Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Clutch problems

So I've had my 05 1500 with roughly 6k miles for about six months. It's my first hydraulic clutch and I've never been thrilled with the feel of the clutch. I've tried all different settings on the lever and nothing makes a big difference.

It doesn't seem to have a noticeable friction zone and engages rather late in my opinion. One thing I've found is that after riding for an hour or so, the clutch is grabby and doesn't engage smoothly, especially when I've rolled up to a stop sign or light and do a California stop. If I stop and put it in neutral and release and then engage the clutch again, it is smoother, but still not great.

My buddy who has had both cable and hydro said that I just need to release the handle faster since it is a hydro clutch.

I'm running Valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil in it by the way.

I've seen about changing my clutch springs, but don't know if that would help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

These clutches have never had a great feeling to them, and most tend to start grabbing in the last half of their travel. Installing a Mean Streak or Barnett clutch spring is an improvement, but the first thing you should do is change the brake fluid in the clutch and make sure it is well bled.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #3

I changed the fluid after I bought the bike, but maybe I'll do it again just to see if it improves.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Adjusting the lever is only for comfort. It has nothing to do with where the clutch engages. It does engage towards the end of the release as stated. Bleeding the clutch is certainly a good thing as well as the brakes since you just got it. You will get used to its sensitivity as you ride more. I have 28k on my 05 and have no slipping so can't comment on changing the spring. There are lots of threads on it though. Congrats on the new bike.
VBA #02482

VROC # 36172

Old 11-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #5

And somehow I forgot to mention that the bike always jerks a little when I put it into first as if the clutch was not fully engaged.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #6

I started having problems with my 03 1500 Nomad, slipping pretty regular. Tried fluid change and bleeding only thing left was the spring so I got everything needed together. Before the big day I took some advice and did maintenance on the levers. MINE were some kind of stiff. So now I know why the clutch felt like pudding. A good cleaning and Never-Seize everything works like a charm. Like I said, now I have all the parts when time comes.

The Herd
03 1500 Nomad
94 EN500 Vulcan
95 Virgo 250
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3267.jpg (98.8 KB, 6 views)