Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
i looked long and hard before buying my nomad. a deciding factor was a review i read were they test drove the vulcan, Yamaha's Road Star, Suzuki Boulevard and harley road king and all three reviewers picked the nomad. plus for $10000 cheaper than the harley... no brainer.the review is out there, google it up.

my bro rides a harley and is now trying to sell it to get a Vulcan after seeing mine
hey tony, 1st of all welcome from n.raleigh, it doesent matter what ya ride they all do the same thing IMO, to me the harleys felt a bit cramped, you spend a lot of dollars on any motorcycle that you take pride in what ever that may be. Ive spent a lot on my vaquero but it just fits, if I owned a harley I would spend it in different areas such as extending the pedals and floorboards to make it fit
SKULLSHAKER

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Riding a bike shouldn't be a "keeping up with the Jones" thing. If the Kawasaki feels right when you're riding, who cares what the others are on. I love my "03 Nomad. It fits me. Would I own a HD? Did once. Wasn't impressed any more than if I had been on a dirt bike. Nothing wrong with it, just felt like it was someone elses bike. Sold it. Bought the Nomad and been happy sense. A percent of HD owners are Harley riders because they think it impresses others. That bug hits it and they are polishing any. I've heard the words "I wouldn't own Jap crap". Then they crawl in the Nissan pick up and drive off. If the thought of riding the Kawasaki bothers you cause your friends are on HD's, then you are not riding cause you love the ride.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #18

To me the decision on what bike is better is just like any other significant purchase.
You have to determine your wants and needs, how much use will it get and how much you're prepare to spend.
The best item and the best option don't always go hand in hand.

I recently bought a new roof, plenty of options. I could have bought concrete or slate.
Some would say they are the best available materials. Slate also comes with a price around $700 a square.
25 year 3 tab, 30 year architectural or metal was also a possibility.
In the end I spent $17k on a metal roof because I considered how long I would stay in the house and how long I expected the roof to last.
I thought it was my best option.

I have a jig saw that costs 5 times what a cheap one from Sears cost.
Is it better? Sure is. I use it a lot so it's worth it. If I only used it a couple of times a year it wouldn't be.

When people show up at rallies I don't care what they're riding.
I'm just glad they came.

To me, in the end the bike that fits your wants and needs, suits your eye (The Nomad is one good looking bike) and fits your budget is your best option.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #19
Advanced Member

As long as I'm the one financing my choices, I could care less what anyone else thinks.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
As long as I'm the one financing my choices, I could care less what anyone else thinks.
My wife said it was ok to post that.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Quote:
My wife said it was ok to post that.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 11-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #22

I like to be a bit different. The cliché' of you should have bought a Harley got old for me years ago. I think they are fine well built machines that hold their value more than the metrics do. However with that said everywhere I ride they are there but in my neck of the woods there are not many Nomdads and it is nice to show up and have something different. Like I said before this is my fourth Vulcan and there is a reason for it. Dependable, customizable, great ride and look good.

2006 Nomad 1600 "Big Irish"
BatWing Fairing
12" KST Mayhem Dresser Bars
Demon Cycle Mirrors
Tunes supplied by Pioneer and Polk
Exhaust courtesy of Vance and Hines and Big City Thunder

Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #23

I ride Vulcan (obviously), but have also ridden many HDs. Its important to compare kit levels when looking at any two motorcycles.

The HD Ultra Classic and the Kawi Nomad are not even close to the same kit level. The Ultra is a closer comparison to the Voyager and Goldwing. The Nomad is closer to the Road King. The Classic is closest to the Softtail Heritage. Of course there is some room for argument in these pairings.

If you are looking for long open road touring...you'd want to compare the Voyager to the Ultra. This would be the same situation if you were looking at just HD or just Kawi. Dont compare the Classic to the Voyager if long road touring is your goal...they simply do not compare.

I have tested (in most cases over several day rentals)...Heritage Softtail; Dyna Switchback and Ultra Classic. In every case, I was so happy to get back to my Vulcan. In my case, I felt that the handling, riding position, balance, etc was simply better on the similarly kitted Kawi. That said, I really did feel that the Ultra once on the open road, was wonderful...around town...it sucked. The Dyna just rattled the hell outta me and the Softtail Heritage was just a slightly smaller version of my Classic 1700 at twice the price, or a more powerful version of my 900 Classic at three times the price.

The issue of cost...HD has a much higher base cost, depending on options. However the costs are pushing closer together when comparing like setups. That said the cost of upgrades is pretty close to identical, as 90% of them are going to be from 3rd parties anyway and they make the same upgrades for various brands of bikes.

The stock bit on the HD suck just as bad as the stock bits on the Kawi. So you are gonna replace the exhaust, the grips, the seat, the bars, the intake, etc.

In my opinion, the Kawi cruiser lineup is essentially the Japanese version of HD. Neither one particularly innovates or differentiates themselves in the marketplace. Both HD and Kawi are trying to make classic American-style cruisers.

Honda, Victory and Indian are all better in the innovation and differentiation departments.

I have only ever owned Kawasaki motorcycles...I am actually one my 4th or 5th one over the years. I have looked at all of them, but keep coming back to Kawi. I still have a desire to own some American iron...likely a Dyna Wide Glide or Softtail Deluxe, but I have not found one yet, where Kawi did not offer a better version.

This may change in years to come with Ma Kawi mostly abandoning their cruiser lineup.

Your mileage may vary.

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #24

My Dad has an Ultra and I have a Voyager. I have rode his several times and there is something about a HD. I think BudMan hit the nail on the head, its about your needs and wants. The trunk and bags on the HD are stout not like the Voyager, just one reason my Dad went with the HD. On the other hand he has had to deal with the overheating issues, starter and something to do with hot start-ups where it sounded like ball peen hammers was banging around inside the motor.
VBA #02587

Old 11-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to MJ07Nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbait53 View Post
It's been 26 years since I've owned a motorcycle. Because of available funds, I bought a Vulcan Nomad for pleasure trip cruisin ( 200 miles or less per trip).
My question is this. Is a Harley Davidson Road King (similar to our bikes) a better ride, better quality than a Nomad? Everyone in my area (North Alabama) seems to ride a Harley Davidson. I feel inadequate because I don't own a 15000 or 20000 dollar bike. Is a Harley really that much better? Or is it just a status thing? There are some things about my 1600 Nomad that I don't like. Shaft drive and Hydraulic clutch, but other than that I like the Nomad. What is it about the Harley that everyone likes?
I already had my say but I assumed you where talking about a 1600 Nomad and a Road King (2001 to 2008). If you are talking about any Kaw newer then 2009 to a 2009 and up Road King, then my answer would be YES the Road King is a better bike for the money and the ride. Kaw no longer makes the 1600 Nomad (after 2008) and the 1700 Vulcans are (to me) over priced for what you get, and if you add to them the price will be very close to a Road King. With that said when my 07 Nomad is done and I need other bike I still would not get a HD Road King I would want the Ultra Classic (new) and that is too much money for me. When the time comes I will have to shop around and see what is out there and what fits me and my budget.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #26

I've ridden both. The road king I was on was nice, but not worth the extra $. No way, no how. The nomad does everything as well. If you are caught up the the Harley "I gotta have one" craze, then go get one. No sense riding and not having total enjoyment.
VROC #7159
COG #8603
VBA #3204
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Old 11-07-2015, 01:58 AM   #27

Let's see. Go on a Kawasaki web site and ask if Harley Davidson is better than a Nomad?

I wonder what the answers will be.

We're not even in winter yet and here come the stupid posts.

This place has sure changed.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Let's see. Go on a Kawasaki web site and ask if Harley Davidson is better than a Nomad?

I wonder what the answers will be.

We're not even in winter yet and here come the stupid posts.

This place has sure changed.
Well Dave where else would one go to ask the question?
I don't think this it was a stupid question. I wanted opinions from those experienced with these bikes. I appreciate those that have given good answers on here, not so much the sarcastic one's.

Barry
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
2008 Vulcan 900 LT (sold)
Trinity, Al.
Roll Tide

Old 11-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #29

they sound better

Old 11-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #30
VBA Founder

Don't let the negatives get you down Bearbait. The question you ask is a good one. It's been asked many times and will probably be asked again.

I've always looked at it from the standpoint of "what's the best motorcycle for my needs and pocketbook". That's what it really gets down to, doesn't it? There are no right or wrong answers. It's your decision, your life and your money. Just have the confidence that the motorcycle you bought is taking care of the needs you have in riding two-wheels. Your needs may change in the future, but then, they may not... it's up to you and you alone.

Revel in what you have now and enjoy the support structure in place here.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip