Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #121
Sr. Contributor

Test drove a Can Am Spyder RT-SE5 today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Sounds like your impressions were similar to mine. The "tail-of-the-dog" problem was resolved once I realized I was over-steering by holding the bars too tight. Once I loosen the grip it mellowed-out.

The difference between a traditional-trike and these is that on the trad-trike... the back-end seems to wag the front-end; where the opposite occurs on the Spyders.

I didn't notice the heat like you said; although I have heard of that being a problem. Having a HD... I am kind-of used to the heat-issue. I have a heat-shield on my pants!!!

I find it interesting that I am noticing a fair number of those owning these things are former and current BMW owners. There are, of course, people that owned other bikes also, but largest number appear to be those who own or owned BMW's. One guy even owned a BMW dealership. Sorry Ponch!
A lot of BMW riders like the technical stuff, the gadgetry, the sophistication. There are a fair amount that came from HD and never looked back. My bike doesn't have every option, and that's fine, although I wouldn't mind having TPM and ASC. I don't care about radios, built in BT and GPS. One thing I know is that cruise control, ABS and heated grips are must haves on any bike I buy again.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #122

It does appear the "technology" is the appeal to this group... which doesn't surprise me.

I had also read somewhere that BRP had done some work with BMW on an engine design for them at one time -- or at least a component to an engine. I am not sure if the beemers still use whatever they provided at that time in their engines now or not... but apparently this gave some credibility to BRP for the beemer-crowd. Sorry, but I cannot seem to find details on that... I just occasionally hear someone make brief reference to it.

One problem that seems to be consistent with these things IS the technology. It seems much of the bike's functions are controlled by the computer... and there are constantly issues with the software settings. I hear where there are always updates for the owners to get.

I assume if the "computer" every takes a dump... it would get real expensive to fix or replace. I didn't see where their extended warranty even covers it.

Something to think about I guess...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #123

Quote:
It does appear the "technology" is the appeal to this group... which doesn't surprise me.

I had also read somewhere that BRP had done some work with BMW on an engine design for them at one time -- or at least a component to an engine. I am not sure if the beemers still use whatever they provided at that time in their engines now or not... but apparently this gave some credibility to BRP for the beemer-crowd. Sorry, but I cannot seem to find details on that... I just occasionally hear someone make brief reference to it.

One problem that seems to be consistent with these things IS the technology. It seems much of the bike's functions are controlled by the computer... and there are constantly issues with the software settings. I hear where there are always updates for the owners to get.

I assume if the "computer" every takes a dump... it would get real expensive to fix or replace. I didn't see where their extended warranty even covers it.

Definitely something that must be considered. In my industry, I live and breathe the latest technology, mostly all computer based. And it doesn't matter how sophisticated it is, how top of the line it is, how dependable it is....it WILL fail at the least opportune time! Like when there are tens of thousands of people staring at you in the sound booth, discussing a lynching!

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 07-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #124

To some small degree Daryl... I know the exact feeling you are describing. I have been there, only fortunately for me, I was one of the musicians.

The were panicking and running around with their heads cut-off trying to find and fix the problem.

Only difference is... back then... nothing was computerized. So it typically was a solder-joint, broken wire, blown-fuse, or a cracked circuit-board. Sometimes it was as simple as a power-cord not plugged-in all the way.

Once I remember a beer was spilled on the mixer... that didn't work out too well. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #125

Geez Greg, I didn't know you played for Lawrence Welk.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #126
Sr. Contributor

Quote:

The BMW 650s use a Rotax engine as does the Can Am. May be that's the linkage. The BMWs have lots of computer stuff. Mine has one just to control the electrical. No fuses at all, just computer controlled CANbus circuits. For the most part, I haven't heard much of computer problems, but there are issues with beemers: Fuel strip. They don't use a float system, but rather wire resistance to measure fuel capacity. Some people have had them replaced several times. Final drive issues. Supposedly BMW has extended some coverage to pay for 75% of cost out of warranty. I will have to check this. Warrantees are 3 years unlimited mileage. BMW does not offer extended warrantees, they are third party. It does come with roadside assistance though... The only other things to watch out for are brake fluid changes (because of the ABS) and the ESA, which is electronic suspension adjustment. Neither are cheap to fix out of warranty. As long as the brake fluid is changed once a year, there shouldn't be any issues. As far as ESA goes, it's anyone's guess on when and where, but must riders get Ohlins to replace them at half the cost. That's about it.

What I can tell you is this: When everything works, it's f@#$ing incredible. When it doesn't, it sucks and if it's not under warranty, expect a nice bill. If you are ever near a BMW dealer, not only check out the K1600, but also a low suspension RT (Most have at least one in stock). I bet you'd like that even better. Losing a 300 lbs would transform the riding experience.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 07-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
BMW does not offer extended warrantees, they are third party.

Are not all of them 3rd party? Personally, I believe they are the biggest sucker-sale item. Cash cow for the sellers.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #128
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
BMW does not offer extended warrantees, they are third party.

Are not all of them 3rd party? Personally, I believe they are the biggest sucker-sale item. Cash cow for the sellers.
Kawasaki sells extended warrantees. Actually it's called the GTPP. Good Times Protection Plan. It doesn't cover everything, but it's cheap enough it's a no brainer.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #129

Quote:
To some small degree Daryl... I know the exact feeling you are describing. I have been there, only fortunately for me, I was one of the musicians.

The were panicking and running around with their heads cut-off trying to find and fix the problem.

Only difference is... back then... nothing was computerized. So it typically was a solder-joint, broken wire, blown-fuse, or a cracked circuit-board. Sometimes it was as simple as a power-cord not plugged-in all the way.

Once I remember a beer was spilled on the mixer... that didn't work out too well. ;)
I didn't know you were a musician Greg. That's cool. I made my living for 15 years as a professional musician. But I always knew that there would coma a day when I wasn't young and pretty anymore, and no one would want to see my fat ass on the stage, so I began studying audio in my early twenties so I would have some skills behind the scenes that would keep me working in the industry. What did you play? What genre of music?
Sorry to highjack the thread, but you've piqued my interest!
Of course, if we can go from Can Am to BMW, I think we can squeeze in a music question!

Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 07-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #130
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogooroo
Quote:

I didn't know you were a musician Greg. That's cool. I made my living for 15 years as a professional musician. But I always knew that there would coma a day when I wasn't young and pretty anymore, and no one would want to see my fat ass on the stage, so I began studying audio in my early twenties so I would have some skills behind the scenes that would keep me working in the industry. What did you play? What genre of music?
Sorry to highjack the thread, but you've piqued my interest!
Of course, if we can go from Can Am to BMW, I think we can squeeze in a music question!
He plays drums. I used to too...I bet there are a lot of musicians in KawaNOW.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 07-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #131

So next National Rally, we jam? :)

Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #132
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogooroo
So next National Rally, we jam? :)
Bringing a drum kit is prohibitive.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 07-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #133

They have those little electric drum sets. You could fit one of those in your luggage.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #134
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
They have those little electric drum sets. You could fit one of those in your luggage.
I've played both Yamaha and Roland and didn't care for the feel or lack of it. I don't think they would fit in the luggage either. The one thing that sucked about playing out is setup and breakdown.

Of course it's not as bad as Neil's set:

[flash=350,287:soz5t4nv]http://www.youtube.com/v/fXAhK-QcOXU&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:soz5t4nv]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/300x250.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #135

Wow, never realized how much it took to set up.
How does that guy know where to set all those poll thingies
Years and years of practice I suppose. ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]