Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Let's see. Go on a Kawasaki web site and ask if Harley Davidson is better than a Nomad?

I wonder what the answers will be.

We're not even in winter yet and here come the stupid posts.

This place has sure changed.
i think its a fair question. seems 50/50 split for people who have /had both. i rode a 25,000 dollar harley and was horrified at the ride! for 25 grand?? no f'ing way.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #32

Of course there are differences between a Harley and a Nomad. Several, if I am to be completely honest.

However, rather than make a list of what they are, I would concur with what Trip stated; which is, ride what you can afford, and what your needs are.

I started out with various Hondas long before riding a Nomad. All of which was before I settled on a Harley for my specific needs and requirements.

While some may be asses with regard to the bike they ride, I would not let it bother you as most all have owned and ridden bikes other than a Harley. They should have no room to make rude statements. If a bike makes the man, then that person is a sad excuse of a human being.

Besides, if anyone is an ass about the bike you ride, than it is obvious they are not someone you would care to associate with -- period.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #33
VBA Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Of course there are differences between a Harley and a Nomad. Several, if I am to be completely honest.

However, rather than make a list of what they are, I would concur with what Trip stated; which is, ride what you can afford, and what your needs are.

I started out with various Hondas long before riding a Nomad. All of which was before I settled on a Harley for my specific needs and requirements.

While some may be asses with regard to the bike they ride, I would not let it bother you as most all have owned and ridden bikes other than a Harley. They should have no room to make rude statements. If a bike makes the man, then that person is a sad excuse of a human being.

Besides, if anyone is an ass about the bike you ride, than it is obvious they are not someone you would care to associate with -- period.

Ditto Mr. Wilson.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 11-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #34

Thumbs Up

I paid $4,000 for my '05 Nomad 9 months ago... Road it 5,000 miles locally in VA and then road over 3,000 miles in 10 days to Vegas... It has done GREAT and has been a VERY powerful and nice ride!!! I agree with most of the previous posts... Ride what you can and don't listen to the crap from others!!! It is WAY BETTER to have 2 wheels in the wind than to wear a t-shirt and sit on your F###ing couch!!!!

Last edited by mattmckean74; 11-22-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #35
Advanced Member

To me it's a no brainer, especially if you are buying used. The fit/finish on my gently used 07 Nomad is far superior to the Harley. I sold my two Electra Glides and missed having a touring bike so I bought a gently used, pristine 07 Nomad and love it. I still have a nice Dyna Super Glide and an Adventure bike plus my vintage Triumphs.

Buying a new Harley was out of the question because they are stupidly expensive with the air cooled Twin Cam motor running incredibly lean to satisfy the EPA nazis.

I bought my gently used Nomad for a song and love it. I simply do not understand what kind of expensive upgrades guys are putting on these to make them look like a Harley and to bring them up to the cost of a Harley. The Nomad runs out nice, even with the stock exhaust, with an aftermarket exhaust running between $400-600. To me the stock wind screen is far superior to the Road King with a Clearview running about $250 for those who don't like it. A bat wing style fairing is also around $250 for the Nomad for those who have to have one.

I've ridden my Electra Glides all over the US and have ridden my Nomad in British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest. I'll be riding my it across Canada next summer from Vancouver to Nova Scotia in comfort and with confidence in its reliability.

I rode two Harley's at Sturgis this summer, a friend's Street Glide 110 CVO and my Dyna. They were lost in a sea of Harleys but the ones that stood out were some very nicely farkled Japanese cruisers, to include those at the camp sight next to us.

Yes, everyone loves a Harley, it's style, sound and heritage but IMHO, don't think ill of your Nomad. It's a fine machine and dollar for dollar, you can't beat it.

If you really feel the need to get an American V-Twin, I'd be looking at either a Victory or an Indian Chief. Excellent and priced less than a Harley.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Navigator; 11-22-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #36

This is kind of repetitive as I have stated this in other threads. I confess I have a fully warranted '05 Road King. It had 12k on it and I paid 10 G's with a trade in. It's had some stuff...they dealt with it. Now I need the cam fix, which will cost 1,200 total. Would do it myself, but don't have the press and the pullers. I bought the Nomad in Feb. with 11k for 7K out the door. I play with my Nomad...there is no warranty. I enjoy both bikes, but got the Nomad after researching much and finding out how reliable they are. It's a beasty and a blast, one up or two up. They are machines with 2 distinct personalities. I like the shaft drive and water cooling, so I don't burn up my HD in the summer. Enjoy the rides and watch out for dummies.
Harley Bagger Muffs
Christian Motorcycle Rider

Old 11-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Hi Guys. I've enjoyed reading this, thanks.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #38

I bought my 04 1600 classic for 3500 bucks with 32,000 on it and it doesn't miss a beat. Added HD hardbags, trunk and a mustang seat and it rides just as good if not better than a Harley. Ive test rode several Harleys and always reverted back to my Vulcan. All personal preference.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #39

I have been watching this with some interest. I've had both and both had strengths and weaknesses. What you like is subjective. I thought my last Nomad rode great after my updates and my pillion thinks the Harley rides better than the upgraded Nomad. ????

I think you ride what works for you; other people can offer their opinions. No one can tell you what is best for you. I can tell you that specific brand ownership will not gain you inclusion. Some people are living proof that not all horse's asses are on horses. So be comfortable in your own skin and ride what you like. I do miss my ergonomically correct heel shifter.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 11-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Nothing makes me smile more than asking an honest question that is answered by members that have owned both Nomads and HD's and then get jumped for their, I guess, "biased" opinion by those that have not.

If you'd like riding a Schwinn with a back pack than owning a Gold Wing, Cross Country Tour or RG/Ultra HD then the Nomad will work fine for you.

Over the years I've enjoyed the numerous motorcycle magazines comparing long distant mounts. I don't think I've ever found one, in any of those articles, that in the end stated if one of them had to get to the east coast (2,000 miles) in 2 days quickly with the least amount of fuss and maximum comfort wouldn't grab the keys to the Gold Wing. I totally get it.

Some bikes make traveling long distances a lot easier. I vote easier every time!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Nothing makes me smile more than asking an honest question that is answered by members that have owned both Nomads and HD's and then get jumped for their, I guess, "biased" opinion by those that have not.

If you'd like riding a Schwinn with a back pack than owning a Gold Wing, Cross Country Tour or RG/Ultra HD then the Nomad will work fine for you.

Over the years I've enjoyed the numerous motorcycle magazines comparing long distant mounts. I don't think I've ever found one, in any of those articles, that in the end stated if one of them had to get to the east coast (2,000 miles) in 2 days quickly with the least amount of fuss and maximum comfort wouldn't grab the keys to the Gold Wing. I totally get it.

Some bikes make traveling long distances a lot easier. I vote easier every time!

Brad hit the nail on the head here. Myself as well have owed both and for long trips I vote for my HD all day long.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 11-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #42
Sr. Contributor

Buy what YOU want and ride the hell out of it!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge;645531

[B
If you'd like riding a Schwinn with a back pack then the Nomad will work fine for you.
[/B]

Wow, a little hypocritical aren't we Brad
If that is not a bias opinion I don't know what is.
I hope that was just your unique brand of humor and you weren't serious
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 11-25-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Wow, a little hypocritical aren't we Brad
If that is not a bias opinion I don't know what is.
I hope that was just your unique brand of humor and you weren't serious
Tim, sure I have my own brand of humor but I owned a 2006 Nomad and rode the crap out of it and now own a Victory CCT and it makes the Nomad felt like I was riding a Schwinn. I've owned both so how is that a biased opinion? I don't get it?

My first car was a 1966 VW. I eventually over the years owned a Lexus. Can't I say the Lexus is a better traveling/riding car than my Bug without being biased?

When I first got married I lived in a little apartment. Can't I say the home I now live in is more enjoyable and comfortable without being biased?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #45

I can 't help wondering what the responses would be like if the same question was posed on a HD forum.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136