Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

Lowest tyre mileage yet.

I just had to replace both tyres,the front had a rear tyre on it so it wont pass the MOT like that.The rear has only done about 1000 miles and its illegal already. I am going to have to give some thought to fitting a car tyre on the back,this is getting too expensive,and a pain in the arse to change them so often.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #2

What's your air pressure in both tires?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Advanced Member

A thousand miles? Are you doing non-stop burnouts?

Old 07-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Dark side web page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I just had to replace both tyres,the front had a rear tyre on it so it wont pass the MOT like that.The rear has only done about 1000 miles and its illegal already. I am going to have to give some thought to fitting a car tyre on the back,this is getting too expensive,and a pain in the arse to change them so often.
Hi Mick
Go to this website. It can assist you on selecting a tyre for your skoot. It shows what others have run and what pressures worked for them.

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires

I went with a Yokohama Avid Ascend LRR. The LRR stands for light rolling resistance. When I first installed the tire my mileage dropped about 1 mpg. I had 42 psi in it and it wanted to drift a little in the turns. The tire is rated for 1356 pounds @ 51 psi. In the end I set the pressure @ 51 psi. It doesn't drift anymore, the fuel milage came up about 2 mpg prior to using this tire, and the ride is so much smother.

I have a little over 10,000 miles on it now and it don't show any wear.

I can't see myself ever going back to an m/c tyre.

Hope this helps.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #5

[QUOTE=recumbentbob;666334]What's your air pressure in both tires?

36-38psi,40 if i am towing the trailer.I've been getting about 4000m out of a back tyre for the last 3 or 4 of them.I fitted Judges washers recently,that causes more friction between the tyre and the road when changing down through the gearbox. I am not about to start riding like an old fart,so i either go over to a car tyre, or sell the bike.Which i really dont want to do.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
A thousand miles? Are you doing non-stop burnouts?

Riding in England is totally different to what you blokes do.We have twisting roads everywhere.I am forever accelerating & braking hard,whilst up & down the gearbox.The back tyre is rarely in constant motion for more than a couple of minutes.The front will do around 1500 miles.I checked the brake pads while i have the wheels out,they all need replacing after about 5000 miles too.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Hi Mick
Go to this website. It can assist you on selecting a tyre for your skoot. It shows what others have run and what pressures worked for them.

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires

I went with a Yokohama Avid Ascend LRR. The LRR stands for light rolling resistance. When I first installed the tire my mileage dropped about 1 mpg. I had 42 psi in it and it wanted to drift a little in the turns. The tire is rated for 1356 pounds @ 51 psi. In the end I set the pressure @ 51 psi. It doesn't drift anymore, the fuel milage came up about 2 mpg prior to using this tire, and the ride is so much smother.

I have a little over 10,000 miles on it now and it don't show any wear.

I can't see myself ever going back to an m/c tyre.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the reply mate,but i need to talk to someone who rides in England.It really is a different thing alltogether.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Are you buying cheap tires ? What brand are you buying ?
I rode bikes and cars in the U.K and got much better mileage than 1,000 miles a tire.

And yes, driving in the U.K is harder on every component on the bike.

It is not uncommon here in Ontario to get 12,000 miles from a rear tire and 30,000 miles from a set of brake pads.

For you it is the price you pay for being in the land of 26 million vehicles on an island that fits into Ontario 9 times :)

Last edited by redjay; 07-26-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #9

Hey Redjay.I normally only get 4000 ish,no matter what tyre i use,but i've fitted the Judges washers,and been towing the trailer a bit.Both of which eat the shit out of the back tyre.I am looking at various forums, trying to decide what car tyre to use next time around.But as yet, nobody with any experience of the English riding style,has commented.Plenty of straight line Americans/Canadians,who go around the occaisional bend at 40mph,and brake twice a day though,and none of them can agree on what's any good. As for the size of this country,it was allright until they opened the gates to let all the ragheads in.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Driving in the U.K is not like it used to be, that's for sure.

Legislation, and the increased number of vehicles, have spoiled any pleasure derived from driving over there. Speed cameras, speed bumps, lower speed limits, high cost of gas, cars parked on both sides of narrow streets and on and on.

I rented a car for the first 2 weeks I was recently there and then used public transport for 2 weeks after that. $7 a day for unlimited use of the bus system so I was out during the day and then out again after supper for a few bevvies at the pub. Much cheaper than a taxi and no rental car to worry about getting damaged or stolen.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

Driving in the U.K is not like it used to be, that's for sure.

Luckily i live in the country,where its quiet,and has none of the things you mentioned.I had to go into Southampton recently,and it drove me nuts.I could'nt live in a city.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #12

I just figured out why that tyre wore out so fast,its a front tyre,and the fitter just put it on in the direction of the arrow,without looking to see if it was a front or rear.So i reckon that dispels any argument about all tyres being the same if you turn them around.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I just figured out why that tyre wore out so fast,its a front tyre,and the fitter just put it on in the direction of the arrow,without looking to see if it was a front or rear.So i reckon that dispels any argument about all tyres being the same if you turn them around.
So you're saying you had a rear on the front...and a front on the rear? Really?

VBA# 02595
2004 Nomad VN1500L5 FI
1999 HD Superglide Sport (SOLD)
2009 BMW F650GS

Old 07-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by toogun View Post
So you're saying you had a rear on the front...and a front on the rear? Really?

Wierd as it sounds,yes.I ordered a rear tyre and they sent a front.It was'nt noticed until the tyre fitter was about to put it on,and i needed the bike right away,so on it went.The rear tyre was on the front because i could'nt find a front one at the time.I go through rear tyres so often,that i decided to let it be that way until i needed another one.