake light installed and included the quick disconnect mounting rack. When the trunk and rack arrived the trunk had a large crack across the front on the lower section and several smaller cracks in different locations. The trunk is a 83/84 model and the rack he sent was for an 85 model with the helmet locks so the trunk would not work with it.

Since her trunk did not have to be painted right now ( is Venture red with a mural painted on it ) I decided to work on her trunk first. So after buying the proper mounting rack I started building some mounts to attach the rack to the bike.

But in the middle of this my son who lives at home decided that we needed a larger air compressor so we could use his paint guns and air tools. So he purchased a 2 stage, 60 gallon, 145 psi, 240 volt compressor and I had to shuffle stuff around in the garage to have a place for it and then run a 240 volt circuit to it.

Back to Liz's trunk. Got the cracks all fixed with JB Weld mounted the rack on her bike and got her to check it out. It needed to be moved forward about 2 inches. Back to the grinder and welder. Moved the trunk 2 inches forward and got her blessing in the installation. Welded everything up tight. Painted the rack and mounting brackets, when they dried I installed them and hooked up the 3rd brake light.

During the middle of all this I got convinced that I needed to convert my Lincoln wire feed welder to a mig. So the kit was ordered, a gas bottle lease was purchased, a new welding cart ordered, and today I converted the welder with the cart supposed to be here Monday or Tuesday of next week.

And while doing all this I have been fighting a severe back problem I believe is a bulged disk. But today I went to the doctor and got an adjustment and I feel better than I have for several weeks. So I think for now I will just do a rattle can paint job on my trunk and put it back together for the Tallimena ride. That will give me 10 more days to get it ready and installed on my bike. Boy retirement is sometimes just hard work!

Shoot I just remembered I have to put a new rear tire on the wifes bike!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #2

Being retired I often wonder how I ever got it all done before I retired.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #3

My wife and I are both retired. We are so busy that we have to have a calender to keep up with everything.

We are not touring Europe or playing golf, we are just doing stuff like you Watchman. It is refreshing to hear we are not the only ones.

Bill

Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #4

Take it easy on that back Watchman. I'm looking forward to meeting you in Antlers.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Don't overdo it, Jim. Looking forward to ridin' with you and Liz again in two weeks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #6

Can you come down here and take my place on the 16th, 17th and 18th of this month?

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #7

Let me think about it. NO!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
Advanced Member

I wonder how long he thought about that?

Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiep24
I wonder how long he thought about that?
a nanosecond. maybe.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 10-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #10

Update: Liz's trunk is on her bike with 3rd brake light working and she has new tries front and rear. Air compressor is up and running as is now my MIG welder. My trunk got painted this morning and the mounting bracket has been sandblasted. I can put my trunk together Monday and I can finish the mounting bracket while I am waiting for the trunk paint to cure. Calling for a chance of snow here Saturday night with a low of 32 degrees. Hope it warms back up by next Wednesday.