Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #1

Lowering

I'm 5'5. Kind of hard to push around my 1700 Nomad at the garage/parking lot especially backing into a bit of uneven asphalt. Planning to add a few inches to the sole of my bike boots to help flat foot in moving this beast around tight spots. I'm not really too crazy about putting on those lowering kits, etc. My question is: would it harm the bike too much if I change the front tire from a 16' to a 15' rim to lower the bike? Any inputs will be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #2

That's a lot of work and expense for a small gain... A 15" rim would only get you half an inch drop. Wouldn't it be easier to move the triple tree down the fork tubes the same amount?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 05-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Lowering using the forks is a better ides. It will have less of an impact on the handling and is all but free. Going to a 1" smaller wheel might not even give you that 1/2" drop. The tires available might be of a size that the outside diameter is almost the same.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

How hard to lower the forks. Do I have to disassemble the front tires. Can I just loosen the bolts on the clamps and drop the triple tree without raising the front tires? Would there be a difference in the handling when riding? Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:47 AM   #5

The forks would have to come right off.

On most bikes you could simply loosen the clamps and slide the fork tubes up the steering stem as far as you want them. On the Voyager / Vaq, you have to take the forks right out, so you can get to the clamps under the fork shrouds, that hold those shrouds in place.

Those little clamps have to be moved down the tubes first, half an inch, one inch, whatever, (measure carefully and make them identical each side) and then the fork tubes can be re-installed in the steering stem.

Edit: And don't be too quick to write off the lowering links for the rear. I've had a bit to do with Luverne Kaw for details of another project I've worked on, and they do good things. On your Nomad you'd have to modify the bag brackets though.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Peg; 05-05-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchacoy View Post
How hard to lower the forks. Do I have to disassemble the front tires. Can I just loosen the bolts on the clamps and drop the triple tree without raising the front tires? Would there be a difference in the handling when riding? Thanks for the quick reply.
A motorcycle has only one front tire.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #7

In the manual there is a front clamp cover to take out so that you can turn the fat upper chrome forks covers in order to align the bolts that hold the forks. Once these bolts are loosened, the forks can be move around.That means when the forks are raised few inches, these clamp bolts won't be aligned anymore? How then will I tighten for the forks to stay in place. Oh well, I'll probably leave as is, just need to perfect my tip toe-ing in pushing the bike around the driveway/parking lot. Thanks anyway good people for all your replies. And Cactusjack, I was dreaming of the cam-spyder thinking of 2 front tires. Sorry.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #8

It's easy enough... You just have three clamps to move down each fork tube slightly instead of the normal two, and have to take the tubes right out to get to one of them.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Much easier to modify the seat for a lower seat height ?

Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Much easier to modify the seat for a lower seat height ?
I have done some seat modification myself, not for the height, I'm 6'1", but for comfort. What I can tell you is this...

It's a lot of work, and more difficult than you would think. You can do seat mods to go from tip-toes to flat footed at a stop by narrowing the front portion of the seat and giving it a bit of a downward roll on the edges, but if this is the route you want to take, I would highly recommend taking it to a pro. The results will be much more comfortable...and even...
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 05-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #11

Buchacoy, I feel your pain about "tip toeing" around with your bike. Please don't be intimidated into thinking it's too much work to lower your bike, it isn't. Peg is correct, lowering your forks is easier than you think. If you don't want to tackle it yourself take it into your local shop and have them raise the fork tubes up 5/8". Take our lowering link with you and have them install at the same time. I promise you will fall in love with your bike all over again. You will say it was worth it in the end. If not call me and return the links and I'll refund your money. Yes, I'm that confident.
Rick
507-283-1800

Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #12

i am 5'6" and have the same issue. I installed an aftermarket Air Shocks kit designed for a Harley on my Voyager with the compressor in the truck. Only thing I had to do to the kit was make a sleeve for the Shock Eye bushings so it would fit our mounts. With the press of a button I can almost lay my exhaust on the ground. If not for my trainer hitch they would be on the ground. Then a flip of a switch or press of a remote it rises back up to a reasonable ride hight. Infinitely adjustable on the go for two up and trailering. I have 12,000 miles on the set-up, trailered two up last summer for 6000 miles over three weeks from Ontario Canada to Arizona. Was amazing. Was not difficult to install at all. Running all the wires was probably the biggest pain and taking off the trunk and side bags and tank.

Not to mention to looks and comments at the local Costco/Grovery store when I pull into a parking spot and hit the switch and it goes swoosh and drops 4-5 inches and the guy in the hot rod beside me starts to drool and says "did your bike just do what i think I saw it do?!?!" So...installed for practice reasons and as a bonus got a huge cool factor and conversation piece because people love to ask about it.
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Last edited by Zeineth; 05-14-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #13

Luvernekaw, can you explain exactly how the shock brackets need to be modified on the Nomad to accommodate your lowering links? Do they need to be relocated or just modified where they are? Is welding required? Do you have any pics? Thanks!

VBA #01922

Old 05-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #14

Pitchinguy, Send me an email and I'll send you a copy of the link installation and the saddlebag support modification instructions for your Nomad. email: Luvernekaw@iw.net. Or you can give me a call (preferred). 507-283-1800.
For anyone else who's interested I'll say again. The Vaquero is a direct bolt on. The Nomad and Voyager are also a direct bolt on for the links but also require the saddlebag support be moved to the rear 3/4" to give clearance so that the support bracket doesn't hit the shock when suspension is compressed.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #15

I just installed lowering links. Only about a 100 mi. But like the feel. Much more comfortable. Will have the front done later. will post again after more mi.